Asus EAH6450 Video BIOS UEFI GOP Upgrade (And GOP UEFI binary in .efi for many ATI cards)

Andy Vandijck

144 posts in this topic

Yes. To use UEFI VBIOS you have to do some more steps in BIOS:

- CSM: never

- Full screen  Logo show: disabled

reboot and be sure the setting will take effect.

attachicon.gifcsm_never.png

I'm 99.9% sure my BIOS doesn't have that option, I think my mobo is too old... Unless that option only shows up if I have a UEFI VBIOS? I think there is a newer version of the UEFI beta BIOS so maybe they've added that option now, I guess I'll check.

Thanks Slice, I updated to the U1K BIOS and now I have that option and was able to get full resolution without CSMVideoDXE. By the way, it still works fine for me if I have the full-screen logo enabled, which I am glad about because the AMI logo is pretty ugly. 

I've modified the UEFI rom creator so that it can run under windows.

It uses a custom fixrom.exe for fixing the flags and checksums.

It also uses a custom tool for getting the vendor and device id's from the file name.

Enjoy :D;)

AMD-UEFI-GOP-MAKERV2-WIN.zip

• Like 5

hi, it is possible that works on HD 5770?

Look in the supported GPU list in GOP Maker V2, according to that HD 5700 is supported. Make sure you know how to recover it if anything goes wrong!

• Like 1

Thanks for reply, can you please give me sources for the rom cooking?

EDIT: Finally i found the way, unfortantly doent work for me.
The steps i follow:

1) Extract my rom from gpu with gpuz to my desktop named: original.rom

2) Boot hackintosh and copy original.rom name to rom folder of "AMD-UEFI-MAKER2"
3) Renamed original.rom to venId.devId.rom

4) Run the script and succesfully create uefi.rom

5) Boot windows and flash uefi.rom with atiwinflash.exe

After all that, atiwinflash successfully flashed new rom file but after restart my card haves old bios.

Any help?

EDIT2: The issue is created by AMD-UEFI-MAKER version 2, version 1 seems to work ok, im not on my home and i cant try it but when i create rom with version 1 rom is diferent by size compared to version 2, version 1 size is idem with original but version 2 is 60kb bigger. Maybe this is my problem.
I will update my post tonight, if all goes ok i will write a easy tutorial for anyone who wants uefi card.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply, can you please give me sources for the rom cooking?

EDIT: Finally i found the way, unfortantly doent work for me.

The steps i follow:

1) Extract my rom from gpu with gpuz to my desktop named: original.rom

2) Boot hackintosh and copy original.rom name to rom folder of "AMD-UEFI-MAKER2"

3) Renamed original.rom to venId.devId.rom

4) Run the script and succesfully create uefi.rom

5) Boot windows and flash uefi.rom with atiwinflash.exe

After all that, atiwinflash successfully flashed new rom file but after restart my card haves old bios.

Any help?

EDIT2: The issue is created by AMD-UEFI-MAKER version 2, version 1 seems to work ok, im not on my home and i cant try it but when i create rom with version 1 rom is diferent by size compared to version 2, version 1 size is idem with original but version 2 is 60kb bigger. Maybe this is my problem.

I will update my post tonight, if all goes ok i will write a easy tutorial for anyone who wants uefi card.

Why not try the windows version of the UEFI ROM maker above?

It has a different method for adding the old ROM and the UEFI part.

It also calculates the checksums differently (using a C program instead of a Python script).

It might work better for you...

• Like 1

We should be able to make this a Win7 and OS X version, don't see the need for 2 versions.

