HP Z400 Running (fine) Mavericks

PPCnostalgic

50 posts in this topic

Hi there. Installed Mavericks 10.9.3 on my HP Z400 Xeon W3680 Hexa-Core, stable and fast :) The machine is triple boot capable Mac OS X - Linux - Win7Pro on separate SSD drives. The Cpu is a Xeon W3680@3,33Ghz and turbo boost multiplier is unlocked, in fact when running Windows I can easily turbo boost all 6 cores to 4Ghz (multiplier(s) = x30) without issues using Intel XTU utility, scoring over 17000 with Geekbench 2  64bit mode. Can someone help me to enable, if possible, such a turbo boost frequency in OS X Mavericks as well? I've googled a lot about this topic but I'm still looking for an answer.

Thank you for reading this post and if someone needs help to install Mavericks on HP Z400 I'm here to help.

I'm going to try your suggestion.... I installed Mavericks using Chimera 2.2 ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.3) and CPU Power Management is the original AppleICPM, no need for NullCpuPowerManagement because the machine works fine. SMBIOS is Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010 Mac Pro Hexa-Core had the same CPU Intel Xeon W3680), memory is DDR3 1333 ECC 6x2Gb because my MB has 6 slots. BTW I put your SSDT.aml in my Extra folder and the system loads it and allows 2 speed steps: 2,13 and 3,33Ghz but doesn't enable turbo boost.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Hervè, how are you? So long but I want to resurrect this topic, mainly to give you another BIG thank you for your support. Well, the kext(s) you posted they DO work as long as I keep AppleIntelCpuPowerManagementKext AWAY from my S/L/E. I discovered it only yesterday..... Ok, so I deleted that Kext and tried your SSDT and modified FakeSMC Plugins and I can see my machine going through 3 CPU states: 1,60 - 3,33 - 3,47Ghz depending on my workload, there are only 3 states probably because I'm under Mac Pro 5,1 SMBIOS, I've read Mac Pro 3.1 allows more states. Although turbo boost is still @3,46Ghz (for all 6 cores of my Xeon W3680) it's a good step forward. My bootflag DropSSDT=Yes (working) and Generate P-C States doesn't change anything both the instances "yes" or "not" but speed stepping works anyway. Do you think I'd better tweaking my generated SSDT a little more (my goal is to reach 4,00Ghz as max turbo boost speed, as I can do running Windows with Intel XTU utility)? Again thank you very much for your support.

• 5 months later...

Hi Hervé. Hope you're fine and I wish you a happy new year;-) Well I'm on my 2nd Hackintosh build, this time with a genuine G5 case...... lot of work for case ATX conversion!! Ok, the machine is running fine, mobo is a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 and the cpu Xeon W3680 (yes I'm a LGA1366 fanatic). Just for my curiosity why Mac OS X Mavericks won't boot (or at most it hangs within a minute at Finder) if I set CPU multipliers higher than 29? The CPU is unlocked. Hey, not a deal breaker but I'm trying to find out the culprit, is a Mac OS X limitation?

Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally managed it to work by increasing the Cpu Vcore voltage to 1,325v and now it boots fine. I can use native AICPUPM because I have my DSDT Extra folder. I can see when using NullCPUPM temps are about 10 degrees lower, of course this instance I get no speed steps, than using AICPUPM but I think Fake Smc aren't so accurate in reporting temps. Checked cpu temp in the Bios and it's remarkably lower (10 degrees C), the same running Win7 at same Cpu Clock, CoreTemp reports lower temp than Mac OS. I think I'll leave it as is. Again thank you for your support.

• 2 months later...

Hello PPCnostalgic  and Hervé.

How are you? I hope very well.
I have a pc hp z400 workstation same as PPCnostalgic and I would install macosx Maveriks 10.9.x
I tried to download all the files (FakeSMC.kext, Modified FakeSMC.kext, SSDT.aml, org.chameleon.boot etc...)   attached to discussion, but you can not download them because they are not found.
I would appreciate it if I indicated a link to download all the files attached, or if one of you kindly I can send them by email.

I would also need the bios settings (screenshot if possible) and the settings of the hard disk.

I have a Nvidia gtx 260 and / or Nvidia gtx 660. which settings should I use for these graphics cards.
Thank you in advance
and thank you for reading this post.

I wait your news.

• 1 month later...

I just got myself one of those z400 workstations, and I'd like to get Mavericks installed on mine.  Is there a DSDT laying around somewhere for it in order to get sleep/wake to work?  That's all I really care about on my hackintoshes. 

Hi Blaggah. On my Z400 sleep--wake they both work without a DSDT and using  UseKernelCache=No

I've got a DSDT and by placing it into my "extra" folder the machine cpu it runs much cooler (about 15 degrees C° less), I can use UseKernelCache=Yes and it boots up in notime, but this way sleeep-wake don't work :-(

BTW I'm running Mavericks with DSDT anyway, I don't need sleep or wake.

Of course, I'll send it to you.

Perhaps you could post it here so all can see it if they wanted to. I know I would not mind taking a look at it I have z800 arriving tomorrow I'm sure I could get a few pointers from the changes made in yours as they apply to a 1366 BIOS.

Thank you so much man. I didn't get a chance to get started on it but I will be going to embark on it now after I put the dsdt in my usb installer of mavericks.  BTW, do you have facetime, iMessage working?

Alright, i faced the the non-showing hard drive in disk utility so I installed using a sata usb adapter and everything went fine. I then updated to 10.9.5 and sleep worked but upon wake i had the spinning wheel. I then connected the hard drive to the computer this time and after i used my bootflags: -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseKernelCache=No PCIRootUID=0, i face the still waiting for root device hang error.  What's the solution?

Alright, i faced the the non-showing hard drive in disk utility so I installed using a sata usb adapter and everything went fine. I then updated to 10.9.5 and sleep worked but upon wake i had the spinning wheel. I then connected the hard drive to the computer this time and after i used my bootflags: -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseKernelCache=No PCIRootUID=0, i face the still waiting for root device hang error.  What's the solution?

Try this .kext for the SATA controller I found, use -f to force the reloading of all .kext if you do not do the touch commands already mentioned.

LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext.zip