Install OS X 10.9 in VirtualBox, AMD Athlon 64 on Host

61 posts in this topic

As it says how do I Install?

I have 6GB of Ram, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2.40 GHZ CPU speed.

Thank you for your help. :)

Did try Virtualbox , did not like it,  i am used to Vmware Fusion 5 & 6.

Absolutely, no problem to install OSX 10.9.4 on Windows 8.1 Vmware Workstion 10.  

Try download a trial version (cost 250.00) you will like it.

Need the followings:

- Maverick 10.9.4 iso  (use 12 steps to create an ISO from  Mavericks Installer App, google 12 steps mavericks)

- Vmware Workstation 10

- Vmware Unlocker  (google it to get download loc)

- After getting the VM the run, from VM download SVGA II for 10.9 for vmware and install)

Steps

1. Install Vmware WS10

2. install unlocker  (that give Apple OSX machine type definition for create a new VM)

(inside the unlocked folder, darwin.iso is the tools needed to be installed for 1920x1080 or custom resolutions)

3. create a VM for Mavericks, use default options will do.  (40G hd size is good,  2G men is OK)

4.  Before  start Vm,  go settings,  dvd setting change to iso and select Mavericks.iso and Boot

(no loader needed, install and reboot  all ok)

5.  shutdown and go settings, change dvd setting to iso and select darwin.iso and Boot VM.

6.  Dvd will appear on desktop, install vmtools  from it.  (will get you full screen)

7.  your default LAN setting is NAT, no need for  LAN settings,   use safari to download   SVGAII package for vmware and install it.

(this will give you QE,  i.e. video playable with vlc or QT)

8.  Install any other APPs as you like,  apple store will work.

Note: you can even convert the vm back to a real HACKINTOSH?   what to know how?

i did test on the following  VM,    yosemite 10.10,    ubuntu,  linuxmint, windows 7.

i did test copying VM to Mavericks and run it on Fusion 6.  (ALL ok)

Assume you already has a vm running correctly. (if your pc is not vt-x compatible, it will be slow)

ws10, has an function to clone a VM.

The reason you need to make a clone, is because Disk utility will not create a DMG from active partition.

It needs to dismount it to create a dmg.

- Step1 WS10  make a clone from your running VM, call it master and clone.

- step 2:  after cloning, you will have two VM on the list,

goto got master VM's Setting,  add device,  add a hard drive,

use option for existing VM hard drive, select the clone's VM

(the first file with vmdk extension)

-  step3:  reboot master ,  will see two hard drives on disk utility side bar.

before create a DMG from the clone, (you may want to delete VM?? kext and SVGAII kexts from SLE of the clone)

create a DMG  of the CLONE with Disk Utility.

-  step4:  this  DMG  will be your standard install media for yourself (because your user acct is in it)

2 options to use this DMG.

A.  copy the DMG over SMB shared network to another Hackintosh and use it to restore the DMG to any hard drive to be install on a target machine.

B.  if you do'nt have another hackintosh,  use a fast and large usb-stick or USB caddy with internal HD mount on it

attach  the  USB device to the WIN-PC,  message box, tells you it is not automatically connected,

goto  WS10  menu, VM, Connect remote device, your USB drive will appears on the list,  select to connect.

once connected, it works like you are on a real mac,  restore your DMG to to flash drive (preferred) or usb caddy HD.

(note it take 7 minutes to restore  new OS's DMG to a hard drive on a real hackintosh, it took 40 minutes on a vm, but it do work.)

C.  before detach the new hard drive,  install loader on it (a loader that you know will work on that target machine)

edit plist, add or remove other kexts as required for the target machine, then detach it and install it on the target machine.

D.  first boot:  to single user mode to fix permissions and ownership of added kexts.

i always take a easy way,  goto SLE  chmod -R 755 *,  chown -R root:wheel *,  sync, reboot and use disk utility to repair permissions again.

(you may want to do it for each kext)

the above steps, has tested to create yosemite PB1 hackintosh to run on Gateway notebook and GA-EP43 with intel q8400 cpu.

Additional Steps for AMD machine,

Before detach USB cloned hard drive,

unhide mach_kernel on root,  delete it or rename it,

copy a series of testing kernels (difference versions are available for Older and newer AMD cpu)

(not all are bootable or stable)

call this test kernels r1_kernel, r2_kernel etc (and remember the names)

Because mach_kernal is missing, chameleon will stay on boot prompt (will not go anywhere, until you enter a  kernal name)

/r1_kernel  for example will boot with r1_kernel.

if hang and reboot,   then test then next 1, /r2_kernel   etc. etc.

For AMD machine, it is a trial and error method.

