HP Z400 Running (fine) Mavericks

PPCnostalgic

50 posts in this topic

To create an installer that will just "see" your internal SATA drive(s), use Kextwizard and install the kext MacUser2525 attached into your USB installer, choose your USB installer as target disk and NOT your internal drive.

@Blaggah Wich BIOS version have you on your Z400?

You don't need the PCIRootUID=0 option: 0 is default value. You boot without cache, which slows down startup, why don't you try and manually rebuild the cache to see where the process may actually/eventually fail so that you can fix it?

With Mavericks, use Terminal commands:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

and look for any eventual error message.

If i don't use the PCIRootUID=0, I don't get full graphics acceleration. My graphics card is the nvidia Quadro FX 3800 that these workstations usually ship with.

To create an installer that will just "see" your internal SATA drive(s), use Kextwizard and install the kext MacUser2525 attached into your USB installer, choose your USB installer as target disk and NOT your internal drive.

@Blaggah Wich BIOS version have you on your Z400?

Alright, I will do that and my bios version is v3.07.

Try this .kext for the SATA controller I found, use -f to force the reloading of all .kext if you do not do the touch commands already mentioned.

Thank you, this kext fixed my issue with non-showing hard drive under disk utility and to my surprise, it seemed to have fixed my issue with the still waiting for root device hang error as well. I just reinstalled after placing the kext above inside my Extra folder in the USB Installer, and went smoothly. Did the update to 10.9.5 and booted up fine with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0. Without PCIRootUID=0 I don't get full graphics acceleration.  Now my next tackle is to get sound to work. I'm gonna have to use VoodooHDA.kext huh?

If you absolutely require to manually set the PCI root UID to 0 to be able to obtain graphics acceleration, I'd check what the value is set to in the BIOS DSDT. You can easily patch that and avoid the option.

How do I change that Herve? Which app can i use to edit the dsdt?

About Graphic Acceleration, did you try Nvidia Web Driver instead of Mac OS X default?

No, i never really use those honestly. Am i missing something?  My sound works just fine now after rebooting. Thank you.  I'm trying to see if i could get iMessage and FaceTime to work now. Any pointers?

That's fine brethren, thanks a lot for all your help though.  BTW, are you good with compiling and sorting DSDT's? The reason I asked is because i have this SFF hp dx7500 which I'm trying to get sleep/wake to work on. I've already managed to get mavericks installed on it but haven't used it.

Thank you, this kext fixed my issue with non-showing hard drive under disk utility and to my surprise, it seemed to have fixed my issue with the still waiting for root device hang error as well. I just reinstalled after placing the kext above inside my Extra folder in the USB Installer, and went smoothly. Did the update to 10.9.5 and booted up fine with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0. Without PCIRootUID=0 I don't get full graphics acceleration.  Now my next tackle is to get sound to work. I'm gonna have to use VoodooHDA.kext huh?

How do I change that Herve? Which app can i use to edit the dsdt?

ALC262 for the sound then yes I have no speakers connected but it loaded my audio from it that I have installed in my other hack I cloned to boot with. Root device waiting needs RAID+ AHCI enabled in BIOS to get by it does not need the .kext for that I just installed it am going to reboot to see if it works here. Strangely enough the LSI SAS controller works or at the least is loaded I can see, may have to switch the cables around to see if that makes it use the HD I installed windows/ubuntu on. I'll be damned firewire works as well now I notice in the boot messages ntfs driver there too so I have them ports now.

ALC262 for the sound then yes I have no speakers connected but it loaded my audio from it that I have installed in my other hack I cloned to boot with. Root device waiting needs RAID+ AHCI enabled in BIOS to get by it does not need the .kext for that I just installed it am going to reboot to see if it works here. Strangely enough the LSI SAS controller works or at the least is loaded I can see, may have to switch the cables around to see if that makes it use the HD I installed windows/ubuntu on. I'll be damned firewire works as well now I notice in the boot messages ntfs driver there too so I have them ports now.

I've got sound working with my voodoo kext, no need to experiment with ALC262 kext. I'll probably try after I clone the hard drive.  One issue I'm running into guys, is I'm trying to install an SSD on the Z400 but Can't seem to find a proper way to have it fully secured. Any ideas?

Well, now you've got a nearly-fullworking system anyway. How about your cpu temps? In the attached file you can see mine when idle, the last two on the right are the GPU freq/core temp

Looks very tempting man. Which app is that? You have the hexacore cpu huh? I have the W350 clocks at 3.01ghz. I was thinking about getting a 6 core cpu as well but they're a little too pricey for me.

I've got sound working with my voodoo kext, no need to experiment with ALC262 kext. I'll probably try after I clone the hard drive.  One issue I'm running into guys, is I'm trying to install an SSD on the Z400 but Can't seem to find a proper way to have it fully secured. Any ideas?

Looks very tempting man. Which app is that? You have the hexacore cpu huh? I have the W350 clocks at 3.01ghz. I was thinking about getting a 6 core cpu as well but they're a little too pricey for me.

