GTS450 sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't.

Andrei GHERGHE

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

I can run Yosemite flawlessly on my old-ish C2D E8400, got sound working, ethernet, mouse/keyboard, etc. Booted from the first time.

BUT, there is one extremely annoying quirk. Sometimes, out of the blue, the GPU won't start, and my HDMI monitor reports no signal. The video card is a Geforce GTS 450. If it doesn't boot, the second time I boot it with PCIRootUID=0, and then it works. But the third time, with the SAME boot options, it won't work  :w00t:

I tried PCIRootUID=0/1, PCIURootUID=0/1, and loads of other options I found in the countless hours I spent Googling for solutions. If anything worked once, the second time it wouldn't work. I'm starting to suspect that somehow it isn't related to the boot flags...

I had the same problem in Mavericks, but couldn't fix it either.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrei.

EDIT: Sorry, posted in the installation area... Well, happens when booting from USB too, so I guess it's ok, in a way...

EDIT 2: Was able to boot without any flags at all... So the flags weren't doing anything.

Yosemite DP2. Same problem with my GT430. Putting GE=No in org.chameleonboot.plist sometimes works, sometimes works with GE=Yes as kernel flag and sometimes not at all.  Putting GE=Yes in org.chameleonboot.plist sometimes works, soemtimes works with GE=No as kernel flag and sometimes not at all. Sometimes work without any kernel flag  :(  :(

Maybe it's just an impression, but i remember it worked fine with the DP1

Any idea???

I had the same problem with 8600GT solved via EFI String.

can u explain us how?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I can run Yosemite flawlessly on my old-ish C2D E8400, got sound working, ethernet, mouse/keyboard, etc. Booted from the first time.

BUT, there is one extremely annoying quirk. Sometimes, out of the blue, the GPU won't start, and my HDMI monitor reports no signal. The video card is a Geforce GTS 450. If it doesn't boot, the second time I boot it with PCIRootUID=0, and then it works. But the third time, with the SAME boot options, it won't work  :w00t:

I tried PCIRootUID=0/1, PCIURootUID=0/1, and loads of other options I found in the countless hours I spent Googling for solutions. If anything worked once, the second time it wouldn't work. I'm starting to suspect that somehow it isn't related to the boot flags...

I had the same problem in Mavericks, but couldn't fix it either.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrei.

EDIT: Sorry, posted in the installation area... Well, happens when booting from USB too, so I guess it's ok, in a way...

EDIT 2: Was able to boot without any flags at all... So the flags weren't doing anything.

is your GTS450 a Galaxy brand make? And yeh it not only happens with Yosemite, but also with mavericks too. Although it rarely happens(now with clover), it isn't too much a big deal for me. Try waiting for a few seconds on the bootloader and then try booting it. The chances for not booting has lowered after i started using Clover after chameleon. I feel clover is simple and wayy better than chameleon. Btw i never got HDMI working(DVI and VGA both work), any workarounds? thanks