GA-z87n-WiFi BIOS Update

zhuangzi23

1 post in this topic

Gigabyte has very recently released a BIOS update for their GA-Z87N-wifi line of mobo's

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4600#bios

There appear to be several improvements with this update which include (for me):

1) Windows and OS X can now both run 100% stable under the same OC settings. On the last BIOS, F5, OS X could easily support 4.4+ GHz, but Windows 7.x would always crash unless set to 4.2 GHz (or lower)

2) Upon reboot, F5 would spin fan up to full/100% speed. Now, fan stays at same setting regardless

3) When gaming in Windows, if I quit a game when the fan was at 100% and rebooted into OS X, it would be about 1 to 2 minutes before fan would spin down to quiet settings. Now, rebooting automatically spins fan down and keeps it quiet

4) Additional OC/Power management settings in BIOS.

5) With no formal testing, overall, the CPU seems to run several degrees cooler in general.

5a) I can now drop the CPU voltage from 1.37 to 1.29 (@4.4 GHz) -> still testing to see how low I can go. This is a huge improvement. (yes, 5 and 5a are related)

BIOS has much better mouse handling, and nicely adds CPU temperature warnings amongst other OC-friendly features.

100% functionality with this latest update...making the GA-Z87N-wifi an ever better value given that it supports the latest Haswell chips.