[Work in Progress] - New Hackintosh (Asus Z97+GTX760) Dual Boot Mavericks+Win8.1

Imothep77

20 posts in this topic

Team,

This will be my 2nd Hackintosh project and I hope (no I'm sure!) I'll get help from masters/gurus, over here.

I bought myself the following PC with the objective to get a fully working dual boot (Mavericks + Windows 8.1) machine.

• Asus Z97 Deluxe
  • Intel Core i7 4770K
  • Asus Geforce GTX 760 Direct CU II OC
  • Corsair Vengence 2x8Go
  • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256Go

This topic will hopefully become a guide for people with similar hardware but I'm actually starting from scratch here and already have some issues.

First thing first:

From the different forums I read before using my credit card, all of those seem compatible to build my Hackintosh except for the Z97 board for which I found no clear answer on that aspect, I hope I did not make a mistake.

I created my Mavericks 10.9.4 USB installer from a VMWare using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2019599

Unfortunately, and despite having configured my BIOS Security options properly, I'm getting a kernel panic after launching the install from Clover...

Tried all possible bootflag combinations, nothing works...

Can someone please help?

• Like 1

Team,

This will be my 2nd Hackintosh project and I hope (no I'm sure!) I'll get help from masters/gurus, over here.

I bought myself the following PC with the objective to get a fully working dual boot (Mavericks + Windows 8.1) machine.

• Asus Z97 Deluxe
  • Intel Core i7 4770K
  • Asus Geforce GTX 760 Direct CU II OC
  • Corsair Vengence 2x8Go
  • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256Go

This topic will hopefully become a guide for people with similar hardware but I'm actually starting from scratch here and already have some issues.

First thing first:

From the different forums I read before using my credit card, all of those seem compatible to build my Hackintosh except for the Z97 board for which I found no clear answer on that aspect, I hope I did not make a mistake.

I created my Mavericks 10.9.4 USB installer from a VMWare using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2019599

Unfortunately, and despite having configured my BIOS Security options properly, I'm getting a kernel panic after launching the install from Clover...

Tried all possible bootflag combinations, nothing works...

Can someone please help?

Try deleting all of the graphics kext files from your installed hard drive. 

• 5 weeks later...

Guys,

I have started from scratch using this guide:

[ NooBs Guide ] How to install OS X Mavericks from scratch in progress    

I have created a GPT 1 partition Ext4 journaled USB drive.

I used Disk Maker to create my OSX 10.9.4 Install - program said it was successful.

I installed Clover using the options for UEFI as mentioned in the above post.

Clover launches well when I boot from the stick, but then I get nothing when choosing to start the OSX Install launcher...

EDIT: Have also used the "sudo /Applications / Install"... command line to copy again the installer on the stick, this is not working.

Can someone tell what I'm doing wrong this time?

Thanks

Team,

My objective is to install a dual boot with windows 8.1.

I read many times that for dual boot on newest UEFI motherboards, Clover was the best boot loader and that it needed to be used on a GUID partitioned disk should Windows 8.1 be installed in parallel.

I've been tearing my hair since yesterday, and whatever BIOS setting I'm changing on my Asus Z97 deluxe, I am not able to get the OSX installer to launch.

Clover is loaded fine but when I choose boot Install OSX, I get... nothing...

Please help me.

Re;  Imothep77

I have the exact problem like yours, when i got my Acer ATC-605.

Old graphic ati6450, ati5450 black screen, will not boot.

F12 boot selection not working, always boot with win8.1

win7 installation:  unable to install.

After a lot of googles, Here what i found out.

The Best setting is:  

Compatibility Suport Mode  CSM set to Enable.  (this will allow old graphic card to boot) 

Secure Boot:      Set to Other OS  (this will allow other UEFI hard drive to boot)

Use Clover with EFI settings  (2795 lasted ok, 28xx have problem last tested)

Use Rufus.exe to create win7 usb installer ( if your still using windows 7, this will create Win7 in UEFI mode)

Windows 8.1, when boot with UEFI-prefix CD/DVDrom will install in UEFI mode. (when boot with dvd-drive without UEFI prefix, will give error: unable to install)

Choose Win8.1 as first HD (it can boot win8.1 to desktop in less than 10 seconds),  use F12 to boot OSX.

No Other OS should be in legacy mode.

