The Selected Boot Device Failed

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have an HP envy dv7 laptop and surprisingly its hackintoshable. Who knew. Intel i7 core, with Intel 4000 Graphics card and a Nvidia 6000 gt650 graphics card, beats audio, hp motherboard with a UEFI BIOS, a intel wireless card (the only piece that's incompatable) and it comes preloaded with Windows 8 pro, updatable to 8.1. Came loaded with GUID partition scheme which was nice.

So then I installed ubuntu linux, and made a partition for Mac.

Next I found that Niresh would be easiest so I formatted a 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide to NTFS from ubuntu terminal. Next I loaded the Niresh.iso to the flashdrive again from ubuntu terminal using the dd command.

Next I unmount the flash drive and enter my UEFI BIOS and optimize everything, and disable secure boot and legacy mode. One thing I was unsure about was intel virtualization technology (hardware virtualization) so I left that on. Then I set USB to boot first. I take out all my other USB drives and restarted. It went directly to Windows 8, which is what my active partition is even though I use ubuntu 99.9% of the time.

That's weird I thought. I held shift and restarted my HP ENVY DV7 to go to the windows 8.1 advanced tools section. Then I selected to boot from the flash drive. It loads for a few seconds then the screen turns off then on with pale light. Then a blue box comes up that says "The selected boot device failed press enter to continue"

Then I unmount and try again. This time it does the same thing.

Is it because of

1. Hardware Virtualization

2. Have 4 other OS installed (windows, recovery, hp tools, Ubuntu Linux)

3. NFTS as opposed to FAT32 or EXT4.

4. Install fail.

Thank you!!!

I do not understand, why you are using niresh, there are lot of smart people here, create USB installation methods and guides.

Just follow one of the method/

I did use Niresh Hybrid DVD to install 10.5 on my gateway laptop, all ok and smooth.

the reason to use Niresh is, my laptop will not boot guid partitioned usb. (so is most other laptop at time)

What turns me off on Niresh,

First boot, on login screen, see Niresh name!

spend 1 hour to local the image, and try to remove it, failed.

found Niresh put it's name inside apple's login app's resource folder and inside a string,

take 1 minutes to remove it.

i get ride of niresh installation as soon as i can.

now both chameleon and clover loaders can be used to make a usb, guid install drive to boot.

Absolutely, no reasaon to go with niresh.

i am an old retired programmer,  my principle is:  do'nt change native software if you don't need to.

if one change apple login app,  how can i be sure all my rc scripts were not changed to be executed in future date.

I am NOT saying this is the case, but i need to spend hours on it to be sure!

There, may be two problems you will face.

1.  If your WIN8.1 is installed in UEFI mode,  you must be in UEFI mode or Mixed Mode.

if this is the case, USE UEFI boot loader for OSX, and set secure boot OFF and CSM (legacy mode to always)

if your linux and windows were installed in Legacy mode,  OSX loader should be installed in Legacy mode with Clover.

Chameleon is  in legacy mode.

2.  Dual Graphics chips - need to use one or the other.

come across a member's post with HP laptop.

from member  xxshabsxx
I've been having problems with installing Mavericks on my laptop (HP Envy 15-q004tx)

I got it working!!!

What I did;

1. So I patched the kernel to work with haswell CPU's
2. Used new chimera instead of the older one I was using
3. Patched Installer to work with MBR disks instead of GUID as my windows + other OS is on MBR
4. Booted with dart=0 (thanks artur!!), nv_disable=1 and the ofc -v
5. Then installed correctly, and copied the kernel from install USB to HDD

Now I just need to get sound, battery, network etc..etc.. working