UEFI Windows Booting from Clover Broken with Graphics Driver?

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have three hard drives in my setup: two dedicated to Mac OS X and its backup, and one for Windows. I'm trying to get both OSes (Ubuntu boots via USB) to play nicely.

Clover is installed to the EFI partition of the Mac OS X hard drive. It's also set as the default boot device. Mac version here shouldn't matter, and I run Windows 8.1 Pro. I have also applied SSDT and DSDT patches via aml files. I don't know if Clover injects those into non-Mac OSes.

When I did a fresh UEFI reinstall of Windows, both the USB installer and the resulting Windows hard drive booted fine from Clover's menu.

BUT, once I installed Nvidia's 337.88 WHQL driver or the CUDA 6 driver, Clover boots Windows into a black screen. The spinning wheel is there, but after that the desktop does not load. Booting via the UEFI boot device selection in the BIOS into the Windows Boot Manager makes the graphics work, but then what's the point of installing Clover?

What's interesting is that Clover boots Windows not from Clover's EFI file but the Windows's bootmgfw.efi file (or at least that's the theory). So to Windows, it should be the same as booting natively without a Clover layer.

But obviously it's not. The screen doesn't work.

Anyone know a fix to this? Thanks!

*Addition*

Monitors are running through a Gigabyte GTX770 4GB, dual display on both DVI slots. Since Windows is going to be mainly for gaming use, I'd prefer if these monitors stay in these slots...

I've actually struggled with this problem in the past many times, but now that I'm left running Yosemite I have no choice but to address it ;-;

So far I have tried replacing the bootmgfw.efi with the bootx64.efi found under the Windows HD's EFI/Boot. This should bypass the Windows Boot Manager (which is, in essence, Windows version of Clover) and directly boot Windows. No luck!

Tried pressing Win+P for screen switching. Still no luck.

Can anyone please help?

The solution to this was, strangely enough, enabling Secure Boot and disabling CSM.

Despite this, however, Mac OS X boots fine. Linux, on the other hand, is completely inaccessible as I installed that on a 8GB partition on my USB 3.0 16GB drive, albeit in EFI mode.

Secure Boot also seems to disable viewing the UEFI BIOS via the graphics card DVI out as well as controlling anything with USB peripherals, meaning I've just locked myself out of the BIOS and need to reset the CMOS if I want to change anything xP This will be a pain in the butt for future overclocking.

But this is the final step of my Hackintoshing so all's good I guess.