This are the settings, i used and working.

if Secure boot when set up OTHERS,  you cannot boot EFI-USB installer or any EFI drive, then ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE NONSENSE.

you must provide more info there, mate.

in order to dual boot with win 8 you must create 2 partitions formatted as hfs+ and install os x in the first one. then install clover in the efi partition after format it as fat32. then boot again and add clover as a efi boot option. after that install win.

here is a guide that can help you out:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3405

The Guide was very old,  UEFI settings and standard are loose. (guide is not  generic applicable to newer PC.

Clover default will  create msdos partition for EFI partition,  unless you change it yourself.

Also,  if is better to have 2 drives than 1.

Reason, you may not be able to use Win8.1 fast boot feature.

Also,  you may need FakeSmc on /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9 Even if you have it in SLE already.

Some Clover Version, will reboot on all other options (except Single user and Verbose Mode).

try boot clover in verbs mode.

How many people know, the following from the guide

diskpart
list disk
select disk X (replace X by the pen drive number)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign
exit

If one know, what the above is, He do not need to ask question here!

Many many years ago, dd command is a standard used to copy and backup floppy disk.

dd is still used by linux people to copy MBR, EFI partitons,

How many people, knows that.

Do not mean to have disagreement with a fellow member!

I am old and cranky programmer (retired a long time ago)

Give you an idea, how old!

My first program was created on a computer (top of the line at that time)  PDP8

my first program was saved on a paper tape with holes on it.

I was never into cobol, the following os i was working on:  IBM360/370 DG Digital CP/M IBM-dos, msdos, windows 3.1

Mini-computer os:  BSD-UNIX,  Original QNX,  Quantel, SCO-unix, Micos .

Languages:  C, basic & fortran.

Thank guys for your answers.

For the moment, I'm only trying to get Mavericks install to launch. One sub-project at a time, I will get to the dual boot later.

I figured out whatever BIOS setting I put, I'm not able to get a GUID-partitioned USB to work properly. Whatever option I select, I'm stuck in Clover. So I reverted back to the good old MBR system with 2 partitions and installed clover on the first FAT32-formatted one. It's now working better, the installer now starts running but I'm stuck again : whatever boot option I choose (verbose all the time), I get more or less text but it never boots the Installer up to the Apple grey screen.... I cannot see from verbose where the error stands it just freezes at some point.

I followed several guides with no luck... I removed my discrete graphics card, put it back, only left my destination HDD, setup different BIOS options, nothing.... It was less difficult to get through that part on my Dell laptop....

The "best" I'm having is by using the EFI folder provided in this post which seems to use similar hardware...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300293-report-asus-z97i-plus-gtx-770-mavericks-1094/

I don't think i should post link to other site.

*** Some one claim, needed to update bios to 1304?   ***

This is your downloaded zip

Clover EFI installer log - Wed Aug  6 03:05:17 PDT 2014

Installer version: v2k r2795 EFI 

kexts/10.9

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext   // may not needed, remove this for test

bcm4352.kext  // do'nt seem to match your motherboard, remove it and install this, after completed installation

BTFirmwareUploader.kext   // Same as above

EvOreboot.kext            // Only if you cannot shutdown/reboot (remove it)

FakeSMC.kext              //  may or may not need nullcpupower kext, try without it first

GenericUSBXHCI.kext       // NEC chip only, remove this, intel usb3 should have natively supported (or use USB 2.0 port to install)

IONetworkingFamily.kext   // no idea what is in it , remove it, install AppleIntelE1000e later (goolge kext for it)

(A)  ***  Try with *****

FakeSMC.kext only

config.plist

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>nvda_drv=1</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>le_mac</string>

<key>Legacy</key>

<string>PBR</string>

<key>Log</key>

<true/>

<key>Secure</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>5</integer>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<false/>

(B) ** without arguments nvdia_drv=1, remove Nvidia Card and install with Intel4600 only (fix that after installation)

**    may need to inject intel (to True), i think 10.9.4 (4600 will be ok, 10.9.0 may not)

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>Inject</key>

<dict>

<key>ATI</key>

<false/>

<key>Intel</key>

<false/>

<key>NVidia</key>

<false/>

</dict>

Please Post (type the last 10 lines on boot) Boot Screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Team,

Thanks to a mate on the chat, called midi, I managed to get the whole thing to work now.

Everything perfectly working:

Power management & Sleep,

Wifi, Ethernet & Bluetooth

Full res on my 27" Iiyama screen

Sound - that was hell to resolve but got it working !!

The only think no working, I can live without it: Facebook & iMessage... despite everything I tried, I am not allowed to log in with my Apple ID.

Thank you all for your support.

I am know working on a report of what I did to get the whole working and will zip my EFI folder & share for those with similar configuration.