Install OS X 10.9 in VirtualBox, AMD Athlon 64 on Host

61 posts in this topic

I had the speed problem too.

There are two possible solutions.

Change the kernel. There is a 10.9.0 kernel (I think it's DeeKay) which does that, but another that's 10.9.4 (found on this site) cures it.

Later I discovered that using Clover as a boot loader cures the problem even on the kernel that does it.

....if you need to use the kernel that's "fast" for a short while, try getting to the setup of the keyboard and turn the speed of the repeat setting to "none"....or all the way to the left.

Thanks man!

I'm going to try with both Deekay and Bronya 's kernel.

Can you please tell me how to install Clover as bootloader?

Thank you so much.

Thanks man!

I'm going to try with both Deekay and Bronya 's kernel.

Can you please tell me how to install Clover as bootloader?

Thank you so much.

Google for Clover Configurator....that can download an install the newest Clover (and older versions, along with Betas).

It's also good just for configuring clover, rather than full manual installation.

The key, which eluded me for a long while, is to tell the configurator to add clover as a boot option to the EFI.

The alternative to that is to choose the "VM/Power To Bios" option, then select the boot manager configuration, then add a boot option to boot from a file.

The file you're going to boot from is typically installed on your Mac main boot drive in EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.

That boots clover, from which you select to boot Mac, choose boot options (kernel flags for example), etc.

The Configurator can help choose a machine ID and CPU ID (so your About this mac claims it's an Intel Xeon, for example), and so forth.

Good work guys now we just need a Yosemite AMD Kernel.

• Like 1

Kernels

DeeKay 10.9/10.9.1/10.9.2/10.9.3 v2.1 --> System way too fast

DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 --> needs bootflag (and i have no idea on how to boot with bootflags)

Bronya 10.9.4 rc3 v.1 --> bootloop

Boot flags either requires manual editing of the config.plist (using whatever method your bootloader requires, if you're using one) - or....it's in the Clover Configurator, and I believe Chameleon has a similar configurator. Also, in either, if you configure for a menu to appear from the bootloader, Clover (and others) gives an opportunity to enter boot flags for that boot session.

You have the right kernels. Bronya's ran ok but seemed slower to me for some reason. Deekay 10.9.4 is doing well for me at the moment, but I didn't really need to apply the bootflag it says is required.

Clover, with tweaks I don't actually recall, made both of those DeeKays run about the same under 10.9.4

I'm keeping an eye on Bronya. That could shape up to be superior at some point. I tried others only to realize they were for FX, which I don't have here.

Thanks @Hacker Pro !!

Correct me if i'm wrong. Assuming i have MountainLion as a working VMWare Image, my steps will be:

1. add an harddrive to MountainLion choosing Mavericks .vmdk downloaded from google

2. download the kernel compatible with AMD CPU

3. copy that file into the root of the mounted harddrive

4. turn off MountainLion and unmount the harddrive created before

5. open the modified Mavericks .vmdk, mount AMD-BootCD and install chamaleon.

Am i right?

Note: extracting Mavericks right now.

Edit1: seems like i can't do what i wrote before because:

jwDs3Dl.jpg

i'm going to download the smallest linux ever and try with that.

What you posted is correct you should make a guide!

Boy this post is being used great!

Thank you @JVene :D

I tried installing Clover Configurator but i failed... I installed Clover and created a config.plist file but i don't know what to do with that  :(

I'm currently trying to update to 10.9.5 (i'm using DeeKay 10.9 v2.1) and see what happens.

wait wait wait UPDATE

I just booted from EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and the issue is gone o_o

I don't know how this is possible, since i did not replace any config.plist file but.. yeah, Mavericks is now finally slow!!

