iMessage and FaceTime - misbehaving again!

50 posts in this topic

Hi, folks!

I just noticed a strange behavior with both FaceTime and iMessage, after not having been notified by iMessage on my Mac when them messages were arriving on my iPhone, for a while now. In fact, I think, since I installed DP4. I left it alone this time because of other priorities, but decided to fix it today. I obviously thought I was having some of that odd authentication issues, despite having done all the steps to get it set up properly. But when I opened Messages to check if I could log in, I realized I was already logged in! I tried to sign out and in, and it went without issues. But the issue persisted. Despite being logged in, I'm not receiving any iMessages. I'm not able to send any iMessages either: at first, all tries returned "this number/address is not registered to iMessages". Afterwards, the option was simply not available to any of my contacts!

That's not all: I decided to check FaceTime, because the issues that affect iMessage use to affect also FaceTime, and I was worried for a good reason: FaceTime also logs in and out fine, but won't let me start a conversation, both audio and video, with any of my contacts!

Is there anyone experiencing the same kind of problems? If there is, I wonder if Apple decided to deliver us a sucker punch and changed (again) the way it authenticates its services...

All the best!

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 02.49.37.png

P.S.: I just realized I'm being consistently kicked from iMessage after a couple of minutes, having to log in again! If I try to log in to FaceTime, i'm kicked immediately! What the heck...?

• Like 2

Hi @theconnactic,

iMessage and Facetime working OK for me in both Yosemite DP4 and the public beta.

Have you checked your NVRAM.plist is being saved?  What Clover version are you using? 

From memory, versions before r2719 used RC scripts (which are deprecated in Yosemite) ---> NVRAM.plist fails to save on logout ---> iMessage failure.  More recent versions use Clover launch daemon which works well in DP1 but DP2-DP4 broke something and you also have to use @pokenguyen's logout hook workaround...

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

Have a look at @pokenguyen's AIO guide and once you have confirmed your NVRAM is working, you can go to the next step which is troubleshooting using Elnono's imessage_debug tool - procedure here for using serials from a real Mac or Apple Support validated hackintosh to fix the problem 100% (even without credit card :)).

Good Luck!

Edit

Some background on the history of Clover and Chameleon's iMessage fix in my post from the Clover General Discussion Thread.  The validating process is still the same as before but Apple is now more vigorous in checking for real serials (registered on their databases) and any inconsistencies in the iMessage variables when logging in (as would happen if your NVRAM was not working). 

DP5 restores correct functioning of Clover's launch daemon so NVRAM.plist is saved on shutdown again (without @pokenguyen's logout hook).  Install Clover r2795 with "install RC scripts" option ---> Clover daemon now works and will save NVRAM.plist automatically when you shut down the computer and reboot.

• Like 1

Exactly the same message I get, ekika! Plus, I'm kicked from iMessage (which is not working anyway, despite log in successfully) every time I try to log in to FaceTime.

Fusion, unfortunately, as I said, I got everything properly set up. I still have a Mavericks partition, with the very same serial/board/UUID, which works fine with both iMessage and FaceTime. My Yosemite partition uses latest Clover, and I use pokenguyen workaround from the day one.

P.S.: Gee, I made a mistake posting here: can someone transfer this topic to the post-installation forum?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Topic moved for great justice
  • Like 1

@theconnactic,

Are you able to logout and log back in successfully to iMessages in Mavericks with no problems?

Can you run the imessage_debug tool in Mavericks and then run in Yosemite and compare the outputs? The values for MLB, ROM, IOPlatformUUID and IOPlatformSerialNumber should be identical between the two OS if everything is set up properly....

@ekica,

Are you sure you had iMessages (the Apple variety) working in Yosemite with Chameleon?  I remember your screenshot in this post was JabberIM with Google talk :).

• Like 2

@ekica,

Are you sure you had iMessages (the Apple variety) working in Yosemite with Chameleon?  I remember your screenshot in this post was JabberIM with Google talk :).

Yes I connected via my Apple Id and add google account but Message does not work via my Apple ID.But work FaceTime every time.

UPDATE:I do'n have a ID Card.I have a DinaCard but it is not compatibility for Apple.

@ekica,

Just double click on the file in Finder :).

I would recommend the same steps for you as @theconnactic.  Confirm your NVRAM is working and that Clover's NVRAM.plist is being saved on shutdown (show hidden files in Finder and look at its timestamp in the root directory).

Then use the imessage_debug tool to get the serials from a real Mac or a Hackintosh with confirmed working iMessage (eg where you can login & logout and iMessage still works) ---> "transplant" the same serials on the hack ---> profit :D.  Procedure in my post here.

