• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I am considering developing a kit to convert the aging Xserve Raid rack into a useable enclosure. You can now routinely find these units on eBay for around $100, and considering the cost of typical rack unit (which aren't even as nice), I thought it would be about time to look at repurposing this beautifully made case into something builders could recycle. Basically this kit would include replacement PCBs for the drive sleds so that we can use standard SATA drives, while retaining both the power and activity lights. Secondly the kit would include a backplane PCB with standard molex and SAS connections. This would make the unit usable for homebuilt servers, NAS applications, or even just as a SAS expander. My target price for the entire kit would be around $200-250. I know this sounds like a lot but considering the quality of this case it is really comparable to other cases. Anyway, I put it to you guys to see if this would be something the community would be interested in. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Dan

Attached File  XServe Raid.jpg   456.72KB   1 downloads

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Sounds pretty cool, and something that Apple should have done before killing it would have been to do one last update to use this 'modern' technology called SATA.

weekender

weekender

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I'd totally be interested in this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XServe, Mod, NAS, SAS

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy