What sort of SMBios ....

Beb_OSX

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I search for a long time now why I can only run Mavericks on a P8P67 with an iMac 12,2 SMBios ?

If I put a MacPro 4,1 or 5,1, I've got a "P.State Steppe error18 at step 2 in context 2 on CPU 1" and then a KP.

My spec : ASUS P8P67 modified bios, I5-2500K not overclocked, 8Go DDR3 Corsair Vengeance, Asus GT640.

By the way, i've update to 10.9.4 and, as 10.9.3, I've lost my second screen but can't resolved this without rollback to 10.9.2 nvidia kext !!!

cordially

Hello!

All credits go to Pikealpha fore the info.

Try to add your system board ID from SMBios in the infoplist of  AppleGraphicsControl.Kext/Contents/Plugings/AppleGraphicsDeviicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist as last line of the Configmap with the other models in this way:

<key>Mac-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</key>             
                <string>none</string>

Change xxxxxxx with your digits.

Download comboupdate 10 9.3 or 10.9.4, run the update, but before reboot get the mentioned kext from S/L/E, edit the info.plist and install it back with prefered kextutility to S/L/E and repair permissions. Everything should be fine again.

Apple has something changed in the nvidia gfx management.

Because of your cpu you should use a SandyBrigde SMBios. (Your used one has AMD gfx)

Have fun.

Thanks for your reply styrian, but what do you mean by board ID ? Is it the ID of my motherboard brand or something else ?

Can you tell me where I can find a SB SMBios and what is the difference with the others ?

Thanks again

It's the board ID of the Mac that uses the model identifier that you're using in your smbios.plist

a SB SMBIOS is the DMI data from a Mac that used a Sandy Bridge CPU. You can find mostly complete DMI data with google, reports posted to Linux bug report sites usually has all the good stuff.

Ok, I've understood in late !

Thanks for all, I'll try soon and give you report as soon as possible

a SB SMBIOS is the DMI data from a Mac that used a Sandy Bridge CPU. You can find mostly complete DMI data with google, reports posted to Linux bug report sites usually has all the good stuff.

How can I know what  kind of Mac use SB ? (Mac pro for example)

-> Power management failure.

I confirm, but when I put an iMac 12.2 SMBios, everything is OK. So why a Mac Pro 4.1 or 5.1 give a PM failure and not the iMac one ?

I've tried what Styrian write at the beginning and it works ........ for 1 time !!! the second boot give me another KP AICPUPM

I've seen in verbose mode that the nVidia's drivers was the Web drivers. Is that my problem ??

This is not my first install but it's always more problematic to update !!!

viva Insanelymac's forum ;-)

@ Pike R. Alpha

Do you think I can use something like this : http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/ ??

Is it only for info or is it the PM ? (Yes I'm french and some texts are not easy to understand)

thanks

How can I know what  kind of Mac use SB ? (Mac pro for example)

? Really ?

You can know by using the Internet, google and things. The World Wide Web is an excellent place to find this type of information.

There are sites like everymac that has list the specs of all Macs ever made. It's not going to say Haswell or Sandy Bridge but it'll list the CPU model number. Then you look up that model number at Intel's site or CPUFinder to see what architecture it is.

Tip: When looking for information in English, it helps to set Google to English instead of whatever your local language is.

Thanks a lot, you help me a lot !!!

By "what kind of Mac use SB" I meant "is there any other mac than MacBookPro or Mac mini or iMac that have SB ... Sorry for that !

Of course I can search on the web, I have a lot of informations due to long time spent on internet but every time I translated with google or whatever, the result was not explicit so I tried again and again to have something useful.

You're kindly but I'm not a noob !

I only want some help ....

I don't know off the top of my head which Macs use which CPU architecture and I don't know of any site that lists Macs by CPU architecture. I'm showing you how you can find this information for yourself, unfortunately there is no "easy way", you'll have to do a bit of work to get at the data you need.

Again: You can look up on everymac (it's a website) which CPU model was used in each available Mac model. It'll say for example Core i5-2600 (or whatever)

Then you can look up that particular CPU on Intel's website or other sites that have this type of information and see what architecture it is.

It's important to know that Chameleon Wizard is outdated, it no longer builds a complete smbios.plist for Chameleon.

Obviously the best and most up-to-date reference is the Chameleon source code, where you can see all the DMI data that can be injected:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/libsaio/smbios.c

And all boot flags: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/boot2/boot.h

(though I believe a few more boot/configuration flags are hidden in other parts of the source)

I think a SMBIOS plist should always be based, according to the actual hardware of your Hackintosh Machine. One can still easily identify with the good tool "Mactracker". 

I always wonder about the nonsense that a Hackintosh, which eg Core2Duo or i3 Intel processor in it, which is this set up as a Mac Pro.

ONLY a Mac Pro but has a Xeon processor, but not a Imac or Mac Pro or Mac mini. 

Then the user that is their hardware components appear completely wrong wonder under "about this Mac".

It's not like there's a big sign telling everyone that matching Mac model identifier to your particular chipset and CPU architecture actually matters.

The information is here, everywhere, but for some reason it's still one of the secrets of successfully setting up a compatible Hackintosh. The main issue here is that when you're new to this and start digging - you don't know what information is valid and important and what information is not - if you don't know what you're looking for, then you're not going to find it! :P

It's not about having System Profiler say "coolest, latest and most expensive Mac" like some users around here seem to think. 85% of matching model identifier and DMI data to your actual hardware is about having power management working correctly. This is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. Actually, today, it's the only thing left that is a bit of a puzzle. The rest is easy now, compared to the old days.