Your bat file calls 'bash.exe UEFI_ROM.command', so no need to change '#!/bin/bash' to #!bash.exe

The command file should know or be made to know which OS it is running on and adjust itself accordingly using variables for the tools.

e.g "bat file" contains parameter "Win"

bash.exe UEFI_ROM.command Win

UEFI_ROM.command:
#!/bin/bash
#set -x
# modified version from http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html
# STLVNUB 20/07/2014
# Andy V
# V3
workDIR="$(dirname $0)"
cd "$workDIR
"exten="" # running on OS X
notepad="open"
if [ "$1" == "Win" ]; then # bat file passes Win to command file
 exten=".exe" # running on Win
 notepad="notepad"
endif
if [ ! -f HD6450GOP.efi ]; then # this is the MAGIC UEFI file
  echo "No HD6450GOP.efi " && exit 1
else
EFIFILE=HD6450GOP.efi #"efi.gop.rom"fi
if [ ! -f Rom/*.rom ]; then # do as it says
  echo "Name your VBios as DevID-VenID.rom 
  e.g 1002.638f.rom place it in Rom folder and rerun" && exit 1 
else ORIGROM=`basename"$exten" $(ls"$exten" Rom/*.rom)` 
fi 
VENID=`getvendev"$exten" $ORIGROM vendor` 
DEVID=`getvendev"$exten" $ORIGROM device` 
size=`java"$exten" getSize Rom/"${ORIGROM}"` # javascript to size the rom 
echo "orig size - $size" 
echo "$VENID $DEVID" EFIROM="uefi.rom" # name for UEFI rom 
if [ -f "$EFIROM" ]; then 
  rm"$exten" -rf "$EFIROM" 
fi 
./Efirom"$exten" -o "$EFIROM" -b Rom/"${ORIGROM}" -ec "$EFIFILE" -l 0x30000 -f 0x$VENID -i 0x$DEVID 
fixrom"$exten" "$EFIROM" "$EFIROM" # fix some things 
echo "Your 'new' UEFI rom is ready at $EFIROM" # finished rom. 
./Efirom"$exten" -d $EFIROM >info.txt 
$notepad info.txt

If you compile your tools for OS X and Win then we can have one version ;) and make it V3

On Win7-32bit, your script complains about missing library for basename, may need to compile in dependancies.

Good job as per usual.

If you mean something like I've done to the script now: yes,...

It runs now on both Windows and OS X.

It uses the same tools under OS X as under Windows now and has been updated to enable an OS check using uname -s

If this returns Darwin, use OS X method, otherwise Windows style method.

All of these tools are pretty portable and can also run under Linux if needed... ;)

Hope you like it :D

It made under OS X an UEFI GOP ROM for me in about a second (lol)

AMD-UEFI-GOP-MAKERV3.zip

• Like 2

im back again....Version 2-3 not working for me, they both create 180~kb rom file, version 1 seems to work (create the correct size rom 128kb) but after flash my card with modded  i getting a big problem:
if i enable fast-boot and disable csm display stop working after windows load and keeping showing "windows starting screen" but windows loads in background (i can listen sound from speakers). After that my card broke (no output/black screen) and i re-flashed with stock rom used my secondary card.

GPU broke (blackscreen even on bios) occurs only if i boot windows with csm disabled and fast boot enabled (no matter if later reset my bios to defaults csm enabled etc), if boot osx via clover everything works good.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (Gigabyte)

i upload my original rom and patched rom if anyones want to help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb644gvi6ixwvik/roms.zip

• Like 1

It's a weird rom, maybe Andy can shed some light.

Script needs a few more checks.

But try this, is right size

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81717403/InsanelyMac/1002.68b8.rom.zip

I cut the first 64k from original and used that as the 1002.68b8.rom

May work ok now

Thanks dude can u upload it again (tonight  i return to my home)!

I haven't tried, to be honest, only have AMD 8600GT here.

We need a Magic efi file ( look in DonorEfi Folder) that does a lot of nVidia cards like to AMD-CARDS-LIST.txt does.

If you can supply such file for nVidia, then the answer is probably yes, It should work with a few extra tweaks ( IMHO) ;)

I'll look into it a bit more.

I've obtained some Nvidia ROMS.

It looks like they need to be specific to the card.

I've found no ID's inside the of the GOP so I can't be sure.

If you're wondering where I get my GOPs: http://www.gigabyte.us

They tend to give every ROM of every card they have.

My UEFIRomExtract tool (available from under the dev corner) can extract any GOP there might be in the ROM.

NOTE: One of these was prefixed with NVGA part, seek to 0x55 0xAA and remove bytes before it to extract GOP

NVidia GOP.zip

Hi, guys! I created my ROM with V4 for my ASUS EAH6850.

Everything works well so far, except that there are some graphic issues in my MB's bios setup interface:

post-957641-0-07727400-1408208687_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have the same problem here?

Btw, thanks to everyone who contributes to this great work!  :D  I've been looking forward to get a UEFI GOP for my 6850. And there it goes~ :whistle:

Barts.rom.zip

• Like 2

Good to see you got it going.

If you want to try this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81717403/InsanelyMac/7750.efi.zip

It MAY fix your issues,unzip file and drop it into DonorEfi, edit script with new file name on line 10.

Does Fast Boot work for you?

It seems my card can't get GOP works by 7750.efi with help of V4. My hack just turns on CSM Support every time after I turn it off.

Did I do something wrong?

Barts_7750.rom.zip

Fast Boot works for me with the 6450.efi one.

I also tried netkas' 6850 mac rom, but it can't works at all.

After turning off CSM Support, my system restarted twice and turned CSM Support on itself.

Btw, I found two documents which might be useful:

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UPFS11_P4_UEFI_GOP_AMD.pdf

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/2_-_AMD_UEFI_Plugfest_EDID_Spring2012.pdf

• Like 1

Hi.

Sorry for my english. I'm spanish and my english is so bad.

I finally updated 3 graphic cards to uefi gop in last two days with the information of this forum and others.

I've got some problems to do it, so I'm going to say how I do it.

I succesfully updated a sapphire radeon hd6790 1gb ddr5, an asus eah5450 1gb ddr3 and a xfx radeon hd-695x-cddc (radeon hd6950 with 2gb ddr5)

Three cards works ok in asrock 990fx extreme4 and asus m5a97 evo r2.0. I have windows 8.1 uefi installation, gpt partition and now i can use ultra fast boot in both motherboards and my updated cards.

Well, go to explication:

I'm not a macosx user. I use windows and linux normally, but i have a virtual machine with hackinstosh osX Maverick.

I started to update my sapphire radeon hd6790.

First, we need know if our card is supported in hd6450_gop_efi, so you need know your device ID. I use gpu-z to see device ID. You can download from: 

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

My hd6790 deviceID is 1002-673e.

Now, you need to download hd6450_gop_efi.zip that is attached in first post of this thread. Unzip and open HD6450GOP.html. You see the dissambled hd6450gop.efi text. Search in html for your deviceID. In my case, is the second part of 1002-673e, so i search for 673e in text of dissambled hd6450gop.efi.

If you have results, your card is supported by hd6450gop.efi, if not, you need another efi file that include your device.

I tryed in my hackinstosh to use amd-uefi-gop-maker version 1,2,3 and 4 with my original bios of 128kb file with that results:

Version 1: result a file with gop added but 141kb

Version 2: a file with gop added but 184kb

Version 3: idem that version 2, but files are not identical with an hexadecimal editor.

Version 4: Not works for me. I have an error that I don't remember and file is 0kb.

How i need a file of 128kb lenght for update my card and files are bigger, I investigate and I found that thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios

Special attention to this post:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios/120#post_20172963

I saw in amd-uefi-gop-maker, in file uefi_rom.command, that script search for a original file of 64kb and, if bigger, cut file to 64kb. So I decide to cut my original 128kb rom with an hex editor to a 64kb rom. I select from 0 to FFFF and copy to a new file. So i have my original bios of 64kb in new file. From 10000 to 1FFFF is empty in original 128kb, so i don't need it.

I try another time to use amd-uefi-gop-maker version 1,2,3 and 4 with my original bios of 64kb file with that results:

Version 1: result a file with gop added and 120kb file.

Version 2: file of 120kb.

Version 3: file of 120kb.

Version 4: file of 120kb.

I saw that 4 versions are 120kb and i need a file of max 128kb, so I'm in good way. I compare 4 files with hex editor and saw that versions 2, 3 and 4 have minimal difference, but version 1 have more difference.

I study  uefi_rom.command and saw that in version 1, we add efi.gop.rom (that is extracted from asus eah6450), to end of original 64kb file, but in version 2, 3 and 4, we use hd6450gop.efi (that is extracted from efi.gop.rom) and efirom to construct the gop amd and then add to the end of original 64kb file.

So if we use efi.gop.rom and added to our original 64kb file, we have have UEFI version description added to our moded bios, but if we use hd6450gop.efi, we don't have UEFI version description to our moded bios. This is important for later, so I decide to use version 1 and efi.gop.rom and not use version 2 to 4 for that problem.

Well, I try to flash my version 1 moded of 120kb in my sapphire 6790 and works fine. I can boot in ultra fast mode perfectly. But...

Why I have a file of 120kb and not 128kb???

I investigate and saw efi.gop.rom is 56kb. 64kb+56kb=120kb, so the problem is efi.gop.rom lenght...

I download original asus eah6450 rom and saw that file length is 120kb too. I view in hex editor and saw that uefi.gop.rom is extracted from asus eah6450 10000 to 1DFFF. If length is 1FFFF, then we have a rom with 128kb, so i decide to add to efi.gop.rom the 8kb that haven't with empty info in hex editor and i have a efi.gop.64k.rom that i use for now. I attach this file in the post, so you can download, rename as uefi.gop.rom and use in amd-uefi-gop-maker version 1, overwriting 56kb version.

I try to make a new rom with my original 64k rom and uefi.gop.64k.rom and now I have a file of 128kb exactly with uefi version description added. I flashed and works fine too. But...

I used another time, a program for create uefi bios for hd7000 series. You can download from his thread in:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1395490/ati-hd-7950-7970-bios-mod-thread

Is at end of first post, HD 7XXX Series GOP UEFI Bios Patcher Beta

With this program, you can add UEFI gop to any hd 7xxx if you have another rom with uefi gop included.

I used this program to do my moded rom for sapphire hd6790 and for xfx 6950 and works fine. In asus eah5450 i have an error and can't use, but i modify manually with hex editor and works fine too. I explicate that in another post.

Now I attach my uefi.gop.64k.rom so you can use if like.

efi.gop.64k.zip

Sorry for that large explication, but i think that can be an interest info for the thread.

Thanks, tedascuen

• Like 1

Now, I explicate how I can mod in windows and very easy your bios.

First, we need know your deviceID.

If you read my previous post, you saw that you need gpu-z. You can download from 

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You need HD6450_GOP_EFI.zip attached in first post of the thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=144667

You need too a bios with uefi gop added, so I attach my bios created with my previous post

bart.zip

You need the HD7XXX UEFI Patch tool Beta that is attached here:

HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta.zip

You need your bios that you want to mod. You can download a lot of bios original files from:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Now, open gpu-z and see your Device ID

post-1341270-0-23466300-1408303897_thumb.png

In that example, Device ID is 1002-67B1, but it's an example. You have something like 1002-XXXX where XXXX is info that we need.

I'm going to mod my xfx hd6950 that is Device ID 1002-6719, so info that we need is 6719, ok?

Now unzip HD6450_GOP_EFI.zip and open HD6450GOP.html

You see something like:

post-1341270-0-82136600-1408304346_thumb.png

Press Ctrl+F for search and write your second part of your device ID, in my case, 6719

post-1341270-0-78046500-1408304532_thumb.png

If you have results, you can continue. I have 3 results. First result say that is a hd6900 card, so I can continue

You now must open the HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta

post-1341270-0-62531000-1408304931_thumb.png

In Load vBios, click and select your original bios with not uefi support, in my case XFX.HD6950.2048.110106_1.rom

post-1341270-0-33006200-1408305335_thumb.png

You see your bios info and you see that uefi is missing

Now, in Add UEFI, click and select my Bart.rom, unzipped from bart.zip

post-1341270-0-56678100-1408305504_thumb.png

You see the uefi info from my modded rom and see that UEFI is disabled, so click on Activate UEFI

post-1341270-0-39813200-1408305620_thumb.png

You see that now Uefi is activated, but checksum is invalid, so click on Fix Checksum

post-1341270-0-46226000-1408305702_thumb.png

Now, you see that checksum is ok, so you can click on Save As and save your bios modded in your hdd. Now flash with atiflash and enjoy.

Best regards, tedascuen

Tomorrow I explicate how can i mod my asus eah5450 manually with an hex editor, because amd hd7xx uefi patch tool beta say an error with the bios, "Could not find AMD ATOMBIOS"

Best regards, tedascuen

It seems my card can't get GOP works by 7750.efi with help of V4. My hack just turns on CSM Support every time after I turn it off.

Did I do something wrong?

attachicon.gifBarts_7750.rom.zip

Fast Boot works for me with the 6450.efi one.

I also tried netkas' 6850 mac rom, but it can't works at all.

After turning off CSM Support, my system restarted twice and turned CSM Support on itself.

Btw, I found two documents which might be useful:

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UPFS11_P4_UEFI_GOP_AMD.pdf

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/2_-_AMD_UEFI_Plugfest_EDID_Spring2012.pdf

I download your first rom and modded with amd hd7xxx uefi patch tool.

I search your bios in vga bios collection from techpowerup and download 2 bios that are like yours. One have only 2 difference when i compared files. Another have 6 difference when i compared.

I upload 3 files in a zip and you can try.

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.zip

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.rom is your bios modded with uefi

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP2.rom is bios with 2 difference modded with uefi

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP3.rom is bios with 6 difference moddede with uefi

Regards, tedascuen

• Like 5

I download your first rom and modded with amd hd7xxx uefi patch tool.

I search your bios in vga bios collection from techpowerup and download 2 bios that are like yours. One have only 2 difference when i compared files. Another have 6 difference when i compared.

I upload 3 files in a zip and you can try.

attachicon.gifAsus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.zip

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.rom is your bios modded with uefi

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP2.rom is bios with 2 difference modded with uefi

Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP3.rom is bios with 6 difference moddede with uefi

Regards, tedascuen

I'm appreciative of your help! I tried "Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.rom" and it worked, expect that I still got the graphic issues described in post#57.

I'm sure that the rest of two roms would work in the same way.

So it's obviously that the problem is either on my UEFI Bios itself or on the HD6450GOP.efi.

Do you have any idea to use 6670's GOP rom on our cards with "HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta" or STLVNUB's tool?

I extracted the gigabyte 6670 GOP binary beginning from 0x10000 and convert the rom to efi with Andy's UEFIRomExtract.

6670.efi.zip

I tried to created my rom by the 6670.efi with V4 and flashed it to my EAH6850 with help of ATIFlash successfully, but the UEFI GOP was not working at all.

Edit.

@STLVNUB

I found out that the 6670.efi and 7750.efi don't support my card. (1002-6739)

I disassembly the efi files through IDA and couldn't see HD6850's device-id. Gonna try other GOP roms myself...  :wallbash:

It means the 6450 rom which Andy provided here is the only UEFI GOP rom working for me so far.

Edited by shiecldk
  • Like 1

I just come back to give you guys a quick report here.

I tried many GOP roms from techpowerup, and these are the roms supporting my card by checking their disassembly efi files:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/141071/asus-hd7850-1024-130221-1.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/140572/gigabyte-hd7790-1024-130304.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/141558/xfx-hd7790-1024-130322.html

However I still can't get GOP work with the above three roms. And I'm sure I created the roms correctly with both "HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta" and V4.

Now I suspect the gigabyte's 6450 GOP, which Andy introduced here, is just actually an universal rom from the vendor... :drool:

(Means that it wasn't even optimized for 6450?! :hyper: Maybe they release the rom just about to catch up their company's deadline...  :ninja: )

• Like 1

I'm appreciative of your help! I tried "Asus.HD6850.1024.110616.GOP.rom" and it worked, expect that I still got the graphic issues described in post#57.