Now i'm scared to update eheh (10.9.0 actually)

This is how Mavericks recognize my VirtualMachine

rbH609W.png

P.S.: Scrolling speed is uber fast now o_o before Clover when i looked for images on google, scrolling was awful.. now scrolling is so smooth i'm actually wondering if its even smoother than on Windows o.o

How to: Mavericks retail on VMWare [AMD System]
Step by step

1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it
2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download above)
3. Run MountainLion, complete the startup wizard and shut down the machine
4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it
5. Using VMWare, add an harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk)
(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again)
6. Run MountainLion, open Terminal and write "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (without quotes) hit Return then alt+RightClick on Finder and "Relaunch"
7. Download this file and extract it
8. On Finder you'll find a new disk called "Macintosh", open it and delete the file "mach_kernel"
9. Rename mckay_kernel (downloaded before) into mach_kernel
10. Copy/Paste into "Macintosh" disk
11. Eject "Macintosh" and shut down your machine
12. From Windows open the vmx file inside your Mavericks directory
13. Run Mavericks
14. Complete the wizard (NOTE: the system will look like 10x faster than normal. that's ok, we're going to fix this)
15. Download Clover Configurator and run it (RightClick -> Open)
16. Go to "Install&Update" tab and click Install (right side)
17. When the installation is completed shut down Mavericks
18. Trought VMWare from the topbar select VM -> Power -> Power on to BIOS
19. Go to Boot Maintenance Manager -> Configure boot options -> Add boot option -> Macintosh
20. Browse to EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and press return (type "Clover" as name)
21. Now select "Change boot order" and press Return
22. Using your key arrows highlight "Clover" and press numPad +
23. When Clover is on top press Return, select "Commit changes and exit" and hit Return again
24. Exit the Boot Maintenance Manager and Continue your boot
25. You should now see Clover bootloader, double click on your only drive and wait.

If everything has been done right you're actually enjoying Mavericks retail on VMWare with your AMD processor!

• Like 1

How to: Mavericks retail on VMWare [AMD System]

Step by step

1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it

2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download above)

4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it

5. Using VMWare, add an harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk)

(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again)

6. Run MountainLion, open Terminal and write "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (without quotes) hit Return then alt+RightClick on Finder and "Relaunch"

7. Download this file and extract it

8. On Finder you'll find a new disk called "Macintosh", open it and delete the file "mach_kernel"

9. Rename mckay_kernel (downloaded before) into mach_kernel

10. Copy/Paste into "Macintosh" disk

11. Eject "Macintosh" and shut down your machine

13. Run Mavericks

14. Complete the wizard (NOTE: the system will look like 10x faster than normal. that's ok, we're going to fix this)

15. Download Clover Configurator and run it (RightClick -> Open)

16. Go to "Install&Update" tab and click Install (right side)

17. When the installation is completed shut down Mavericks

18. Trought VMWare from the topbar select VM -> Power -> Power on to BIOS

19. Go to Boot Maintenance Manager -> Configure boot options -> Add boot option -> Macintosh

20. Browse to EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and press return (type "Clover" as name)

21. Now select "Change boot order" and press Return

22. Using your key arrows highlight "Clover" and press numPad +

23. When Clover is on top press Return, select "Commit changes and exit" and hit Return again

24. Exit the Boot Maintenance Manager and Continue your boot

25. You should now see Clover bootloader, double click on your only drive and wait.

If everything has been done right you're actually enjoying Mavericks retail on VMWare with your AMD processor!

Lucas you should publish this as a guide on this website on it's own thread!

Really? is it that good? wow.. ok...

Let me see if i can make some screenshot (people love screenshots!) and i'll publish it on its own thread :)

Yes it is good just please credit me a little because this wouldn't even be on the web if I didn't make this post you deserve credit because you made sense of my jumbled instructions and added how to install the boot loader.

Just remember to add a note to update

Thank you so much for this thread Hacker Pro, I was finally able to get Mavericks 10.9.4 on VM 10.0 working after a about week of trying a lot of stuff.  :thumbsup_anim:

My system is CPU: AMD FX-6300

Motherboard: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3

GPU: AMD Radeon 7870

I tried the using clover configurator like in the above guide by LucasX64 it didn't work for me but I really appreciate that he made a very specific step by step guide.

