Multiple apps failing to launch

Phr4c7ur3

16 posts in this topic

I have a vanilla install of Mavericks with just IONetworkingFamily edited to enable my Yukon ethernet, I've found several applications fail to launch, the most irritating of these (for me) are MaciASL and IORegistryExplorer.  Both start to launch (icon appears in dock) and then become unresponsive, the only option is to Force Quit.

Is there a log somewhere I can view to try and determine what's stopping them from launching?

Thank you

I have a vanilla install of Mavericks with just IONetworkingFamily edited to enable my Yukon ethernet, I've found several applications fail to launch, the most irritating of these (for me) are MaciASL and IORegistryExplorer.  Both start to launch (icon appears in dock) and then become unresponsive, the only option is to Force Quit.

Is there a log somewhere I can view to try and determine what's stopping them from launching?

Thank you

The last time I saw this, the person had saved an SSDT in /Extra (eg. /Extra/ssdt.aml) as text.

@RehabMac, Thanks for your reply. The only thing I have in my /Extra folder is SMBios.plist?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-11 at 23.23.21.png

Perhaps it boils down to a power management/boot loader config issue then...

I'm surprised your computer works at all with such a vanilla config (unless you're actually using Clover)

@RehabMan,

I installed as per this guide up to Part 4 - Initial Boot, at which point I jumped off to sort out my Ethernet and Sound Problems with a view to getting back into the guide at a later stage.

@RehabMan,

I installed as per this guide up to Part 4 - Initial Boot, at which point I jumped off to sort out my Ethernet and Sound Problems with a view to getting back into the guide at a later stage.

If it was me, I'd focus on getting power management implemented before worrying about Ethernet and audio.

This is my reasoning:

- it is a 'computer'

- the part of the computer that does 'computing' is the 'CPU'

- therefore, the most important part to have working is the 'CPU'

- in the case of modern operating systems, this means power management/aka speedstep/etc

- and doing so involves many items critical to OS X... smbios/SSDT/patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/etc

Obviously, you also want to be booting from your HDD as soon as possible... (it is a pre-req to correcting power management)

Second to that is graphics...

And everything after that is gravy (audio, wifi, ethernet, bluetooth, etc)

But you can do it your own way, I suppose...

@RehabMan,

That all makes perfect sense, and of course you're quite right.

Speedstep was on my list and I'm just dipping my toes into DSDT (same as SSDT?) for the first time right now.

I'll do some searching on here to find info on power management. Thank you

Just to clarify: I am booting from my HDD via chameleon boot loader, is this what you meant when you said "...booting from your HDD as soon as possible."?

Go to Launchpad or the Dock, and click on System Preferences, then click on Mission Control and uncheck the 'Show Dashboard as a space' checkbox.

Then, when you go to Launchpad, click on the Dashboard icon or run the Dashboard app and add a widget, either via the LHS "+" button and clicking on a widget icon in the bottom widgets bar, or by 'dragging and dropping' a widget, you should see a "real-time" water-ripple effect as the new widget is "dropped" into the Dashboard.......

For other Mavericks issues see here.....it may help.

Hi Verdant, thanks for checking in on this thread.

I do indeed have a ripple effect when I follow your instructions. So does that mean that I have QE/CI working?

I was in the chatroom last night and folks in there thought that perhaps my issues were caused by a bad mavericks image during install...it was an AppStore download.

Whatever the cause, I do tend to agree with RehabMan that power management should be a higher priority than sound, at least.

Yes that means you have have QE/CI working.

Excluding the nForce specific kexts, and using only the kexts you need, you could, if you wish, re-install following my Mavericks install guide as then I can help you more if you wish....... ;)

@Verdant

I'm going to follow your guide tomorrow. It's much MUCH more complicated than the guide I followed first time around (for Mavericks) but it looks very well explained. Apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

It initially appears very complicated because there is no easy way to get OSX running on an nVidia chipset since it is not natively supported in Mac OS X, and to avoid repeating myself when trying to cover all possibilities for different users (rather than tailoring it to only 1 option for installation which would leave a lot of people out as it would not apply to them) the guide points to different sections and/or the same sections at different points etc.

Thus, not everything applies to everyone.  You first have to READ the introduction to the guide to see what part applies to you, and then it TELLS you where to go next. The key is to follow the guide step by step once you have decided on which install approach you want to follow - I recommend USB installer and GPT HDD install approach unless you have a specific requirement to use a MBR HDD.

The guide should work for your Intel CPU MOBO as it is essentially the need for the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext and the nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext in /System/Library/ Extensions/, as well not being able to use a SleepEnabler.kext and having issues with sleep that distinguishes nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs from non-nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs rather than the basic procedures for installing OS X.........

Furthermore, each reader's MOBO brand/model typically has to have its own custom setup for DSDT/audio/networking/video etc.

Do not worry about asking questions; there are seldom stupid questions unless they are not specific enough to be answered.......