Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (7520)

TheNavigator

104 posts in this topic

So, this topic will host the progress of trying to install Yosemite on Dell Inspiron 7520. The guide underneath will be updated regularly according to the updates, therefore, whatever's in the "not working" list, the latest version here, or whatever's in the guide, is subject to change at any moment. In other words, just stay updated. Oh and please try to help figuring out how to fix stuff.

Guide

- Make sure you have an external USB mouse and keyboard. The installer only recognizes the touchpad, the installation recognizes neither.

- Use this method to prepare the USB installer. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298753-boot-usb-os-x-yosemite-chameleon/ . Use DP1 because probably later releases won't work. I tried using DP5, the installer didn't boot.

- Boot from the USB installer, it should boot perfectly. Use Disk Utility to format one of your partitions to Mac OS Journaled, and install. Sometimes having the mSATA above the SATA drive in the BIOS causes problems, so either unplug the SSD drive, but since that's a nightmare, just move the SATA drive above mSATA in the boot list through the BIOS, so when you press F12, SATA is the first thing there, while you manually choose to boot through the USB. Installing is straightforward, just do it.

- After finishing the installation, obtain the post installer and make sure that somehow you can access it through your Yosemite installation.

- Either delete all the AppleIntelHD kexts to be able to boot (make sure they're backed up, you're going to need them later), or use the Extra folder attached (the Extra package will enable the detection of your graphics card which will make Yosemite far faster, hardware acceleration still doesn't work though)

- Boot through your USB installer's bootloader and then choose your Yosemite installation partition. It should boot perfectly. Run the post installer, tick FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement and Laptop at the "custom installation" window

For fixing touchpad and keyboard:

- Download the latest kext from http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

- Repair permissions using Disk Utility. Do not use Kext Wizard.

- Run these commands, then reboot:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -a x86_64 -z -v 2
sudo kextcache -system-caches -v 2

For fixing graphics card detection:

- Make sure you downloaded the Extra package attached, unpack it, and copy the files to your /Extra/ directory, overwriting files that are already there

- Afterwards search for Delta upgrade packages. Updating to DP2 will enable hardware acceleration. Keep upgrading to DP4 (or even further, until DP7 (tested) upgrading is safe).

Fixing ethernet (and the appstore computer not verified problem):

- Use that kext, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287161-new-driver-for-realtek-rtl8111/

- Go to Library/Preferences/System Configuration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist - Empty your trash

- Remove all the services from your Settings -> Network pane, and apply

- Reboot

To hide that Bluetooth setup assistant window that shows up every single time you boot, go to Settings, Bluetooth, Advanced, and untick the first two options.

Stuff that isn't working (yet):

- WiFi (and dongles) doesn't work. I use Bluetooth tethering using my Android phone.

Extra.zip

Mine is Elan. I used Rehabman's latest kext and it worked perfectly, didn't multi gestures, though.

Now I'm trying to get the graphics acceleration to work. I'll try copying my 10.9.3 SMBIOS, copy the IntelHD kexts from the installation USB, and report.

It mentioned the kext, doesn't mention the daemon. I'll remove it anyway and try.

I'm still cloning the Yosemite installation to another device so I need some more time before trying anything new out.

So, right now the system info says "Intel HD Graphics 4000", but there's no hardware acceleration. The menu bars of the windows are not transparent, and clicking "Applications" in the dock renders it vertically too slow that it's visible, like lines.

I didn't try that Kext on OSXLatitude yet, will try it tomorrow.

Just tried adding "IGPEnabler=Yes GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to the boot flags, didn't work as well. I guess I need the IGP Identifier or something like that?

EDIT:

I found those. http://www.hackintoshosx.com/topic/21297-hd-4000-no-qeci-showing-only-4mb-vram/ and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298568-hd4000-login-screen-bug/

Looks like the IGPlatformID thing should work if I used the correct ID, and also if Chameleon supports that.

Any idea if I can do that with Chameleon?

you can simply use IntelCapriFB=3 GraphicsEnabler=Yes dart=0

That didn't work.

