Clover = high disk activity on boot?

TIMMAYOSX

11 posts in this topic

I use EFI Clover to boot between Yosemite (EFI), and Windows 8.1 (legacy) and it's working very well.   One curiosity I have however, is when I turn on my computer, my hard disk light is on for a good 15 seconds with a consistent, but not solid light (it is definitely reading something) - when I get to the Clover menu, it is ok. 

If I boot into Windows 8.1, it boots right away and quick.  If I boot into Yosemite, it has that same weird disk activity for 15 seconds before actually starting to boot.

Does anybody know what this could be?

I am using Clover 2774, but this happen with all previous releases as well. 

Well, to compare booting straight to Windows with Clover is unfair because Clover has to search on every hard drive (even USB ones) for any available bootloader. That's probably the delay you're seeing before Clover starts. Some USB hubs (like bluetooth dongles) can also increase this delay, so try booting without any unnecessary device.

The second delay might be because Clover is forcing Yosemite to ignore the kextcache, but remember Yosemite is still a beta so it might actually be an OS problem.

You could also try to compile your own Clover version that ignores USB devices completely (except for the kb) which can reduce boot times a lot. In my case it went from 20-25 seconds to just 3.

In my case it is really fast (reaching menu and booting Yosemite) and I have a olde laptop hard disk  and a hugely lower end computer than yours.

I have only one HD, a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, no optical drive. How many hard drives and USB devices have you plugged in

Well, to compare booting straight to Windows with Clover is unfair because Clover has to search on every hard drive (even USB ones) for any available bootloader. That's probably the delay you're seeing before Clover starts. Some USB hubs (like bluetooth dongles) can also increase this delay, so try booting without any unnecessary device.

The second delay might be because Clover is forcing Yosemite to ignore the kextcache, but remember Yosemite is still a beta so it might actually be an OS problem.

You could also try to compile your own Clover version that ignores USB devices completely (except for the kb) which can reduce boot times a lot. In my case it went from 20-25 seconds to just 3.

When booting Windows, it is done via the Clover boot menu (got the first delay to get into Clover, but no second one when booting starts).   I do have plenty of USB gadgets, hubs, jtags, and other paraphernalia installed on my PC, so I will unplug everything and see what it does with Yosemite.  It is weird as the delay seems to be getting longer and longer - when I first installed DP1, it was instantaneous, but now, four previews later, this issue is now present, and started on (well, first noticed anyhow) with DP2.

The second delay is definitely Clover related, and nothing to do with Yos, as it starts to boot after the delay (with verbose enabled).  It must be related to disk scanning though I do have it configured to only show the volumes I configured.

Yeh, well I unplugged all non-essential devices, but still no change.  I also went and tweaked the BIOS many times over but still no change.   I remember what I changed however..  I used to have Yosemite on an old 160GB drive when I was first evaluating it (DP1) which booted quick and without issues.  I then decommissioned that drive, and replaced it with a brand new 1TB (WD) around the time DP2 was released..  It was the drive replacement that caused the issue, not Yos version.

What could it be?  I put the 160GB back in, and it boots quick (even with latest Clover version).

Yeh, well I unplugged all non-essential devices, but still no change.  I also went and tweaked the BIOS many times over but still no change.   I remember what I changed however..  I used to have Yosemite on an old 160GB drive when I was first evaluating it (DP1) which booted quick and without issues.  I then decommissioned that drive, and replaced it with a brand new 1TB (WD) around the time DP2 was released..  It was the drive replacement that caused the issue, not Yos version.

What could it be?  I put the 160GB back in, and it boots quick (even with latest Clover version).

Which model is it? I have a 750GB 7200RPM WD black that I stopped using because it was constantly making noise like it was busy and it was super loud. I wouldn't say it was slow though. I'm assuming your new 1TB drive is the same speed as the 160GB?

Thank you all, I will look into the logging option (not sure where it is, or how to enable/disable, but I will find it).  As for the drive, it is a WD Blue and is quite a bit faster (and quieter) than my retired 160GB Samsung.