• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hey Hervè, how are you? So long but I want to resurrect this topic, mainly to give you another BIG thank you for your support. Well, the kext(s) you posted they DO work as long as I keep AppleIntelCpuPowerManagementKext AWAY from my S/L/E. I discovered it only yesterday..... Ok, so I deleted that Kext and tried your SSDT and modified FakeSMC Plugins and I can see my machine going through 3 CPU states: 1,60 - 3,33 - 3,47Ghz depending on my workload, there are only 3 states probably because I'm under Mac Pro 5,1 SMBIOS, I've read Mac Pro 3.1 allows more states. Although turbo boost is still @3,46Ghz (for all 6 cores of my Xeon W3680) it's a good step forward. My bootflag DropSSDT=Yes (working) and Generate P-C States doesn't change anything both the instances "yes" or "not" but speed stepping works anyway. Do you think I'd better tweaking my generated SSDT a little more (my goal is to reach 4,00Ghz as max turbo boost speed, as I can do running Windows with Intel XTU utility)? Again thank you very much for your support.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

You probably need to patch the AICPUPM kext as per "i" Core CPUs, it depends on the generation. But I guess you would find the parallel between your Xeon Generation and it's desktop cousins. This would give you better P states, i.e. better SpeedStepping than your somehow limited 3 states.

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Ok, is there a link where I can read about AICPUPM kext editing?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

There must be dozens. Use the search facility.

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hi Hervé. Hope you're fine and I wish you a happy new year;-) Well I'm on my 2nd Hackintosh build, this time with a genuine G5 case...... lot of work for case ATX conversion!! Ok, the machine is running fine, mobo is a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 and the cpu Xeon W3680 (yes I'm a LGA1366 fanatic). Just for my curiosity why Mac OS X Mavericks won't boot (or at most it hangs within a minute at Finder) if I set CPU multipliers higher than 29? The CPU is unlocked. Hey, not a deal breaker but I'm trying to find out the culprit, is a Mac OS X limitation?

Thank you in advance.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

No idea, I'd stick to native CPU power management if possible.

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I've finally managed it to work by increasing the Cpu Vcore voltage to 1,325v and now it boots fine. I can use native AICPUPM because I have my DSDT Extra folder. I can see when using NullCPUPM temps are about 10 degrees lower, of course this instance I get no speed steps, than using AICPUPM but I think Fake Smc aren't so accurate in reporting temps. Checked cpu temp in the Bios and it's remarkably lower (10 degrees C), the same running Win7 at same Cpu Clock, CoreTemp reports lower temp than Mac OS. I think I'll leave it as is. Again thank you for your support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy