Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (7520)

TheNavigator

104 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright so, there's a problem I'm facing right now. My Android phone doesn't even detect that the USB is connected when Yosemite's running. I tried connecting the phone to a real Mac running Yosemite and it worked. I tried connecting other phones to my laptop and they didn't work.

I tried searching for a fix but I found nothing.

Can someone help, please?

Most devices (read controllers) in computers use interrupts, IRQs that is. If interrupt is shared and not specifically assigned to a device there may be conflicts between them. So if HPET steals from EHCI, your USB ports will end up dead. To resolve possible IRQ conflicts you need to check IOInterruptSpecifiers property on devices in your IOReg and forcefully assign them via ACPI.

I have no idea how to do that, so please, please ELI5.

What I know is that it works on Mavericks (which was running at the same time along with Yosemite until yesterday. The phone never recognized the USB, not since DP1).

I searched for a bit and I found this topic, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/237750-fix-for-firewire-and-hpet-irq-conflict-using-dsdt/

I'll try that "remove AppleHPET.kext" fix and see how it will go. I'll make sure I back it up in case anything goes wrong.

Right now I'm having yet another problem. I can't get another display (using VGA) to work.

I use device properties thing with a string to make Yosemite recognize my graphics card. On Mavericks I removed that and I used IntelCapriFB=4, and it worked, but on Yosemite it doesn't.

Never mind. I replaced my files with the ones attached and now the graphics work. HDMI works as well, but VGA doesn't.

Any idea how to fix that?

org.chameleon.Boot.zip

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Chameleon screwed up Yosemite for some reason so I had to reinstall the whole thing. This time I used Olarila's bootable USB from here, http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5009 , instead of using the beta thing.

I booted the installer using Chameleon, I had to use "IGPEnabler=Yes IntelCapriFB=4 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle" to be able to boot. The installation went smooth.

Although the installer itself is modified, the installation is vanilla. I had to install everything myself. I started by using the same Extra folder in the first post, afterwards I installed the battery kext, sound kext, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, Elan kext, and Chameleon. It worked as perfectly as the previous thing. Hardware acceleration's there, touchpad is amazing, sound is clearer than Windows and Linux, everything's just smooth.

However, I'm having the same problem with my Android phone and the USB Wifi Dongle. And apparently NullCPUPowerManagement shouldn't be there. It was weird though that when I installed the Intel widget thing that shows whether turbo boost was on or not (on the previous installation, which had NullCPUPowerManagement installed as well), it showed that the processor did indeed go turbo at some points. Maybe it's a lower level than the OS and the turbo boost still actually works even with NullCPUPowerManagement there?

I'll edit the first post and add the new guide soon, using Olarila's installer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still stuck with that problem where "any" Android phone will not recognise that it's connected to a USB device when it's connected to Yosemite. I tried different cables, different phones, and I tried actual Macs, and in the end I made sure that the problem is with my own system.

I still can't even figure out how to start fixing it.

I also tested an iPod, it doesn't recognise the USB connection as well... :(

Fixed! I downloaded the kext from http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/ . Now my Android phone recognizes the USB connection. I don't have the dongle right now but I'll test that ASAP as well.

• 3 months later...

I'm posting a report (guide?) according to what I've been trying with my 15R SE..

1. Installation
- Install Yosemite with HackintoshZone (my Yosemite is 10.10.1) use IntelCapriFB=4
- Reboot to first boot, also with IntelCapriFB=4. Output will ALWAYS on HDMI
- HackintoshZone starts it fixes
- Reboot. Still on HDMI

2. Fixes

- Brightness : Patch DSDT to enable brightness control in Sys Prefs / Display and Fn F4-F5 work
- GFX: work by default to HDMI out
- Change output:

• LVDS (Laptop screen): IGPlatformID = 01660004
  • HDMI: IGPlatformID = 01660003 (?!)

- Wifi dongle: use driver 4in1_Wlan_11n_USB_MacOS10.9_MacOS10.10_Driver_83.28.10.03_UI_2.0.2
- CPU Power Management: (base guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/ )

• Remove NullCPUPowerManagement
  • Add to Chameleon plist

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>

• Generate ssdt, it should detect CPU automatically
  • Patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with AICPMPatch
  • sudo perl AICPMPatch.pl /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement --patch
  • Check with Intel Power Gadget

- TouchPad:

• Remove VoodooPS2Controller kext
  • Install ELAN 3.8.5

- USB & Wifi Dongle: work out of the box

Non working:

- VGA output

- HDMI Audio

- Display output change at runtime

GFX Safe-mode (output to LVDS): device-properties=Null 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 upgrade:

- AppleIntelFramebufferCapri needs to be repatched. After patching, it works normally.

- Apple HDA also need to be patched. After patching, it works as usual

- Native CPU power management needs to be redone. I regenerated SSDT with ssdtPRgen.sh, remove Null cpu power management and repatch AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement (to avoid kernel panic). Works afterward.

- I used the old chameleon plist from 10.10.2

In short, everything works perfectly on 10.10.3 now :)

10.10.3.kexts.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Another short reminder, I have to use chameleon 2463 (shipped as /boot with my hackintosh zone iso) in order to boot 10.10.3 with patched AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.

I attach it here if anyone needs it (simply overwrite /boot).