@theconnactic,

Are you able to logout and log back in successfully to iMessages in Mavericks with no problems?

Can you run the imessage_debug tool in Mavericks and then run in Yosemite and compare the outputs? The values for MLB, ROM, IOPlatformUUID and IOPlatformSerialNumber should be identical between the two OS if everything is set up properly....

Yes and yes, Fusion. :)

The issues I'm experiencing are quite odd, and perhaps are somehow related to something else, even perhaps the Apple ID itself (worst case scenario, since I don't really have a legitimate serial to call Apple and get it fixed if it's the case, but I have to consider the possibility, since my cell phone number just got an extra digit from the carrier and the Apple ID list it the old way, despite it working as fine as before on all Apple mobile devices I have).

I decided to go legacy, because the need of mounting and unmounting EFI every time I need to make changes proved itself too annoying, but now I have this problem:             #155            

P.S.: thank you, Gringo Vermelho

@theconnactic,

I have a few other suggestions for you to try

• If you have access to a friend's real Mac, run the imessage_debug tool and ask to "borrow" his/her serials (ROM, MLB being the most significant.  You can use a different SmUUID).
  • Try @heryts serials from this postEdit 8/6/14 - Looks like these serials are now blocked again!
  • Create another AppleID

PS I find enabling the debug mode in Disk Utility and showing all partitions makes mounting the EFI very easy

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

post-846696-0-02302800-1402218000_thumb.

• Like 1

@ekica,

Just double click on the file in Finder :).

I would recommend the same steps for you as @theconnactic.  Confirm your NVRAM is working and that Clover's NVRAM.plist is being saved on shutdown (show hidden files in Finder and look at its timestamp in the root directory).

Then use the imessage_debug tool to get the serials from a real Mac or a Hackintosh with confirmed working iMessage (eg where you can login & logout and iMessage still works) ---> "transplant" the same serials on the hack ---> profit :D.  Procedure in my post here.

This is my NVRam test

OsxAptioFixDrv-RelocBase	%00%e0U%c3%00%00%00%00
Clover.LogLineCount	3000
EmuVariableUefiPresent	Yes
security-mode	none
Clover.MountEFI	Yes
prev-lang:kbd	en:0
Clover.LogEveryBoot	10
MyVar	TestValue
efi-boot-device	<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>235C5ABE-5BAA-4C63-88B7-5297FB0D0FBF</string></dict></dict></dict></array>
fmm-computer-name	Ibragic%e2%80%99s iMac
efi-boot-device-data	%02%01%0c%00%d0A%03%0a%00%00%00%00%01%01%06%00%02%1f%03%12%0a%00%01%00%ff%ff%00%00%04%01*%00%02%00%00%00(@%06%00%00%00%00%00%00%ba%02%1d%00%00%00%00%beZ\#%aa[cL%88%b7R%97%fb%0d%0f%bf%02%02%7f%ff%04%00
LocationServicesEnabled	%01

FaceTime and iMessage still don't work. Everything else is fine.

@theconnactic,

I think your temporary success with @heryts posted serials (now blocked by Apple again due to too many people using them) points to the problem being your fake generated serials & possibly your AppleID, not your NVRAM or Clover setup.

I'm pretty sure everything will work again if you use genuine serials from a Mac & possibly a new AppleID (your old ID may be flagged by Apple as looking "suspicious"?). 

On a different note,  DP5 restores correct functioning of Clover's launch daemon so NVRAM.plist is saved on shutdown again (without @pokenguyen's logout hook).  Install Clover r2795 with "install RC scripts" option ---> Clover daemon now works and will save NVRAM.plist automatically when you shut down the computer and reboot :).

PS to remove the old logout hook, type in OSX terminal....

sudo defaults delete com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook
  • Like 1

Fusion, I have both an iMac and a MacBookAir genuine serials, using then on my desktop and my 1201n respectively. My desktop hack can use iMessage and FaceTime with Mavericks/Chameleon, so I'll perhaps try Yosemite on it when a Chameleon solution matures, enabling me to simply instal Yos over my current Mav disk instead of clean install it. For the 1201n there's no way out: it's Atom, needs Clover for anything newer than 10.8.5.

The issue is, I haven't any perspective of getting the MLB and the UID for these specific models (iMac and MBA), just the serial numbers, which I already have. I have a MacBookPro though, a mid 2011 one: can I use its MLB and UID for both my hacks, keeping their model-specific serial numbers (because I need those specific Mac families in either smbioses for hw compatibility reasons)?

@theconnactic,

Yes, you can use the serials from the MBP.

