When your job hands you a G5...

WhatTheTech

15 posts in this topic

...and says "do whatever you want with it" - it's VERY hard to stay in retirement. Hi to everyone who remembers me! For those who don't, I ran the short-lived G5Modders.com website as well as the soon-to-be-relaunched MacModders.com site! I have backups of the Ultimate G5 Modding thread as well as various other tutorials, guides, builds and whatnot that will be put back online - it's awesome to see people still modding away!

With a 24" iMac and a 15" Macbook Pro from work for home use, as well as a last-gen Mac Pro with a 30" ACD at my desk at work, it was easy to go into a retirement. I had two computers at home, one at work - what else could I want?

Well all that changed when we were clearing out some old junk (I work at a printing company) and came across an old dusty G5 in perfect condition besides a few minor scratches and labels stuck to it. After replacing the hard-drive and RAM...BLAM - up and running, well currently installing OS X Panther. I was told to keep it, since I'm pretty sure it doesn't run the Adobe CC 2014 suite...

IMG_5038.jpg

As much as I love that this is a fully-functional G5, for it to be useful for me, it's going to have to be gutted and replaced with a hackintosh. Besides, what's the fun of having a G5 case without ripping it open??

This will be a slow worklog - I have to pull all of my modding supplies out of storage, choose my parts, order one of TLH's fantastic trays...

Nice to be back, looking forward to seeing some old faces!

• Like 4

the best desktop PPC in terms of speed and probably the best desktop macintosh ever in terms of design.

It's always nice to hear these machines boot again... 

bong ;)

welcome back!

Hi,

I am still around checking the forum from time to time.

Hey man, good to see you around! Any current projects?

what i don´t get it is why panther? haha

Because those were the original disks that came with it! Also because it's kind of like stepping back in time - Panther was the first Apple OS I ever used on a regular basis :D

• Like 1

I'm currently pricing out my new build, as well as getting the Ultimate G5 Modding Resource thread back up and running! I know this was a huge help to many (with tens of thousands of visits) so I think it's about time to goes back up on the web ey?

http://www.macmodders.com/the-ultimate-g5-modding-thread/

This will be the link once it's live.

I've already done an anodized Mac Pro mod - I'm trying to figure out what else can be done...any suggestions on a cool mod I can do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When life hands you a G5....

Rip the guts and make a hackintosh in it :P;) .