Solution for Qualcomm Atheros AR816x, AR817x and Killer E220x

Mieze

298 posts in this topic

Hi ! 

I've got an MSI H97 Gaming 3 motherboard with a Killer E2205 ethernet controller.

I've installed the AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext version 2.3.0 on my Mojave 10.14.6 installation in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other (also tried /L/E before btw). 

But unfortunately, the ethernet card is not recognized. 

I noticed that the kext is not matched as you can see on the screenshot.

vTOYbxS - Imgur.png

On 8/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, Matiuso said:

Hmmm. How can I do that ?

For example by creating a network interface... :lol:

Edited by Mieze

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

For example by creating a network interface... :lol:

Alright but I cannot create an ethernet interface because the ethernet controller is not recognized. 

Built-in serial port is the only option available.

Btw, on another forum, someone suggested spoofing an id. However I don't how should I do that.

Just now, Matiuso said:

Alright but I cannot create an ethernet interface because the ethernet controller is not recognized. 

Your screenshot clearly shows that the driver is loaded and attached to the hardware but there is no network interface attached to the driver.

Mieze

13 hours ago, Mieze said:

Your screenshot clearly shows that the driver is loaded and attached to the hardware but there is no network interface attached to the driver.

Mieze

I've tried 

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

- sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist    

Then reboot but as you can see on the screenshot I have no ethernet interface available in the network panel.

Maybe I'm missing something or I've misunderstood what you were saying.

EDIT : I've followed that guide here

And I typed "sudo softwareupdate --background" in terminal then reboot my computer.

Now, Ethernet interface shows up but says "cable disconnected".

Capture d’écran 2019-08-05 à 12.41.29.png

Capture d’écran 2019-08-05 à 12.55.02.png

Edited by Matiuso

On 7/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mison said:

I'm really confused!

But the id is true.

I have a laptop DELL G7 7590 with Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

FF11146483F486B4BC7DD4345AE7DE21.thumb.jpg.0147c9730bca60d3b11d02b8cd903fc7.jpg

I found another example.

GIGABYTE AERO 15-SA with E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Xnip2019-08-06_22-04-48.thumb.jpg.ee06182d3d614a71e68e32a22c3f35ff.jpg

@Mison Well, although these NICs are called Killer E2600, I doubt that it's the same device because they have different vendor and device IDs. Looks like the only thing they have in common with the traditional Killer NICs is the brand name. Therefore I don't think that the driver supports these chips, at least I have no reason to assume that they are supported.

EDIT: Reading through the Linux kernel sources I can confirm that these chips have nothing in common with the rest of the Killer family but are based on a Realtek design so that it might be possible to add support for them to my Realtek driver.

Edited by Mieze

17 hours ago, Mieze said:

@Mison  嗯,虽然这些NIC被称为Killer E2600,但我怀疑它是同一个设备,因为它们有不同的供应商和设备ID。看起来他们与传统Killer NIC的共同点就是品牌名称。因此我认为驱动程序不支持这些芯片,至少我没有理由认为它们是受支持的。

编辑:通过Linux内核源代码阅读我可以确认这些芯片与Killer系列的其他产品没有任何共同之处,但它们基于Realtek设计,因此可以向我的Realtek驱动程序添加对它们的支持。

I see. 

Thank you for your explanation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just updated the prebuilt binary in the download section to version 2.3.2 in which I fixed VLAN support (used to be broken in older versions). The binary is for 10.14 or newer.

• 5 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 5:42 AM, Mieze said:

Yesterday I upgraded my test machine to Big Sur and can confirm that version 2.3.3 of the driver is working fine with Big Sur too.

Mieze :cat:

Hi @Mieze Does WOL work properly too with this driver & BigSur? 

Thank you so much for this driver, it's been working flawlessly for several years now in my Haswell laptop. I've a little problem with Big Sur though. Wake on LAN is not working properly, I'm not sure if it's related to the driver or not. What happens is that when I wake my hack with the WOL magic packet it starts up the wake up process, but external display doesn't show any signal and the machine goes back to sleep again. Pressing a key on the keyboard wakes the machine up properly, the same if I open the lid or press the power button... this only happens with BigSur, it works perfectly with Catalina and Mojave booting with the same exact EFI... any ideas? 

My machine has a Qualcomm Atheros AR8161

Thank you!

D.

• 1 month later...

@Dragster27 The driver's responsibility is to program the hardware to generate a wakeup event on reception of a Magic Packet, nothing else an nothing more. Anything else falls into the domain of the OS and the ACPI tables. As I haven't changed the hardware related code and there haven't been any changes in the OS's driver interface, I can rule out a driver related issue.

Mieze :cat: