AirDrop/Continuity/Hands Off Fix How-to

77 posts in this topic

HANDS OFF/CONTINUITY/AIRDROP FIX HOW-TO

For anyone using Yosemite and iOS 8, here's the summary of how to make those new features work. I tested it on some system, please report if it's not working for you.

Continuity: Enable you to receive/answer cellular call and SMS from Yosemite. Requirements:
- Internet access in same local network with iOS 8 iPhone.
- Working iMessage/FaceTime
- Enable "iPhone Cellular Calls" in FaceTime preferences.

4HDH5XZ.png

AirDrop Mac-to-Mac: Send files between Mac systems.
Requirements:
- Working PCI Wifi card, not USB.

EaVXDV4.png

AirDrop Mac-to-iOS: Send files between Yosemite system and iOS 8 devices. You can check by going to AirDrop in Finder, if you have option AirDrop:Off/Everyone, you're ok. If you only see Airdrop with older Macs, you're not supported.
Requirements:
- BT 3.0+, I don't have BT 2.0 to test.
- Loaded Brcm4360.kext for PCI BROADCOM Wifi card, like BCM4322/43224/43225/4352. You can check the loading kext by running this:

kextstat | grep AirPort

If you're using BCM4322, you have to remove its device id in AirPortBrcm4331.kext and add it in AirPortBrcm4360.kext. The remaining 3 kexts can be injected by WifiInjector.kext.

Or you can use Clover's FakeID/DSDT to fake your Broadcom card to one of id in AirPortBrcm4360.kext.

0RgoVsA.png

Hands Off: Some cool functions like sharing the current Safari page, Maps location on iOS 8 to Yosemite. You can check if it's available or not by looking for Hands off toggle in System Preferences > General.
Requirements: same as AirDrop Mac-to-IOS + the Handoff patch http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302410-patch-enabling-handoff-for-non-apple-bt4-devices

YcgxYNW.png

• Like 13

For anyone using Yosemite and iOS 8, here's the summary of how to make those new features work. I tested it on some system, please report if it's not working for you.

Continuity: Enable you to receive/answer cellular call and SMS from Yosemite. Requirements:

- Internet access in same local network with iOS 8.

- Working iMessage/FaceTime

- Enable Receive cellular call in FaceTime preferences.

I don't seem to find this option in FaceTime preferences. Where should it be?

i'm testing it...all work...except handoff and airdrop but i haven't bluetooth if someone know a compatible bt tell me...only one bug...sometimes i have to start a call from my iphone to be able to call from yosemite...but after that it calls and receveis perfectly

• 2 weeks later...

I've interchanged the IDs and enabled handoff, on the laptop all seems to be ok

but no button on the iphone 4s settings, is this phone not handoff compatible ?

On early dp releases the slider was there, anyone with 4s and working handoff?

• 4 weeks later...

Which SMBIOS do you use if I may ask? If I'm not a complete idiot I have the very same card and it doesn't work at all here... well, "at all" is a little over-dramatic as the "Call from iPhone" functionality is somewhat present, however AirDrop Mac-to-iPhone and Handoff are not.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: OS X version would be helpful as well as DP7 changed stuff.

AirDrop Mac-to-iOS: Send files between Yosemite system and iOS 8 devices. You can check by going to AirDrop in Finder, if you have option AirDrop:Off/Everyone, you're ok. If you only see Airdrop with older Macs, you're not supported.

Requirements:

- BT 3.0+, I don't have BT 2.0 to test.

- Loaded Brcm4360.kext for PCI BROADCOM Wifi card, like BCM4322/43224/43225/4352. You can check the loading kext by running this:

kextstat | grep AirPort

If you're using BCM4322, you have to remove its device id in AirPortBrcm4331.kext and add it in AirPortBrcm4360.kext. The remaining 3 kexts can be injected by WifiInjector.kext.

Or you can use Clover's FakeID/DSDT to fake your Broadcom card to one of id in AirPortBrcm4360.kext.

I used a third option for my BCM4322 wifi card, a DSDT patch to my wifi device at _SB/PCI0@0/RP01@1c0000/PXSX@0

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x12)
                        {
                            "AAPL,slot-name", 
                            Buffer (0x08)
                            {
                                "AirPort"
                            }, 
                            "device-id", 
                            Unicode ("*"), 
                            "device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x08)
                            {
                                "AirPort"
                            }, 
                            "model", 
                            Buffer (0x36)
                            {
                                "Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller"
                            }, 
                            "subsystem-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x2B, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "subsystem-vendor-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0xE4, 0x14, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 
                            "compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci14e4,43ba"
                            }, 
                            "IOName", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci14e4,43ba"
                            }, 
                            "name", 
                            Buffer (0x0D)
                            {
                                "pci14e4,43ba"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

This patch just tells the system that pci1434,43ba is a compatible hardware id for my device's ids (14e4,432b).  It is the first hardware id listed in the AirPortBrcm4360.kext's info.plist so it uses that kext instead of the AirPortBrcm4331.kext.

This looks very interresting and promising, im deffo gonna built this into my hackintosh!

Hardware question thou, Would a combo of the TP-link TL-WDN480 and a IOgear BT 4.0 adapter be sufficient (most cost efficient i assume)

Or do we need hardware like this Apple Branded adapter

Probly both will work but i want to be sure :)

edit: i found this card, which seems cheap and neat, but wondering if the bluetooth part will work on this for handoff/continuity

This looks very interresting and promising, im deffo gonna built this into my hackintosh!

Hardware question thou, Would a combo of the TP-link TL-WDN480 and a IOgear BT 4.0 adapter be sufficient (most cost efficient i assume)

Or do we need hardware like this Apple Branded adapter

Probly both will work but i want to be sure :)

edit: i found this card, which seems cheap and neat, but wondering if the bluetooth part will work on this for handoff/continuity

If you skip to the bottom of the listing you will have your answer on the card you found on ebay in your last sentence :) 

• Not: Not for IBM/HP/Apple Desktop!!