The nVidia Graphics web drivers cause shutdown/reboot panic 10.9.4

MilesMan

5 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am very well aware of the openCL bug with graphics power management on nVidia cards. (the one where the clock would be stuck and the temp will run hot).

I am also aware that the nVidia web drivers they have released have fixed the problem. 

I have recently updated to 10.9.4, and have updated the web drivers and cuda drivers as well, however now I get kernel panics on shutdown and reboot relating to those graphics kexts. These panics never happened on 10.9 - 10.9.3. It will panic and reset my CMOS every time i attempt to shut down my computer. With the original OSX kexts it shuts down normally, however the clock will get stuck when opening preview or other apps. 

I was wondering if this is an isolated incident, or if the web drivers are broken for everyone on 10.9.4?

Is there a way to prevent this panic? I strongly prefer using the web drivers as they provide a noticeable increase in performance on my system.

I am using an nVidia Geforce GT 640

• 1 month later...

I had this same issue on 10.9.4 with a GTX 650 Ti, but leave my system on 24/7 so it wasn't anything more than a minor annoyance (that I could never find a solution to). 10.9.5 and the updated nVidia drivers did seem to resolve it for me as well, at least based on my very limited testing (2 restarts).

ACTUALLY, on second thought, it still panics. On every single shutdown/reboot. With web drivers or no web drivers. I have just discovered it happens on 10.9.4 and 10.9.5. 

Except on 10.9.5 it still continues to shutdown instead of freezing.

I have also found out that it panics on the 10.10 Public Beta 4 that was just released as well. I am starting to think this is a compatibility issue with the card and I have no idea how to fix it.

The computer still shuts down, it just displays a panic message if I booted in verbose. It is really odd.

Mine was different then.  On 10.9.4, the system would reboot/shutdown, but on next boot OS X would give me the error report dialog for the system getting a kernel panic during the reboot process, with the traceback always indicating the nVidia graphics driver.