This is what I did with my AMD FX-6300:

Taken from LucasX64's guide I did a similar process with a few changes (Red means what I did differently)

Setting up for installation

1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it (Download 10.9.4 Combo Update from Apple website in Windows and keep it in a usb)
2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download)
4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it

5. Using VMWare(in the settings tab), add a harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk,  also make sure you selected SCSI and not SATA and don't convert the hard-drive)

(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again )

7. Download Bronya 10.9.4 rc3 v.1 and these kexts and extract it

9. In the folder mach_10_9_4_rc3/FX there should be mach_kernel
10. Copy/Paste mach_kernel into the root "Macintosh" disk

11. Shut down Mountain Lion

Installing Mavericks

13. Run Mavericks
14. Complete the wizard

Steps from here are different from using clover configurator

15. Open and install the 10.9.4 combo update

16. Let the mac restart after the installation is complete

17. It will continue to install after it has restarted, just wait for it to finish

18. Once that's complete, Mavericks won't boot, so power off in VM

19. Start up Mountain Lion and replace the mach_kernel in the mavericks.vmdk again like we did earlier

20. Download Kext Wizard and open it

21. Go to the Installation tab

22. Drag and drop the kexts from the folder "Replace Mave kext AMD" (when we downloaded the kexts from the above link)

23. Make sure that the Target disk(above the install button) is set to "Macintosh 1"

24. Then press Install, after install is complete shut down Mountain Lion

25. Start up Mavericks 10.9.4 and it should be working now

• Like 1

That's why i waited before opening a new thread :)

Awesome job Noobel1 !

I think we could publish both guide (i guess this would not work for me, since i have a Phenom II and Bronya is reported to have glitches with CPUs older than FX series)

I'm also thinking about making a video-guide for those who prefere to watch instead of reading. (but this will take some time and i still have not decided if i should use my voice or just captions  :lol: )

Update:

Just tried your guide using a Mavericks 10.9.4 Vmware Image i made some days ago and it did not work (bootloop with a restart error).

Probably i did something wrong updating Mavericks 10.9 to 10.9.4 (with my intel notebook) and exporting to my amd pc..

I'll try again with the original Maverick 10.9 VMWare image and this time i'll follow the whole guide.

In the meanwhile we could open a new thread and publish your guide as for FX-series and mine as for Phenom/Athlon cpus.

Done :) You'll find it here.

Also i was wondering if installing VMWare SVGA II driver could improve performance or destroy everything :\ I think i'll make a snapshot and give it a try.

Guys, I need a favor - a test on your AMD based VM. Check to see if the screen saver "Flurry" looks pixelated on your installation (more on why in a moment).

I tried VMWare SVGA 2, but opted for the VMWareGfx.kext in Darwin7.iso. Stretch works, I can even spread OS X across 3 monitors using it. Seems about as snappy as a VM of this nature could be. Speed was about the same between the two.

Now, about Flurry. It's not Flurry that I want to fix, but the hardware simulator in XCode - it's just that it seems Flurry, widely available without installing XCode, has the same display problem (and tech approach) as the simulators. If your Flurry is showing a pixelated appearance, then we're all likely in the same situation. If, however, your Flurry looks correct, I REALLY need to understand why.

I have 10.8.4 with XCode 5.0.2 and 5.1.1 - both Flurry and the iOS simulators work there (and have worked as far back as 10.6.8 with Xcode 3.2.x).

10.9.x, however, isn't playing nice with it.

Congratulations on a great looking "as it happened" discussion, and successful installation!

Thank you so much for this thread Hacker Pro, I was finally able to get Mavericks 10.9.4 on VM 10.0 working after a about week of trying a lot of stuff.  :thumbsup_anim:

My system is CPU: AMD FX-6300

Motherboard: ASRock 980DE3/U3S3

GPU: AMD Radeon 7870

I tried the using clover configurator like in the above guide by LucasX64 it didn't work for me but I really appreciate that he made a very specific step by step guide.