You can get one of the X???? lower clocked ones for around $100ish on Ebay since you have a version 3 BIOS version 1 will not support 6 cores, the second qpi does not matter in single board. I have been having pile of fun installed the legacy and everything went to hell nothing but waiting for root device now no matter what I try even with it uninstalled like it booted with the first and only time makes no sense.

You can get one of the X???? lower clocked ones for around $100ish on Ebay since you have a version 3 BIOS version 1 will not support 6 cores, the second qpi does not matter in single board. I have been having pile of fun installed the legacy and everything went to hell nothing but waiting for root device now no matter what I try even with it uninstalled like it booted with the first and only time makes no sense.

Hmmm, interesting. I was wondering, do those workstations only work with ECC Ram? Because mine came with 4x1gb of ddr3 ecc rams. But I have some other non ECC rams laying around and was wondering if it'll support them.  

Hmmm, interesting. I was wondering, do those workstations only work with ECC Ram? Because mine came with 4x1gb of ddr3 ecc rams. But I have some other non ECC rams laying around and was wondering if it'll support them.  

Worth a try I have read of people using non-ecc in a mac pro so it is possible probable worst case non-booting system until you put the ecc back..

I have an Intel SSD 160Gb as primary drive on my Z400, using an adapter 2,5" to 3,5" bracket, you can find it on eBay.

The app I'm using to monitor my hardware is iStatMenus

My cpu is a Xeon X5670, payed 80 British Pounds (used) on the UK eBay. This one clocks @2,93 an goes up to 3,33Ghz in turbo mode, for the price I payed I couldn't expect more.....it works like a champ.

post-1349199-0-44923100-1433597242_thumb.png

Oh yeah, that's right. I completely forgot about iStat Menus.  For now, I have my 128gb Sandisk SSD velcroed to the back of my other 3.5" hard drive until I get a converter for it.

Just let it lay there they usually have no exposed parts so it will do no harm, you save on the increased temperatures that way.

Worth a try I have read of people using non-ecc in a mac pro so it is possible probable worst case non-booting system until you put the ecc back..

I now have 14gb DDR3 Non ECC Rams on my system. I have one stick of 4GB and the rest are 2GB modules.  Tell me this, I have a stick of 4GB server ram but it won't take that. I always thought that ECC Rams are necessarily server rams and vice versa. Please shed some light. 

If you actually use a patched DSDT.aml file, you can edit it using an editor tool such as DSDTEditor or convert the compiled .aml to source .dsl that can be edited through any text editor such as TextEdit.

If you don't use any patched DSDT file, you can extract it from BIOS through tools such as DSDT editor or Chameleon Wizard.

Thanks Herve, you're very helpful.

Eversince I upgraded to an SSD, my Mavericks now boot up within 5 seconds from apple logo to login screen. I've never seen that before in my whole experience with Hackintoshes. And I've had a whole lot.. Trust me.

I have an Intel SSD 160Gb as primary drive on my Z400, using an adapter 2,5" to 3,5" bracket, you can find it on eBay.

The app I'm using to monitor my hardware is iStatMenus

My cpu is a Xeon X5670, payed 80 British Pounds (used) on the UK eBay. This one clocks @2,93 an goes up to 3,33Ghz in turbo mode, for the price I payed I couldn't expect more.....it works like a champ.

Yeah, I see a couple on Ebay for around $100-150. I'll probalby consider once I get to put my machine to use a whole lot. I'm just really happy I get a stable machine outta this workstation.  I plan on installing windows 10 when it's available, migrating from windows 7. 

I now have 14gb DDR3 Non ECC Rams on my system. I have one stick of 4GB and the rest are 2GB modules.  Tell me this, I have a stick of 4GB server ram but it won't take that. I always thought that ECC Rams are necessarily server rams and vice versa. Please shed some light. 

Ram and its support is a strange thing sometimes, it depends on how the BIOS is set to support it. With server ram you have off the top of my head the ecc with it comes the plain type, the registered and the buffered plus registered with probably more I don't know about. Then you have the single rank, dual and not sure if they have thrown in a quad for good measure to add to the confusion. Now you cannot mix any of those types together they all have to match to work together. You need to be damn careful when buying it and stick to the manufactures supported list as that is what they guarantee to have supported in the BIOS for them different types.  For these machines the part numbers to look are 500203-061 for 4gb modules and 500202-061 for 2gb the 4s look like they are going for around 15-20 a stick never really tracked the 2s but I would think less. I would check the support documents on the HP site to be sure for your machine though.

Good input MacUser man, I'll look into them.

------UPDATE

It's been a while since I posted on here. After my success with my z400, I was able to fine a 6 core cpu and now running beautifully with El Capitan. I've yet to do the dual or triple boot yet. the cpu I purchased was the x5650.  What's going on guys? MacUser2525? Hervé?  PPCnostalgic?