This is the kernel i used on my AMD

Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: FSB Detection: calculated Mult 17, cpuFreq 3450111333 
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: rtclock_init: Phenom MSR 0xc0010071 
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: cpufamily: 0x78ea4fbc:
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: BUS: Frequency =    202.947725MHz, cvtt2n = 00000004.ED68982E, cvtn2t = 00000000.33F461D1, cvtInt = 004B2F91.3C14D31A
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: TSC: Frequency =   3450.111327MHz, cvtt2n = 00000000.4A33543E, cvtn2t = 00000003.733A7EF7, gran = 17
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: пятница, 30 мая 2014 г. 02:06:47 (MSK); Bronya:xnu-2422.90.20_amd/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: vm_page_bootstrap: 1522456 free pages and 42216 wired pages
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: kext submap [0xffffff7f8079a000 - 0xffffff8000000000], kernel text [0xffffff8000200000 - 0xffffff800079a000]
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: zone leak detection enabled
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: "vm_compressor_mode" is 4
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: standard background quantum is 2500 us
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: mig_table_max_displ = 74
Aug 15 20:59:37 localhost kernel[0]: CPU identification: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor

Chameleon installer log - Sat Jul 19 20:34:08 MDT 2014
Installer version: 2.2svn 2391
======================================================
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS AMD1094                 256.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data ExFat-OSX               243.8 GB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:               Windows_NTFS System Reserved         367.0 MB   disk1s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS AMDWIN81                499.7 GB   disk1s2

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000, -v</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks for the info.

I installed Niresh fine but when it during boot time after a while I get the "System Up time xxxxxxxxxxx Nanoseconds" :( Using VirtualBox 4.3.12, I can't use Worstation because VMWare doesn't support my AMD-V implementation. :(

EDIT: I have a new pc with a amd cpu with supported AMD-V :)

Edited by Hacker Pro

sorry to hear, amd-v is not supported,  i have fusion  5 working ok on and 10.6,  on 10.9.4. fusion 6 error out on any vm, i have previously installed on fusion 5. (same issue)

before you waste any more time on this,  what is your AMD socket type,   AM2+ and AM3 likely be ok to try.

AM2 likely use nvidia chipset, it work fine on 10.6  (all kext are available, legacy kernel are stabe), this may be a better option for you.

10.6 support 32/64 kexts,  10.8-10.9 need x64 kexts.

Search and find that, you do have all x64 kexts for your motherboard first, before continue from here.

My old AMD (no longer have it),  was

M2N-SLI

Sata has no option for ACHI (was set in IDE mode)

Lan (nv) no kext,  got DLink Glan with SKGE.kext to work,

Audio no kext, use   USB output to a DAC box connect it to my AVR

Graphic card to use for 10.6  was 7600GS (50.00 at the time,  now for some reason cost more)

also tested are 8600GT,  8600GTS. 

assume you have the similar hardware

Additional Cost for you,  graphic, LAN, USB Audio.

a new MB, for AMD within AM2+ will likely, work with you CPU, which has realtek audio, and Lan (may be a better option).

I got it to work I found a VMWare image, set it up with virtualbox, copied amd kernel to virtual hd (Through Snow Leopard VM), and then booted it with the attached boot cd you can also find it in Downloads, Bootloader "10.9 Boot CD AMD" (You'll need to extract it first). :thumbsup_anim: I'll give more info soon.

10.9 BootCd for AMD.zip

• Like 2

If this works for you let me know!

I got it to work I found a VMWare image, set it up with virtualbox, copied amd kernel to virtual hd (Through Snow Leopard VM), and then booted it with the attached boot cd you can also find it in Downloads, Bootloader "10.9 Boot CD AMD" (You'll need to extract it first). :thumbsup_anim: I'll give more info soon.

where did you find the vmware image for 10.9 mavericks. is it for amd ?

link please

also how to change the kernel using mountain lion

.you mentioned you have used another mac virtual drive to do it . how to do it. help please i am new to this

I sent you a message on how to do it.

Didn't try audio yet; got a core 2 solo/duo/quad (I had a core 2 quad laying around) so I'm focused on that right now.  what do you mean by "get OSX to work properly?"?

On my VB VM machine the Audio is recognized as:

Vendor:Device/8384:7680
SigmaTel STAC9221 HD Audio Codec

But I haven't seen any Kext for this... So if someone else using VB is getting audio to work, I'd like to know how.
Also, it's not clear to me how VB is presenting the Audio card to the VM. My "real" audio card is ALC668 (662 compatible?).
But unless VB is also able to patch the signals through without changing stuff, I guess there's little hope I can use that. Or what?

VBox dosn't pass the audio card to the VM, It emulates a card.  The audio is Intel HD Audio by default.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! can you send me the same message you sent to dreamkiller18?  ^_^

I'm on the same situation. Would love to boot Mavericks Retail in VMWare (i'm AMD too)

Thanks!

I'm on the same situation. Would love to boot Mavericks Retail in VMWare (i'm AMD too)

Thanks!

Thank

I'm going to post the message so anyone can see it.

I'm going to post the message so anyone can see it.

Here it is.