This is what I did with my AMD FX-6300:

Taken from LucasX64's guide I did a similar process with a few changes (Red means what I did differently)

Setting up for installation

1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it (Download 10.9.4 Combo Update from Apple website in Windows and keep it in a usb)

2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download)

4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it

5. Using VMWare(in the settings tab), add a harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk,  also make sure you selected SCSI and not SATA and don't convert the hard-drive)

(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again )

7. Download Bronya 10.9.4 rc3 v.1 and these kexts and extract it

9. In the folder mach_10_9_4_rc3/FX there should be mach_kernel

10. Copy/Paste mach_kernel into the root "Macintosh" disk

11. Shut down Mountain Lion

Installing Mavericks

13. Run Mavericks

14. Complete the wizard

Steps from here are different from using clover configurator

15. Open and install the 10.9.4 combo update

16. Let the mac restart after the installation is complete

17. It will continue to install after it has restarted, just wait for it to finish

18. Once that's complete, Mavericks won't boot, so power off in VM

19. Start up Mountain Lion and replace the mach_kernel in the mavericks.vmdk again like we did earlier

20. Download Kext Wizard and open it

21. Go to the Installation tab

22. Drag and drop the kexts from the folder "Replace Mave kext AMD" (when we downloaded the kexts from the above link)

23. Make sure that the Target disk(above the install button) is set to "Macintosh 1"

24. Then press Install, after install is complete shut down Mountain Lion

25. Start up Mavericks 10.9.4 and it should be working now

Done :) You'll find it here.

Also i was wondering if installing VMWare SVGA II driver could improve performance or destroy everything :\ I think i'll make a snapshot and give it a try.

Check out the guide lucas put up we should move any further discussion there.

Guys, I need a favor - a test on your AMD based VM. Check to see if the screen saver "Flurry" looks pixelated on your installation (more on why in a moment).

I tried VMWare SVGA 2, but opted for the VMWareGfx.kext in Darwin7.iso. Stretch works, I can even spread OS X across 3 monitors using it. Seems about as snappy as a VM of this nature could be. Speed was about the same between the two.

Now, about Flurry. It's not Flurry that I want to fix, but the hardware simulator in XCode - it's just that it seems Flurry, widely available without installing XCode, has the same display problem (and tech approach) as the simulators. If your Flurry is showing a pixelated appearance, then we're all likely in the same situation. If, however, your Flurry looks correct, I REALLY need to understand why.

I have 10.8.4 with XCode 5.0.2 and 5.1.1 - both Flurry and the iOS simulators work there (and have worked as far back as 10.6.8 with Xcode 3.2.x).

10.9.x, however, isn't playing nice with it.

Congratulations on a great looking "as it happened" discussion, and successful installation!

I can confirm that my Flurry is pixellated...

Plus, i just discovered that exporting images from Sketch (a software similar to Adobe Illustrator) result in awful images with distorted colors (kinda negative-effect)

Surely we gonna investigate more.

I've already installed VMware SVGA II Driver but it did not fixed the problem.

Yes thanks lucas.

If you hadn't posted your guide they would have to read my wierd writing

Could an admin close this and us guys reply at lucas' thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301284-how-to-mavericks-retail-on-vmware-amd-system/

Cmon guys :) we were all essential to each other in this adventure.

Many thanks to you. Thanks to HackerPro who bright my mind, thanks to JVene to letting me know Clover and thanks to Noobel1 who tested my guide and wrote a new version of it :)

Hoping to solve all the issues we're encountering and be ready for Yosemite :D

• Like 2

Yes I think this thread has run it's life mind if I get an admin to close it guys?

P.S. Lucas I changed the anwser on this thread to your guide post on here.

• Like 1

Well I love insanelmac.com it brings a lot of talanted people together.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey if your woundering how to do this please go here .

Gave up trying to get his working on an AMD 3000+ system and Vmare Workstation 10. Could not get past step 3. The Vmware refuses to start even after doing the Unlocker. Even tried the Hardware patch and that did nothing. Having SoulDevTeam domain being down its very difficult finding detailed instructions.

post-1425905-0-61536200-1414822574_thumb.gif