That's my org.chameleon.Boot.plist in case the flags are supposed to work while the plist file interferes with them. http://puu.sh/aRTaL/c644b09629.png

EDIT:

I googled a bit, and found out that I had to use "-v -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelCapriFB=4" if I have a resolution higher than 1600 X 900. Mine is 1920 X 1080, so I tried it, and it still didn't work.

I have dual graphics, beside the Intel I have ATI Radeon HD 7730M, so I tried "-v PCIRootUID=0" (as I do with Mavericks), but nope, still won't work.

EDIT:

I tried out other bootflags, combining IGPEnabler-Yes, PCIRootUID=0 (or 1), IntelCapriFB=4, and I couldn't get anything to work.

I just tried that Elantech driver, and the touchpad didn't even move the cursor. I doubted that it's Elantech so I booted to Ubuntu (Yep, I have Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04.1, Mavericks 10.9.3 and Yosemite DP1 running on this laptop), and it confirmed it's indeed Elantech (screenshot is attached).

I just tried that Elantech driver, and the touchpad didn't even move the cursor. I doubted that it's Elantech so I booted to Ubuntu (Yep, I have Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04.1, Mavericks 10.9.3 and Yosemite DP1 running on this laptop), and it confirmed it's indeed Elantech (screenshot is attached).

post-962341-0-42093500-1408009641_thumb.png

what is this string? with it, those flags and any other flag will never work for your vga. and combining igpenabler with it neither. use only the flags i told you, or change to 4 if get black screen. if your resolution is full hd you need dual link patch too. as well delete the ati and the amd kexts and rebuild cache.

and i don´t see the kext-dev-mode=1 in the boot args too.

about the elan kext, it didn´t work on mavericks?

Regarding graphics, I'll follow your advice and report back. I did that because on Mavericks it works perfectly with that configuration.

Regarding the Elan kext, nope, didn't even try. Should I?

I tried the Elantech kext with Mavericks and GOD that's amazing!

I checked if I missed removing a PS2 kext on Yosemite, couldn't find anything there. Looks like the kext doesn't work with Yosemite :(

Just tried removing that device ID thing from chameleon, along with the resolution setting. I tried IntelCapriFB=3 but the login screen would be filled with pink horizontal distortion with a grey background. IntelCapriFB=4 worked, it detected the graphics card, but still, hardware acceleration wouldn't work. I set the resolution to 1366 X 768, but still, same thing.

Touchpad still doesn't work although kext shows success at loading the keyboard when I boot with verbose.

you must use all the vanilla kexts for intelhd. must be at s/l/e with proper permissions and cache.

did you remove the string from boot.plist? if not, your graphics will never work properly. lose the string.

for trackpad, you can try earlier versions see if it works on yosemite. if works right on mavs, use the latest one on it. it is a great kext indeed.

I already did. It's exactly the same, graphics driver is detected, no QE/CI

Can you please pack all the AppleIntel* kexts since you have Yosemite and send them in? Including the framebuffer and the SNB, please.

And weirdly enough, that string thing enables QE/CI on Mavericks.

Yep, that's exactly what I did, I removed the string, used your flags, but nope, it's still the same. It recognizes the graphics card but QE/CI doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure it isn't because of the cache because I rebooted once after I removed the string and the graphics card wasn't detected, used your flags, and it became detected, but with no QE/CI.

Is there a way to extract those kexts from InstallESD.dmg?

EDIT:

Looks like these guys have the same problem, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298591-intel-hd-4600-qeci-yosemite/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2031468 , except that it's a different card.

However, looks like it works with DP2, according to this guy, therefore, I'll wait until DP5 is downloaded and then I'll do this allover again.

I couldn't even boot DP5 installer. Check the screenshot attached.

I'm gonna try out MacPwn though.

EDIT: Never mind. The title thing isn't fixed so I doubt it'll work. I guess I just hit a dead end.

post-962341-0-85168000-1408297690_thumb.jpg