Google mavericks vmware image torrent (you will need torrent downloader I use transmission) download the image no it is not for amd but heres how you set it up with amd first get ubuntu, damn small linux or any other live os or use an existing vm,

Mount the vmdk in the vm (tell me what virtualization platform your using if your using virtualbox you need to mount it on a scsi controller, boot cd on sata or it will not work),

Mount the iso in the vm or use your existing vm,

doswnload the kernel from www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/255-amd-kernel-for-mavericks-109109110921093/,

copy "mach_kernel" to the mavericks image using the os you downloaded/already had set up,

turn the vm off, then unmout the iso/other os's hd, then restart with this http://www.hackintos...109-amd-bootcd/ mounted install chameleon or the bootloader and voila.

Thanks @Hacker Pro !!

Correct me if i'm wrong. Assuming i have MountainLion as a working VMWare Image, my steps will be:

1. add an harddrive to MountainLion choosing Mavericks .vmdk downloaded from google

2. download the kernel compatible with AMD CPU

3. copy that file into the root of the mounted harddrive

4. turn off MountainLion and unmount the harddrive created before

5. open the modified Mavericks .vmdk, mount AMD-BootCD and install chamaleon.

Am i right?

Note: extracting Mavericks right now.

Edit1: seems like i can't do what i wrote before because:

jwDs3Dl.jpg

i'm going to download the smallest linux ever and try with that.

Damn... "The destination is read-only"

What now?

Steps done:

1. created new virtual machine

2. first hdd -> 8GB (SCSI)

3. second hdd -> Mavericks .vmdk (SCSI)

4. CDROM -> ElementaryOS.ISO (SATA)

5. installed ElementaryOS on the first hdd

6. boot. try to copy mach_kernel into the root of Mavericks -> "The destination is read-only"

(tried different way to mount trough terminal but nothing worked)

Edit1: just discovered i can't mount a HFS+ partition in read-write mode... It seems i have to disable "Journaling" to be able to mount and write.

Edit2: I upgraded my MountainLion VM from Workstation8 to Workstation10 and I successfully mounted a new harddrive with Mavericks .vmdk

Showed hidden files, deleted old kernel, placed new kernel.

Started Mavericks VM and it booted!!

Now i have 2 questions:

1. do i really need to install chamaleon? (when i started Mavericks it didn't boot from the CDDrive but from the HDD directly)

2. when i right-click i have to keep the right-click pressed to see the drop-down menu. How can i fix this? (also the vertical line that blink when you're about to write something, here is extremly fast! and icons from the dock jump extremely fast too!)

- just notice every system animation is damnly fast! even the progress bar during a download in safari! ehk.... -

- ok, it seems i can't double click  -

Thanks @Hacker Pro !!

Correct me if i'm wrong. Assuming i have MountainLion as a working VMWare Image, my steps will be:

1. add an harddrive to MountainLion choosing Mavericks .vmdk downloaded from google

2. download the kernel compatible with AMD CPU

3. copy that file into the root of the mounted harddrive

4. turn off MountainLion and unmount the harddrive created before

5. open the modified Mavericks .vmdk, mount AMD-BootCD and install chamaleon.

Am i right?

Note: extracting Mavericks right now.

Edit1: seems like i can't do what i wrote before because:

jwDs3Dl.jpg

i'm going to download the smallest linux ever and try with that.

It appears from that screenshot you're using Workstation 8.

There has been limited success using Workstation 9, but in reality you need to use Workstation 10 for the recent OS X versions (10.9 and 10.10).

It appears from that screenshot you're using Workstation 8.

There has been limited success using Workstation 9, but in reality you need to use Workstation 10 for the recent OS X versions (10.9 and 10.10).

As wrote on "Edit2" it was just MountainLion based on Workstation8, i upgraded using the "Upgrad this machine" and that error has gone. (i'm using Workstation10)

Update: i did not fix the incredibly fast system issue, yet. Still trying to find a solution... It's really not usable (even keys input is accelerated and it make writing incredibly difficult since every key pressed is recognized 3 or 4 times)

When i'm about to shut down, the countdown (your sistem will be shut down in...) goes like 59.58.57.56 instead of 59...58....57.... It's about 2 or 3 times faster than normal.

Funny......

As wrote on "Edit2" it was just MountainLion based on Workstation8, i upgraded using the "Upgrad this machine" and that error has gone. (i'm using Workstation10)

Update: i did not fix the incredibly fast system issue, yet. Still trying to find a solution... It's really not usable (even keys input is accelerated and it make writing incredibly difficult since every key pressed is recognized 3 or 4 times)

When i'm about to shut down, the countdown (your sistem will be shut down in...) goes like 59.58.57.56 instead of 59...58....57.... It's about 2 or 3 times faster than normal.

I had the speed problem too.

There are two possible solutions.

Change the kernel. There is a 10.9.0 kernel (I think it's DeeKay) which does that, but another that's 10.9.4 (found on this site) cures it.

Later I discovered that using Clover as a boot loader cures the problem even on the kernel that does it.

....if you need to use the kernel that's "fast" for a short while, try getting to the setup of the keyboard and turn the speed of the repeat setting to "none"....or all the way to the left.