Yes, I said it. Get off my lawn.

Pinarek, I get what you're saying about Xeon CPUs it's a logical assumption and all but the fact is that MacPro3,1 is still one of the best model identifiers to use on AMD systems and older P4 systems where you have to use a Voodoo Kernel derivative and can't have native power management. Even for Core 2 Duo/P45 era systems it's preferred, because it's the most flexible and doesn't impose many limitations. iMac9,1 may look like a better match on paper, but in these cases it is not and that's something you learn with experience.

Z77 + Ivy Bridge should use iMac13,1 or 13,2 and then laugh all the way to the bank, or where ever they're going.

As for the rest, I don't know and I don't care until I need to install OS X on such hardware, and then I can find out because, thanks to this wonderful community, all of that information is here - somewhere!

• Like 2

The main issue here is that when you're new to this and start digging - you don't know what information is valid and important and what information is not - if you don't know what you're looking for, then you're not going to find it! :P

you're right

I've found on everymac that MacBookPro 8,1 has Sandy Bridge.

Finally do you think my problem is only in power management ? (because of the KP)

is there any way to solved this ? Or shall I let iMac SMBios and losing my second screen ?

Hello!

I would stay at the personality of an iMac 12, either on your used one or the one suggested by Rampagedev (iMac 12,2).

The board ID´s are:

iMac 12,1: Mac-942B5BF58194151B

iMac 12,2: Mac-942B59F58194171B

To inject the board ID of all the SmBios of real Mac devices, you should preferred use, are ones with AMD-Gfx and not nVidia gfx ones.

Run the combo system update to 9.3 or 9.4 (download it from apple) and run it again. At the end of the update, don´t reboot, copy the before by me mentioned kext to desktop and edit the plist. Install it back with your preferrred kext utility and repair permissions. Reboot by ignoring chaches.

The safest way to do an update process is, to download the comboupdates and run them on a system clone and get the clone after update running by making necessary corrections. Never run the automated software update on a Hackintosh, except it is know´n to be safe.

Create a Legacy AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext with the above mentioned kext and you never have to change this system kext from 10 9.3 up.

Have fun.

I've found on everymac that MacBookPro 8,1 has Sandy Bridge.

Good, but you should avoid using a laptop model identifier on a desktop machine, that will only complicate things.

Actually I'm not sure what the consequences would be exactly but obviously there is so much more regarding power management going on in a laptop that has nothing do do with a desktop.

I'd go with iMac12,2 as suggested by RampageDev, and follow the advice given by Styrian.

Sorry but I did exactly what you (all) told me :

- put a 12,2 smbios in Extra

- download and install combo update and before reboot

- inject board ID in kext

- install kext with kext utility (and repair permissions at the same time)

- reboot ignoring cache

But still the same error : if I put another smbios than 13,1 I got a KP (AICPUPM) :wallbash:

And with 13,1 Idon't have my 2 screens

:help:   I'm lost !

Hello!

Had you installed  NVDA Webdrivers before update?

Have fun.

Yes in fact I've installed it at the 10.9.3 update and lost my 2nd screen too, so I rollback to 10.9.2 nvidia kext (from a real iMac) and everything went ok

And now I don't want to rollback again : I'd like to solve my problem and not forgive.

My last try was creating a SSDT with PimentelX86 methode (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/), but no change.

any idea ?

Hello!

By installing the Nvidia webdrivers the NVDAStartupkext is patched by this drivers. You run this dirvers on an iMac personality with AMD graphics, for which these drivers are not made for. The Nvidia gfx management was changed by Apple with 10 9.3 update.

I think, that your installing the webdrivers has affected the gfx management and therefore the update does not work correctly.

I personally don´t see no advantage by installing the Webdrivers on an personality, for which they are not made for. Apple drivers are up to date. It is not Mickysoft, where you have to get the drivers directly from Nvidia.

If the webdrivers are a bit faster, they are not worth  the troubles to be installed on a faked iMac with working gfx.

For gfx performance junkies the better way is to upgrade the gfx card or inject with the bootloader an occed vbios.

I think, that you have to  remove the webdrivers, reinstall the unaltered drivers from S/L/E of your usbinstaller, repair permissions, reboot with ignoring caches and then run the process, I have written before.

Have fun.

• Like 1

I personally don´t see no advantage by installing the Webdrivers on an personality, for which they are not made for. Apple drivers are up to date. It is not Mickysoft, where you have to get the drivers directly from Nvidia.

Hello and thanks a lot for your explanations

You're right  : No need to update everytime (old M$oft reflex)

I'll try to remove web drivers and give you reports

Thanks again

Hi, back again.

I'm very, very pleased to report you that's a success !!!!!!

To recapitulate, I have :

- removed all NVDA kext in /S/L/E

- reinstall those of my USB installer (Mavericks 10.9) on /S/L/E

- add my ID in Info.plist in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext in AppleGraphicsControl.kext

- use KextUtility to install it

- put the "right" SMBios in /Extra

- check my org.chameleon.Boot (and delete some useless commands)

- boot with -v -f

- and finally see both of my screen light on !!!

Thanks you all for informations and for your help very useful

As styrian says : Have fun ;-)

• Like 1