BIOS shows 4 separate bootable partitions labled "UEFI OS" - Can't figure out how to remove them.

froglegs

5 posts in this topic

I've been messing around with Yosemite and in the process of trying to get everything working, I've reinstalled the OS multiple times.

I noticed a bunch of bootable partitions in my BIOS (ASUS Rampage IV Formula) but figured they were just recovery partitions or something.

I just did a complete wipe of my hard drive to remove them (wrote zeros to the entire drive using a bootable linux distro) and they still show up.

I don't have anything else plugged into the computer (no external USB drives or thumb drives) and there's only 1 internal hard drive.

I feel like I'm doing something incredibly stupid / missing something obvious but I can't seem to figure it out.

I used Clover to install Yosemite. I've been using Clover for awhile though and never had this problem in the past.

Does anybody know what might be causing this?

It happened to me too, the only way to fix this is to reset your CMOS and have the UEFI BIOS to re-detect the bootable partitions.

Nonetheless I still ended up with like 2-4 UEFI OS entries of all the same boot loader after a while.

Don't really think there's a fix for this but I don't think it's really an issue either since you just need to set one as the first bootable partition (so you can have Clover UEFI as your main boot loader (since it's UEFI-based and can load every other EFI boot loader for you)) and not have to bother with the F8 or F12 boot menu ever.

If you need full native resolution in your Clover boot loader just make sure CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is disabled and Secure Boot is set to Other OS. Otherwise you will have black borders around the Clover boot loader

Thanks a bunch for the info. I initially tried resetting the CMOS and it didn't remove the extra drives. Along these same lines though, I ended up re-flashing the BIOS and this finally solved the problem.

My ASUS board has the CMOS reset button on the back and I feel like this doesn't completely reset everything. I'm just glad I didn't mess anything up too badly (was starting to worry it might be something permanent).

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

1st option:

Try to boot a linux distro in uefi mode, then try to use efibootmgr to remove boot options...

Warning: do not use efibootmgr in a real mac, it can damage your firmware.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/installation.html

2nd option:

Take a look at mac command "bless", it´s the program to manage the boot options in mac...

Text extracted from previous link:

Mac OS X uses a program called bless to add options to the boot menu. The command sudo bless --setBoot --folder /path/ --file /path/loadername.efi makes the file/path/loadername.efi the Mac's default boot loader. This command works only on files stored on HFS+ partitions. To make a boot loader on the ESP the default, the syntax would be sudo bless --mount /Volumes/esp --setBoot --file /Volumes/esp/efi/path/loadername.efi, where the ESP is mounted at /Volumes/esp. The mactel-boot package includes a simple Linux equivalent to bless, but I have yet to try it.