• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Aergan

Aergan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

1.0.1 has now resolved any issues I was having with my connection dropping, many thanks.

MadMax3947

MadMax3947

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@MadMax3947: Frankly, I don't think that there is a driver bug but something outside of the driver seems to shut down the NIC which causes the driver to hang because read operations return 0xffffffff when the PCIe device is no longer accessible as in the log message below.

Mar 24 23:08:21 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset. ISR=0xffffffff, IMR=0xffffffff.

The reason why I am so sure is that you are using the same NIC as I do for development and I never had an issue since release of version 1.0.0d7 (7 month).

Please take a look at the BIOS settings and make sure that network boot and the UEFI network stack is disabled. You'll have to find out what is disabling the NIC in order to prevent the issue.

Mieze

Any ideas where to look for whatever might be disabling the NIC? I have confirmed that network boot and the UEFI network stack are disabled. Also, I have no problems with the NIC with Windows, so I'm thinking this may be a software rather than BIOS issue (maybe something besides your driver is trying to access the NIC).

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Cats

Any ideas where to look for whatever might be disabling the NIC? I have confirmed that network boot and the UEFI network stack are disabled. Also, I have no problems with the NIC with Windows, so I'm thinking this may be a software rather than BIOS issue (maybe something besides your driver is trying to access the NIC).

The Windows driver developer had one advantage: full access to all information regarding the chips, which is something I don't have. By the way, are you using a beta BIOS? Gigabyte seems to do strange things with the NICs in their BIOSes and I recently had a guy who experienced such a problem with a Realtek NIC on a Gigabyte board. Downgrading solved the issue. See for yourself: http://www.insanelym...8111/?p=2123485

Mieze

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

Here is version 2.0.0d1 of the driver which uses Apple's private driver interface and supports packet scheduling with QFQ preventing loss of network connectivity due to congestion which seems to be a common problem on Yosemite. I'm using this driver on my server for several days now and can confirm that it is working as expected.

Mieze

Attached Files

Aergan

Aergan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Two options that cause issues with the Windows driver for the E2201 are ARP offload and NS offload but incorrectly are attributed to IPv6 or software managed QOS/Bandwidth limits.

intruder16

intruder16

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Vielen Dank!

Learning german for about 4 months now.  :angel:

MadMax3947

MadMax3947

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Finally solved my connection dropping issue. In the BIOS, "Ipv4 PXE Support" and "Ipv6 PXE Support" need to be set to Disabled, even if "Network stack" is disabled. The PXE Support options are hidden unless you temporarily enable Network stack (but Network stack needs to be disabled as well).

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

I just pushed version 2.0.0, which is identical to 2.0.0d1, to GitHub and updated the binary in the download section of this site a few minutes ago.

Have fun!  :cat:

Mieze

samtt

samtt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you Mieze,

I try this driver and it works with my GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (Atheros E2201), OS: 10.10.3. There is only one question regarding the Wake on LAN function. I turn on the WoL support from BIOS, enable the Wake for network access in "Energy Saver" tag, send the magic packet from another server in the same LAN. But the system didn't wake up.

Attached is the wireshark snapshot that shows the magic packet arrived when system is up. 

Would you please give me a hint that where should I check to debug the WoL function?

Attached Files

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

Would you please give me a hint that where should I check to debug the WoL function?

Bios settings or DSDT.

Mieze

samtt

samtt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

this seems too difficult to me to edit the DSDT. Is there any good example to show the modification or patch of the WoL support?

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

this seems too difficult to me to edit the DSDT. Is there any good example to show the modification or patch of the WoL support?

Start with the BIOS settings and check them again as this is the solution in most cases. Sometimes the solution is not as obvious as expected and hard to find. That's why you should dig deeper.

Mieze

samtt

samtt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Mieze,

Eventually I got the system wake up! The ErP should be set to Disable.

Thanks for your hint!

tornado99

tornado99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Start with the BIOS settings and check them again as this is the solution in most cases. Sometimes the solution is not as obvious as expected and hard to find. That's why you should dig deeper.

Mieze

Hi Mieze,

The firmware for QCA988x which is used by Killer N1525 Wireless has now been added to ath10k, and people are having success using it in Linux:

https://github.com/s...ath10k-firmware

https://bugs.launchp...ux/ bug/1383184

Would it be possible for you to port Killer N1525 support to OS-X?

many thanks

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

Would it be possible for you to port Killer N1525 support to OS-X?

No, because Apple doesn't publish the frameworks for wireless drivers. You will have a hard time trying to write an OS X driver for a wifi device. Besides that, I'm not interested in wireless networking and try to avoid it whenever possible.

Mieze

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Hello Mieze. I sent you a PM related with this thread.

Awaiting reply.

Thanx!

coolspot18

coolspot18

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

Ever since I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.4, I've been getting strange errors with my E2200 card:

7/2/15 1:53:15.000 PM kernel[0]: Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x200

This seems to happen most often when I am copying files to my SMB shared folder.

This has only started happening in 10.10.4, previously, the driver was very solid.

Is anyone else running into this issue as well?

Thanks.

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

Hi,

Ever since I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.4, I've been getting strange errors with my E2200 card:

7/2/15 1:53:15.000 PM kernel[0]: Ethernet [AtherosE2200]: Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x200

This seems to happen most often when I am copying files to my SMB shared folder.

This has only started happening in 10.10.4, previously, the driver was very solid.

Is anyone else running into this issue as well?

I have two machines with version 2.0.0 of this driver running under 10.10.4 (including my server with 24/7 uptime), and none of them has had any problems since I upgraded to 10.10.4 almost 6 days ago. That's why I'm quite sure that your problem is neither a driver bug nor has anything to do with 10.10.4 in particular, but it reminds me of this issue:

http://www.insanelym...220x/?p=2128204

According to experiences I made during test runs while the driver was still under development, fatal interrupts occur when something has disabled the NIC's ability to act as a bus master so that it's no longer able to perform DMA operations. Did you change anything in the UEFI setup, in particular with regard to the UEFI network support? It might also be a sleep/wake related problem which usually indicates that there is something wrong in the DSDT.

Mieze

PS: Please send me your complete kernel logs!

Edited by Mieze, 09 July 2015 - 01:40 PM.

coolspot18

coolspot18

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Mieze,

I gave the suggested fix a try by disabling the "Ipv4 PXE Support" and "Ipv6 PXE Support" options in the BIOS but this did not fix things.

It seems that every time my networking has died it was because a SMB copy was running! Normal day to day operation the system seems to be very stable, but every few SMB copies the driver will lock up.

What logs would help to debug this issue? Should I send over my entire log file? 

Thanks!

http://www.insanelym...220x/?p=2128204

According to experiences I made during test runs while the driver was still under development, fatal interrupts occur when something has disabled the NIC's ability to act as a bus master so that it's no longer able to perform DMA operations. Did you change anything in the UEFI setup, in particular with regard to the UEFI network support? It might also be a sleep/wake related problem which usually indicates that there is something wrong in the DSDT.

Mieze

PS: Please send me your complete kernel logs!

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 734 posts

Please see post #1 of this thread for instructions.

Mieze

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy