Having an install issue....advice needed please

63 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have created a Mavericks Niresh USB stick successfully. My PC has both an internal and external SATA drive. I wish to install Mavericks on the external drive which is also running Windows 7. On this drive I shrunk the volume, creating a 100GB space which has been formatted and made active ready to install Mavericks on to.

When I boot from the USB stick and select niresh mavericks to install I get the usual confirmation of language, etc. but the problem is that it  does not see the drive I want to install on to. Only my main, internal drive.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thanks. I should add that I want a dual boot system. We have two Mac's in the house so don't mind having to configure the USB on one of them. The issue I found before is that Mavericks didn't detect the external SATA drive and this is what has caused me not to be able to install it...so far.

Hello

Just see if AHCI is enabled in Bios, if yes

Try use this kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/127611-appleviaata-over-4gb-ram-bug-solved-at-least-i-believe-so-jmicron-and-applenforceata-at-development/

But what i want mean is taht distro never will enable yo to have a hack running 100% everytime will be a problem... because this please download that image...

Put this kext in your usb bootable using transmac(windows app)

Boot with: -f -v

No I have IDE running not AHCI. I can't enable AHCI as this will affect my main internal HD.

This is becoming very complicated. I think I'll bow out and let you experts carry on. Too hard for me to understand. All I wanted really is Mavericks so that iMovie can take advantage of my PC's processing power for my daughter to use as her mac is so slow.

In an ideal world I'd like some simple instructions on what to do. I have a GB mobo (EX58-UD3R 1.0), an Nvidia GTX 770 GPU, 6GB ram, a 1TB internal SATA and a 500GB external SATA drive. Both drives have Windows 7. I want to install Mavericks on the second external SATA drive. I don't care if I don't have Windows anymore on this drive if that makes installing easier.

If your main installed operating system is windows then you can change to AHCI. You simply have to make a change in the registry first and then reboot and change the BIOS setting.

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Change the setting in your BIOS from IDE to AHCI and boot back into windows.

Any modern linux distro should pick up the change automatically.

Many thanks for that. I'll give that a go when I get home this evening. I tried macbreakers guide as well last night but after about a minute or so of installing I got a blank monitor which never came back!

it was the myhack guide I was using

Hello

Just see if AHCI is enabled in Bios, if yes

Try use this kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/127611-appleviaata-over-4gb-ram-bug-solved-at-least-i-believe-so-jmicron-and-applenforceata-at-development/

But what i want mean is taht distro never will enable yo to have a hack running 100% everytime will be a problem... because this please download that image...

Put this kext in your usb bootable using transmac(windows app)

Boot with: -f -v

So. I have created a USB stick following the myhack instructions. My PC has a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R R1.0 motherboard with 6GB ram. I have an internal and external sata drive both have W7 installed. I now have AHCI running. When I start from the USB stick and select install mavericks I get the apple logo and a timer. After about 30 seconds my monitors turn off. I have tried the bootflag options PciRoot=1 which didn't have any effect, I then tried GraphicsEnabler=No and that didn't have any affect either.

What else can I try now?

Hello

First thing my friend... i never saw this mackbreaker guide... idon't know about his guide procedence, so.. how i'll help you?

Please my friend, donwload that image i advice you to download...is 100% retail, you can make your own usb bootable with this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/
but this image is already made for us, just donwload, copy to usb stick and install OSX

Other... put your specs in signature... it's kind hard help you if i don't know what you use.

Hello

You need find a will in yourself.... if not, i'll be hard to help you...

Isn't hard... just donwload that image and install it... and put your hardware i here.

but the choice is yours

What image do I download? You pointed me to a web page with lots of software I need and it's very complicated for a newbie to understand. Especially if you are a PC guy and not Mac. Not sure what else to do now but thank you for your time.

I've added my system specs to my signature

Hello

My friend you need wish more this... seach is the key and perseverance too.... if you want have a hack running 99% you need wish this... i was just a PC guy too, but i seach and make many tests, in past, i make tests for 6 months and finally after all i got a hack running 99%

But don't worries, i sent to you a link to download...

Hello

My friend you need wish more this... seach is the key and perseverance too.... if you want have a hack running 99% you need wish this... i was just a PC guy too, but i seach and make many tests, in past, i make tests for 6 months and finally after all i got a hack running 99%

But don't worries, i sent to you a link to download...

I created the USB stick and it got to around 40% of installation and then I saw a lot of command line text and then the monitors went blank. I have 3 monitors connected to my GTX 770 GPU. Do you think this is causing the problem?

I've unplugged them and tried installing again but the same problem. I have also noticed that back in Windows 7 I get a BDOS 101 code which normally means I need to increase the Vcore voltage. I'm thinking perhaps that if the system is being stressed too much that this may cause the install to fail. I'm going to add a little more voltage to the CPU and try installing again. If it doesn't work are there any log files written on to the USB stick that could help diagnose what the problem is?

Hello

No... You really need unplug them, because gtx 770 donQt recognized them yet...

I have successfully installed but it has not detected my network card and therefore I don't have access to the internet. My card is a Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) if that helps. What can I do to get it working?

The other issue is that in order to boot into OSX I have to keep the USB stick in and select boot from OSX. Perhaps this is because there is a copy of Windows 7 on this HDD? I'm more concerned at the moment in getting the internet working though!

Cheers

Daz