3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have the following setup:

• GA-X79-UD3
  • Intel i7 4930k
  • 32GB
  • Nvidia GT610
  • OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe 256GB SSD for boot
  • Fusion drive with Crucial MX100 and mirrored Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 for data
  • Mavericks 10.9.4

Installed with MyHack and the rampagedev Gigabyte X79 package (thank you guys! :thumbsup_anim: ). From this I learned that booting the USB stick from USB 3 is not a good idea  :(

This setup is mostly stable. Most issues arise from Mavericks itself (I come from Mountain Lion and probably should have sticked to it), and not from the hardware. Unless I try to overclock, which I probably should save up for later.

I have also plugged in a Voyager S2 drive dock with a backup disk with an eSATA cable. I first had to enable the eSATA in the BIOS, and then I could mount the disk and clone my boot drive. I can select the disk as a Startup disk from Preferences, but then when I boot, the disk does not show in Chameleon, only my original boot drive shows. It's probably something trivial, but since this is my first hackintosh, I have no clue where to look. Does anyone have suggestions how I can make the eSATA drive bootable from chameleon? Thanks.

Tom

Hi,

I have the following setup:

• GA-X79-UD3
  • Intel i7 4930k
  • 32GB
  • Nvidia GT610
  • OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe 256GB SSD for boot
  • Fusion drive with Crucial MX100 and mirrored Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 for data
  • Mavericks 10.9.4

Installed with MyHack and the rampagedev Gigabyte X79 package (thank you guys! :thumbsup_anim: ). From this I learned that booting the USB stick from USB 3 is not a good idea  :(

This setup is mostly stable. Most issues arise from Mavericks itself (I come from Mountain Lion and probably should have sticked to it), and not from the hardware. Unless I try to overclock, which I probably should save up for later.

I have also plugged in a Voyager S2 drive dock with a backup disk with an eSATA cable. I first had to enable the eSATA in the BIOS, and then I could mount the disk and clone my boot drive. I can select the disk as a Startup disk from Preferences, but then when I boot, the disk does not show in Chameleon, only my original boot drive shows. It's probably something trivial, but since this is my first hackintosh, I have no clue where to look. Does anyone have suggestions how I can make the eSATA drive bootable from chameleon? Thanks.

Tom

Easiest for booting is to connect the USB 2 cable that came with the unit to usb2 port that should work for certain, don't know if OS X even supports booting from e-sata as it has never had it as a supported connector type unlike firewire which does work for that. Not much help for the e-sata idea really but only other thing I can think of is you do not mention installing Chameleon on the external drive give that a try. Now in theory the e-sata should be bootable if like my board the drive shows up in the f12 boot menu selector like the one drive did when I tested the e-sata to see if it was a port multiplier aware connector like I needed for my 4 bay enclosure unfortunately it was not so had to stick with my pci-e card for that idea.

Easiest for booting is to connect the USB 2 cable that came with the unit to usb2 port that should work for certain, don't know if OS X even supports booting from e-sata as it has never had it as a supported connector type unlike firewire which does work for that. Not much help for the e-sata idea really but only other thing I can think of is you do not mention installing Chameleon on the external drive give that a try. Now in theory the e-sata should be bootable if like my board the drive shows up in the f12 boot menu selector like the one drive did when I tested the e-sata to see if it was a port multiplier aware connector like I needed for my 4 bay enclosure unfortunately it was not so had to stick with my pci-e card for that idea.

The Mercury card has eSATA connectors which worked fine in my old Mac Pro and they were fine to boot from, so that should normally not be the issue. But the USB cable is a good suggestion if it's just for booting in emergency situations. And I could certainly try putting Chameleon on the external drive, had not done that yet. Thanks for the tips!