I'm sure that the rest of two roms would work in the same way.

So it's obviously that the problem is either on my UEFI Bios itself or on the HD6450GOP.efi.

Do you have any idea to use 6670's GOP rom on our cards with "HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta" or STLVNUB's tool?

I extracted the gigabyte 6670 GOP binary beginning from 0x10000 and convert the rom to efi with Andy's UEFIRomExtract.

attachicon.gif6670.efi.zip

I tried to created my rom by the 6670.efi with V4 and flashed it to my EAH6850 with help of ATIFlash successfully, but the UEFI GOP was not working at all.

Edit.

@STLVNUB

I found out that the 6670.efi and 7750.efi don't support my card. (1002-6739)

I disassembly the efi files through IDA and couldn't see HD6850's device-id. Gonna try other GOP roms myself...  :wallbash:

It means the 6450 rom which Andy provided here is the only UEFI GOP rom working for me so far.

You are right. You need to dissamble 6670.efi and search for your card (6739). I have ida pro installed, but I don't know what options I need to select when open 6670.efi to dissamble ok.

I dissamble 6670.efi with idapro 64 bits too and couldn't see your device ID (6739).

If you need more efi roms, I found a theread where you can download a file of 25mb 7zipped (under ~660mb unzipped) and in the post, you can see in first spoiler, all vBIOSes which includes strings EFI and GOP.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios/150#post_20490992

It's a hard job, but you can search for that roms, dissamble with ida pro and search for your card.

I think that problem is not hd6450.efi, because you add to your first 64k of your original bios rom the gop, at end of first 64k bios, that is empty originally. You only change in first 64k of your original rom a toggle that makes it see a UEFI GOP partition in the bios, like you can see in:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios/120#post_20172963

and in the next explication that I'm going to post in a moment...

So I think that problem is your original bios, not hd6450.efi, because i'm working with your modded v4 bios, that is not checksum corrected and i can't find in techpower a rom identical like yours. I found  that:

post-1341270-0-07785500-1408383397_thumb.png

First, second and number 9 (that are in red) have yours version efi and yours date of compile, but have minimal difference in hex editor that yours, like i say you yesterday...

I think that is because you modify voltages or speed or is not checksum ok, like you can see here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1395490/ati-hd-7950-7970-bios-mod-thread#post_20067187

So, can you upload your original bios without mod or say me the exact model?

Bye, tedascuen

• Like 1

@tedascuen

Sorry to make you confused. This is the bios I used now and for the future:

post-957641-0-37575400-1408385169_thumb.jpg

The second one in your picture.

(Actually the three bios are working in the same way, as I've tried these three ones long time ago before this topic opened.)

I found out that V4 can't correct checksum well. So after roms been created by V4, I put them to "HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta" in order to correct checksum and see if UEFI GOP is active.

Well,  I'm going to explain how to manually modify your bios with an hex editor.

I found that thread:

I copy the text from that post here:

For anyone that wants to take over though please do, just check the before and after bios in the thread for how I did it
Basically hex edit the bios
At the beginning of the bios around 00000220 (every bios different) you will see at the right: PCIR € € AMD ATOMBIOS
So in hex the € is 80, change the second €/80 to 00
This toggle makes it see a UEFI Gop partition in the bios, 80 is no gop 00 if gop
Then scroll down to 00010000
This is where gop bios starts, copy and paste a gop bios from a working rom into here
Then the difficult bit is getting a gop bios and normal bios that are compatible, this is the main problem we have here, either it works or it don't and then there is the case of clocks and voltages being the same and this is a problem
So although it is possible to add gop its not 100% perfect until someone can perfect this process
For now I suggest just flashing 1 of the working gop bios in first post which is supplied by a gpu manufacture is the best option. There is a few to choose from, for most the PowerColor seems to work very well!

So start.

First i use, like in other methods, gpu-z to know my device-id. Then search in dissambled hd6450.efi to view that my card is supported...