The crucial values, ROM & MLB, must be genuine and from the same Mac (I also use the same 12 Digit System Serial from my mac mini but I'm being careful).  The SmUUID for the hack can be unique and different from the Mac's.

Applying MLB & ROM to the "RT Variables" section in Clover (and MLB in Main Board Serial key in SMBIOS section of config.plist) ----> your hack will show the same model in the "About this Mac" screen as the "donor" Mac but since everything else in the SMBIOS section is correct, then Clover uses the appropriate SMBIOS for power management, sleep etc.

PS Why don't you create a Clover boot USB and boot into your Mavericks/chameleon install?  Just find the system-ID, ROM & MLB of the chameleon install like I explained in my procedure  and use them in the appropriate sections of Clover's config.plist on your USB.  Run the iMessage-debug tool to confirm that all the variables are the same when booting with Clover :).

P.S.: and my AppleID is not flagged in any way: I just tested it on my MBP, logging out and back in to every Apple cloud-based service. It would be unusual for Apple to ban the ID of a customer who bought lots of software from their App Store and has quite a few iDevices based on a suspicion. ;)

Going to try my MBP IDs on my 1201n and report back. Thank you!

All the best!

Hi, again!

Well, the solution worked very well for my desktop mackintosh. Unfortunately, no luck for my 1201N: I still cannot log in to iMessage, getting a classic authentication failure or "check your network connection" box (attached below). About FaceTime, I can actually log in to it, but cannot stay so for more than a few seconds: soon, a keychain access message pops up (also attached bellow) and, no matter what I choose from the options presented, I'm kicked out from the server and cannot log back in. Also. I noticed that I still have MacBookAir 2,1 on my system report, instead of my "donor" MacBookPro 8,1 (attached bellow). At first I though I did something wrong with the config.plist, but I don't seem to find the eventual mistake (attached below). Can you take a look?

All the best!

iMessage error.png

Keychain crap.png

System report.png

config.plist.zip

@theconnactic,

Please follow my procedure exactly and run the imessage_debug tool again on your ASUS netbook hack.  The values should be the same as the values you get when you run the tool on your MBP.

Your provided config.plist has all the serials hashed out (I assume you did this deliberately for security reasons? :))

Errors I noticed

• MLB=6 characters instead of 17
  • ROM=6 characters instead of 12
  • SmUUID=22 characters instead of 32
  • Serial Number=13 characters instead of 12
  • No custom UUID specified in System Parameters (Custom UUID= 32 digit System ID)
  • Inject SystemID is set to false instead of true

The fact that "About this Mac" doesn't show the model of the "donor" Mac suggests that your config.plist isn't being saved correctly or being saved in the wrong location in the EFI.  See this post by @MilesTeg1 who had similar symptoms to you but later discovered that his config.plist wasn't being saved in the EFI!!!

PS

Can you upload the output of imessage_debug on your MBP and the output when you run it on your hack?  Of course you should hash some/all the characters in your serials...I want to compare the other outputs (IOPower variables). 

• Like 1

Sorry, fusion: all the strings have the correct number of digits, and I did hashed for security reasons, but I didn't care for the exactness "spelling" of it: I assumed you'd undestand I put the correct strings from the debug tool into place, verbatim, which I did. But you in fact perhaps uncovered a mistake: I'll set inject system ID to false: of your recommendations, is the only one I haven't already done.

P.s.: I'm worried my nvram isn't working properly, despite having a nvram plist at the root, because I'm prompted to input my iCloud password every time I start my computer.

P.p.s: will do. This time, I'll hash exactly. ;)

P.p.p.s.: oh, and my config is indeed in EFI.

Solved! Silliest mistake possible: so silly even you couldn't spot it on my config.plist. See:

MLB

xxxxxxx instead of xxxxxxx

The mistake was present in both MLB and ROM keys. Corrected it, now everything goes fine. But I must add this: thanks to I being very specific in the SMBIOS, it still displays as a MacBookAir in System Report.

I'll mark this as solved, for everyone to know your solution works even in cases like mine. Thank you very much for the advices and patience to help me out.

All the best!

• Like 1

@theconnactic,

Congratulations and my pleasure :thumbsup_anim:.

Thanks for confirming the method works (personally, I knew it would if everything from NVRAM to the use of genuine serials was done correctly and meticulously) :).

If you use Clover Configurator to input the MLB & ROM values, it correctly uses "string" instead of "data" specified (incorrectly) in the Clover wiki for the ROM entry.

I think your findings emphasize how good El Nono's original research was and that the exact same variables are still used in iMessage & Facetime authentication then as now.  The only difference is that Apple have become stricter in their checking for genuine serials....

Regards

Fusion

• Like 1