Dual GPU's Help

zipo24

4 posts in this topic

hi im looking into buying a AMD r9 295x2 and yes i can afford it, how well does dual gpus work under OS X im asking because i don't know considering the new mac pro runs the dual fire pro d700 and d500 gpus do you think compatibility is better than before when using mavericks  

hi im looking into buying a AMD r9 295x2 and yes i can afford it, how well does dual gpus work under OS X im asking because i don't know considering the new mac pro runs the dual fire pro d700 and d500 gpus do you think compatibility is better than before when using mavericks  

I have a Radeon 7990 and in short, it does not work in mac os due to the crossfire link between the two gpu's on the card. As there is no way of disabling the crossfire link that I can find, Mac OS only ever picks it up as a 3mb graphics card that only slows your system down. From the best of my knowledge, this crossfire link would also prevent the R9 295x2 from working I'm just not willing to fork out the hefty amount to just trial a card that probably won't work in OSX. Otherwise I would not hesitate to simply buy two of them. If you want dual graphics, buy two of the R9 290 X or r9 290 and run mac os 10.10 to get them working. I'm running dual 7970's in my system that I've had for over a year and they do the trick while I save up for 3 of the much nicer R9 290s. The two GPUs in the new mac pro run as two separate cards in the system as mac os does not support (or need to support) crossfire. There has recently been a very nice update to the beta of 10.10  and it seems to be running nice and stable on my machine. 

• Like 1

anyway i am buying it for 4k gaming and for my eye infinity setup and for os 10 i will test it out too see if it will work and it might considering two separate r9 290 or 290x doesn't require a crossfire bridge too run them in crossfire mode