• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Aergan

Aergan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

1.0.1 has now resolved any issues I was having with my connection dropping, many thanks.

MadMax3947

MadMax3947

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@MadMax3947: Frankly, I don't think that there is a driver bug but something outside of the driver seems to shut down the NIC which causes the driver to hang because read operations return 0xffffffff when the PCIe device is no longer accessible as in the log message below.

Mar 24 23:08:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset. ISR=0xffffffff, IMR=0xffffffff.

The reason why I am so sure is that you are using the same NIC as I do for development and I never had an issue since release of version 1.0.0d7 (7 month).

Please take a look at the BIOS settings and make sure that network boot and the UEFI network stack is disabled. You'll have to find out what is disabling the NIC in order to prevent the issue.

Mieze

Any ideas where to look for whatever might be disabling the NIC? I have confirmed that network boot and the UEFI network stack are disabled. Also, I have no problems with the NIC with Windows, so I'm thinking this may be a software rather than BIOS issue (maybe something besides your driver is trying to access the NIC).

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Cats

Any ideas where to look for whatever might be disabling the NIC? I have confirmed that network boot and the UEFI network stack are disabled. Also, I have no problems with the NIC with Windows, so I'm thinking this may be a software rather than BIOS issue (maybe something besides your driver is trying to access the NIC).

The Windows driver developer had one advantage: full access to all information regarding the chips, which is something I don't have. By the way, are you using a beta BIOS? Gigabyte seems to do strange things with the NICs in their BIOSes and I recently had a guy who experienced such a problem with a Realtek NIC on a Gigabyte board. Downgrading solved the issue. See for yourself: http://www.insanelym...8111/?p=2123485

Mieze

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 681 posts

Here is version 2.0.0d1 of the driver which uses Apple's private driver interface and supports packet scheduling with QFQ preventing loss of network connectivity due to congestion which seems to be a common problem on Yosemite. I'm using this driver on my server for several days now and can confirm that it is working as expected.

Mieze

Attached Files

Aergan

Aergan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Two options that cause issues with the Windows driver for the E2201 are ARP offload and NS offload but incorrectly are attributed to IPv6 or software managed QOS/Bandwidth limits.

intruder16

intruder16

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Vielen Dank!

Learning german for about 4 months now.  :angel:

MadMax3947

MadMax3947

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Finally solved my connection dropping issue. In the BIOS, "Ipv4 PXE Support" and "Ipv6 PXE Support" need to be set to Disabled, even if "Network stack" is disabled. The PXE Support options are hidden unless you temporarily enable Network stack (but Network stack needs to be disabled as well).

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 681 posts

I just pushed version 2.0.0, which is identical to 2.0.0d1, to GitHub and updated the binary in the download section of this site a few minutes ago.

Have fun!  :cat:

Mieze

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy