Looking to change Maverick ftp's working tmp directory

basskleff

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time UNIX, Solaris, CentOS, AIX, user/professional here.

How is everyone?

I've just installed  Mac OSX Mavericks in a virtual machine using EMC Vmware player as the hypervisor.

Do any UNIX/CLI gurus know how to change ftp's working tmp directory from "/tmp" to something else?

I am trying a fix I found elsewhere to address mouse focus and accuracy issues within the booted guest.

Now that the machine has come back up and I have menus to finish off the initial installation,  the mouse pointer is erratic and unusable.

In any case, how does that relate to ftp?

Well,  I have booted the virtual machine back on the dvdrom iso, and I can then open a terminal and see my virtual hard disk mounted under /Volumes/<machine name>

The fix is to roll back and IOUSB family extension that resides under /System/Library/extension.

There is a Mac OSX package to try and install to do this.  I've downloaded that to my Windows host laptop. 

Not sure if it will work, but seemed easy enough to try.

So transferring it to the Mavericks vm presented a little puzzle, but I decided that ftp would work the best.

I'm booted off an OSX install cd, but set my PATH to find the ftp binary /Volumes/<machine>/usr/bin.

Anyhow, everything works and I'm almost home, but ftp won't  complete an mget due to the /tmp  filesystem being read-only and not able to write its "whatever", cached file during transfer.

Well, of course this is expected, because we're booted up on read-only dvd rom.  It seems to me that in the past with ftp or vi, I've reset the default scratch directory to somewhere else.

.netrc maybe?

Just thought of another option.  I can start a browser- probably safari within this OSX vm and maybe down load the file directly.

Cheers,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Success!!

I did not have to go through the bit convoluted steps mentioned in my previous post.

Although it never hurts to learn how to do obscure, funky things like change ftp's tmp directory.

I had found a fix on the niresh site to declare the vm as Windows 7 x64 when building and loading Mac OSX Mavericks for the first time.

The mouse emulation issues went away.

However,  I wanted a bit cleaner genesis and decided to buy OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 from Apple and upgrade inside the machine.

I didn't really like looking at the niresh splash banner on every boot.

I was able to use Donk's vmware unlocker script to prepare vmware to offer  install directly from the OSX install dvd.  Absolutely brilliant!

No extra 3rd party bootloader isos (no Empire, Clover, etc.)

It is installing now, and we'll see if once logged in, I can do an apple store update to Mavericks.

For others going this route,  I have a couple of tips.  I am on an HP Pavilion dv6 with i7 Ivy-bridge (3rd gen) and 8GB ram, Windows 7 64bit home premium.

- stick with vmware player or workstation versus Oracle's virtualbox. I like them both, but mucho problems getting past the bluetooth transport message in virtualbox.

- make sure that when you select the apple osx version in the early dialogue of creating the vm in vmware player/workstation that it matches the install dvd- in my case 10.6.  Otherwise, you'll likely see cpu faults and reboots in the vm, as I did.

You CAN change the # of CPUs and cores-per beyond the default of 1 and still have it work.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1