We need an hex editor. I use HxD, that you can download from:

http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

There is an instalable version and a portable version. I use spanish portable version, so images are with program in spanish.

We open HxD and load or bios, in my case, Asus.HD5450.1024.121202.rom

post-1341270-0-28788700-1408385342_thumb.png

Now, around 00000200 (every bios is different) you will see at the right: PCIR € € ATI ATOMBIOS. In my case is from 000001E0 to 00000200

post-1341270-0-77944200-1408386678_thumb.png

So change the second € from 80 (in hex):

post-1341270-0-56464600-1408386833_thumb.png

to 00:

post-1341270-0-66911000-1408387016_thumb.png

Now, open my bart.rom that you can dowload from:

bart.zip

You see something like this:

post-1341270-0-23923300-1408387324_thumb.png

Select Bart.rom and press CTRL+E for select block from 10000 to 1FFFF

post-1341270-0-23402300-1408387453.png

Copy block selected with CTRL+C

post-1341270-0-25587700-1408387560_thumb.png

Select your bios and press CTRL+E to select block from 10000 to 1FFFF

Then paste in that block selected with CTRL+V

post-1341270-0-97601900-1408387793_thumb.png

Now, you can close bart.rom

Save that new bios with another name, in example: Asus.HD5450.1024.121202modded.rom

Flash with winflash.

The problem with this method is that checksum is different and i don't know how fix.

I see in http://www.overclock.net/t/1395490/ati-hd-7950-7970-bios-mod-thread#post_20067187 that:

Checksum
For those not familiar with this each bios file has a checksum value and the file knows it and some motherboards check for it. Save an original copy of your file then check the value and save the value to a file. There are few places to change a value

See attached file...

Bios rom i edit between these to correct value you can also if you need too edit the date avoid editing the break between the FF FF in the bottom it does not seem to like that like the wife. Anyways before you edit under your editor its usually under analysis click and generate checksum enter value in you hex or decimal depending you what you use. I use check sum 8-64 depending on the amount edited it gives the same number either way. You can only add not subtract a value hence the reason why I erase IBM or the date avoid the coded string if possible. Once it is edited back to the normal value it will flash on the card without having to force the flash and will work on any motherboard. Just like some old gpu's.... Takes me back.

But I don't understand how to fix checksum...

I try to flash my modded bios withouth cheksum fix in my card and it's working ok.

@tedascuen

Sorry to make you confused. This is the bios I used now and for the future:

attachicon.gifTechpowerup EAH6850.jpg

The second one in your picture.

(Actually the three bios are working in the same way, as I've tried these three ones long time ago before this topic opened.)

I found out that V4 can't correct checksum well, so after roms been created by V4 I put them to "HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool Beta" in order to correct checksum and see if UEFI GOP is active.

That's rom with 2 difference that i say you if i compare with hex editor.

This is first difference:

post-1341270-0-38309600-1408390624_thumb.png

Bart.rom is your rom that you upload in post 55

That is normal because is the toggle that make it see a UEFI GOP partition in the bios, 80 is no GOP, 00 is GOP.

This is second difference:

post-1341270-0-28734100-1408390886_thumb.png

I think that is not important, because is the end of the EFI bios, first 64k, but i'm not sure if is important.

From 10000 to 1FFFF the roms are obviously different because bart.rom has uefi gop added and the other one not.

post-1341270-0-54214000-1408389625_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

@tedascuen

I know everything your tried to explain here, as I've already checked the difference between the original rom (without GOP) and the patched rom (with GOP) by HexEdit after I got my rom output from HD7XX UEFI Patch Tool.

The reminding problem now is that why the 6450 GOP is the only rom works for me while others don't work.

The reminding problem now is that why the 6450 GOP is the only rom works for me while others don't work.

I'm working on that.

I'm collecting all bios with uefi gop or uefi ready from vga bios collection (file 7ziped of 25mb) to extract efi files and dissamble with ida pro.

If i find any bios that support your card, i tell you...

Regards, tedascuen

• Like 2