hackintosh moved to new 2tb hdd - freeze and disk full

truztruz

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently buyed a 2tb seagate barracuda sata HDD and moved my previous 10.9.0 installation taht was on a 120 thosiba drive using disk utility.

I have a stange problem now :(

When I try to install a big application such as final cut (3.9 gb) installation fail saying that disk is full but it is not !!! over 400 gb free on osx partition..... so running disk utility it says that disk must be repaired as there is invalid BTree and various missing id threads.

After this I also get internet access freeze.

I have already made a re-partition and re-format of disk but the problem is the same, and It appears only when using big files.

Should it be a buffer problem. Is it a known problem of Mavericks?

What should I try?

Thank you.

You used to be able to use Disk Utility to do that while running the operating system not anymore, changed with Mountain Lion I think. Now the way to clone your system is to boot from the Recovery HD if you have it and use Disk Utility or if no recovery then SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner will do it without problems.

To clone my hdd I used maverick usb installer, so I restored osx installation from old 160gb to new 2tb hdd using disk utility.

Have I made something wrong?

Why mavericks corrupts my new osx partition when I try to manage large files?

thank you

That is the same as booting from recovery so should be alright, in that case I have no clue. Unless other than this, if that is the entire drive you are using for the operating system boot volume then that could be it, I seem to remember reading somewhere no greater than 1tb for a boot volume. So go with less than 1tb for the operating system partition and see how that goes.

Well certainly does seem strange indeed, think I am out of ideas on this other than bad hard drive only thing left perhaps stupid BIOS problem as well. I have cloned dozens if not over a hundred times and have never seen a problem like this.

I  have Maverick installed on a 250G usb drive. saved me more than once. 

I would have 3 Guid partions on the 2T drive.> 1fat > 1 journal > 1 efat.

first one 500G win 8.1 or Yosemite, second 1T for maverick , third 500 for efat storage (win8.1 doesn't recognized  efat.)

I create a new image and put it in efat .

I boot to usb maverick and to restore when needed.

I tried to do a fresh install of mavericks...... now I get the following error on boot after Chameleon install. 

Loading Operating System …

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: error

Could this be related to my previous problems??

@truztruz,

The boot0 error usually results from installing chameleon on an "advanced format/4k" hard drive.

The fix is to manually copy the boot1h file from chameleon binaries to the boot sector of the OSX partition.  Procedure from @iFire's post in this old thread. 

Download chameleon binaries i386 folder or locate it on your chameleon USB installer (in usr/standalone)
1. open the i386 folder and copy boot1h to the root directory of your USB installer
2. boot from the USB installer and open utilities/terminal app
3. type diskutil list to identify your disk and the partition where you installed OSX eg disk0s2
4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2
5. type cd /
6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096
7. reboot

PS

Since you have a UEFI capable motherboard, I recommend you to try Clover and boot in UEFI mode.  This avoids the boot0 error altogether and will also result in a faster boot...

PPS

IMHO, the best utility for managing GPT drives is "GDisk" (man page for GDisk).  It can diagnose and fix many problems on GPT drives that Disk Utility cannot eg running it on my hard drive (disk0) shows "valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT" ----> all OK :)

sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
Password:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): ?
b	back up GPT data to a file
c	change a partition's name
d	delete a partition
i	show detailed information on a partition
l	list known partition types
n	add a new partition
o	create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)
p	print the partition table
q	quit without saving changes
r	recovery and transformation options (experts only)
s	sort partitions
t	change a partition's type code
v	verify disk
w	write table to disk and exit
x	extra functionality (experts only)
?	print this menu

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/disk0: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): ABA12A67-AB54-4E87-B1B6-C6C30F519742
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 21 sectors (10.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640       243282135   115.8 GiB   AF00  OSXDell
   3       243282136       244551679   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD
   4       244551680       244813823   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part
   5       244813824       732633087   232.6 GiB   0700  SHARED DATA
   6       732633088       976773119   116.4 GiB   0700  Basic data partition

Perhaps you can upload the results of running GDisk on your 2TB drive?

ok, done a new fresh install of mavericks again and followed fusion71 au instructions.

now osx starts and also bootloader seems to work fine.

I think now it's time to test my hdd with some good diagnostic software in order to check if all is fine.

Could you please suggest me a good one, showing bad sectors, mechanical / spinning problems etc..

Thank you !

ok, done a new fresh install of mavericks again and followed fusion71 au instructions.

now osx starts and also bootloader seems to work fine.

I think now it's time to test my hdd with some good diagnostic software in order to check if all is fine.

Could you please suggest me a good one, showing bad sectors, mechanical / spinning problems etc..

Thank you !

Seatools.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

seatools used and no problems were found on my disk

It seems that restoring my previous installation from old 120 Gb HD to new 4k 2TB drive, created some sort of bad writing bug or something similar.

Crossing fingers as problem seems now solved.

Thank you for your help.