HD4400 (i3 4130) GPU compatibility

drule

6 posts in this topic

I just came across pokenguyen's AIO guide that makes note of the HD4400 low chance of being usable with Mavericks.

As this is the only mention I have been able to find, can anyone confirm this? (I was just about to buy the mentioned processor)

Desktop HD4400 is not supported, while mobile HD4400 is supported.

Desktop HD4400 is not supported, while mobile HD4400 is supported.

Damn! Well, looks like I have to pickup a graphics card.

Any suggestions on a low cost card, that will be compatible with Mavericks? Or maybe it would just make more sense to pickup an i5 cpu?

Damn! Well, looks like I have to pickup a graphics card.

Any suggestions on a low cost card, that will be compatible with Mavericks? Or maybe it would just make more sense to pickup an i5 cpu?

I'd swap the CPU. But that is mostly because I have no use for discrete cards... integrated works just fine for my needs.

As a result, I also have no experience with choosing/using discrete cards with OS X, so no advice for you there.

Do you know if anyone has got the 4400 to work on a desktop? The original post referred to said 'rarely', so I suppose that someone must have got it to work...

Ok, also just found out that the i3-4330 3.5Ghz has HD4600 GPU, so may go for that. Is there any real advantage to spending the extra 100 for an i5?

Do you know if anyone has got the 4400 to work on a desktop? The original post referred to said 'rarely', so I suppose that someone must have got it to work...

No one has gotten it to work with QE/CI. CI is easy to get to work, but not QE. Even though I don't have the hardware, I've made various attempts and all were unsuccessful. I'm not saying it is impossible... someone with the skills, hardware, and motivation could probably make QE work. Most people with skills lack the motivation due to it being easier to simply purchase a supported CPU in the first place.

Ok, also just found out that the i3-4330 3.5Ghz has HD4600 GPU, so may go for that. Is there any real advantage to spending the extra 100 for an i5?

If the i3 meets your needs, go for it. The desktop HD4600 definitely works, whereas desktop HD4400 doesn't.