My MacBook Pro is GONE!

32 posts in this topic

A little bit of background: My MacBook Pro was purchased earlier this year in March. Since that time it has experienced a litany of problems. Starting with the "MagSafe" power adapter which went up in smoke. Literally, it went up in smoke.

So no big problem here. And despite the AppleCare support staff being more concerned about me filing a lawsuit than getting me my replacement, a quick visit to the Apple Store and I had a newer (safer?) adapter in my hands.

A few weeks go by and I notice my battery sporadically choosing whether to keep my Mactel powered. At anytime between an hour remaining and a half hour remaining the machine would simply shut down. No warning, no "Your Battery Level is Running Low" words of caution, just shutdown. After turning over the machine I noticed the battery physically bowing out from its base. So at the risk of losing any chances of joining the Exploding Sony Batteries Club, I turned my heels and shot on down to the Apple Store to once again get a replacement. The Genius was pleasant, my case was heard, and in minutes I was walking out with my shiny new battery in tow.

Having purchased a Wireless Might Mouse I didn't feel too much remorse when my built-in mouse suddenly stopped responding. It was really a rather curious issue, because it either wouldn't respond to any input at all, or it needed The Undertaker to smash his fist into it at maximum speed to produce a single "click."

And that's when tragedy struck. For all my want and love of my MacBook Pro, I could deal with a smoking power adapter, I could deal with a battery ready to explode, and I could even deal with an unresponsive primary input device, but I just couldn't deal with a dying hard drive.

Don't get me wrong here. This thing was spinning slower than the local DJ in your grandma's garage. It was hitting higher octaves than Mariah Carey in the Philips Arena. In the noisest place in a crowded store the Genius could hear the reverberations of my smoking hot MacBook Pro's shock-resistant hard disk drive spining its way down to doom.

So I tried for a replacement, but the Geniuses wouldn't budge, and the only recourse was to turn that puppy in for its repair. The good news? I'll have a working mouse too insh'Allah (God-willing). The bad news? I'll be mac-less for at least another 4 days. I know. It's an eternity to suffer alone. I turn to you, my fellow InsanelyMac denizens, in the hopes that you might offer some words of solace and inspiration during this truly troubling time. Any bleeding hearts out there?

Man that really sucks dude, I should be getting a MacBook Pro this Christmas and Im afraid bad things are going to happen with it, specially when they drop new processors in it. Should I convince the folks to get me the current MacBook Pro now as it seems most of the problems have been ironed out, or hope for the best that Core 2 Duo wont explode on me.

Groffy: you're right. It is only 4 days. But I've been using OS X for over a year now and I just hadn't anticipated how painful using Windows would be.

BlackShadow, get the new ones when they come out, just be sure to get AppleCare. I think the MBP came with a 90 day warranty which would have left me high and dry for 66% of the problems that I've had. AppleCare is cheap for what you get, figuring that I paid USD $350 for it and it's shelled out close to $480 for me, it's already paying itself off.

Groffy: you're right. It is only 4 days. But I've been using OS X for over a year now and I just hadn't anticipated how painful using Windows would be.

BlackShadow, get the new ones when they come out, just be sure to get AppleCare. I think the MBP came with a 90 day warranty which would have left me high and dry for 66% of the problems that I've had. AppleCare is cheap for what you get, figuring that I paid USD $350 for it and it's shelled out close to $480 for me, it's already paying itself off.

Thanks, I thought I should wait, I'll be sure to get AppleCare with it as I have it for my iMac in case it decides to go. I wonder, does anyone know who much better Core 2 Duo will be over the regular Core Duo, specially with intense apps such as Final Cut Studio?

sorry if that is :thumbsdown_anim: , but listen dont fret too much over it for 4 days, yeah Windows can be rough, but remember when your MacBook Pro comes back, it will be ready to take on the world :D.

suleiman, so is your Macbook Pro fixed and working again?

same ting happened to me(whine and heat, was sent in for replacement, but still a week without my mbp) . i had to go back to my crappy windoze machine.

i was going through withdrawals, and it made me hate microsoft so much more. i was so happy when i got it back.

It's funny, because I just downloaded a set of applications to try to make life on windows easier.

I use Quicksilver and found the far less capable but still functional AppRocket.

I use Expose and found the graphics intensive Reflex Windows

I use the Dock, and found the surprisingly smooth RKLauncher

And Shapeshifter's counterpart is Windowblinds.

I'm only familiar with all of these gizmos because before I found out about OSX86 I used to customize my PC to look like a mac. Of course this was years ago, so it was nice to revist that scene and see some of the updates the software has gone through.

As far as I know the MacBook Pro should have been repaired by now, unfortunately I'm at school in MI and won't be able to pick it up again until earliest Friday morning when I go back to IL.

FORTY DAYS!?!!? Holy {censored} man! No wonder you lost your game. =P

Well I just spoke to some more Geniuses today, who enlightened me to the news that the loud whirring noise was a broken fan. They ordered the part and I'm looking at getting my baby back earliest Friday, latest Saturday.

I just hope there aren't any more speed issues. I had the hard drive replaced because I thought that was making the noise and the whirring sound, but I had also noticed the system was grinding to a halt, something I had attributed to the hard drive as well.

Could the busted fan be leading to CPU overheatage and slower speeds? I swear if there's any more problems with this thing Apple will be upgrading me to a new MBP at their own expense.

I'm buying an iMac to replace the last of my PC's.

My collection of intel macs will then be two iMacs a Mac Pro and a Macbook :) an expensive collection and I've had not a single problem with any of them.

an expensive collection and I've had not a single problem with any of them.

Lucky. 10.4.8 screwed up Rosetta on mine.

lostgame when you say it "screwed up Rosetta" do you mean that PPC apps only launch sporodically? I had the same problem after the 10.4.7 update but was able to fix my problem. I created an automator application out of the fix so if you need it PM me and let me know, I should have my MBP back by (late) tonite. :whistle:

Quality control at apple is something nonexistent now.

my ihack never nevr hanged or crashed or anything, i was the man at quality control of my own job, i only used first classs parts and components.

Whats happening with the legendary apple quality control?

it's funny you mention that aberracus, because at the time I got my MBP my father also picked one up. I had been touting apple so much after running it on my Dell that I thought I'd fall in love with my new machine and he with his.

Boy was I ever wrong. Within a week his machine was crashing continuously, and within a month it was on his shelf gathering dust. It killed me to think there was a gorgeous brand new machine lying around doing nothing back at home, but I had hyped up everything Apple to the point I was left speechless when his machine kept on crashing.

We tried updates and the rest of it but no success. Now my brother has the machine and he wants to get a Mac Pro because the machine is basically kaput.

just be sure to get AppleCare. I think the MBP came with a 90 day warranty which would have left me high and dry for 66% of the problems that I've had. AppleCare is cheap for what you get, figuring that I paid USD $350 for it and it's shelled out close to $480 for me, it's already paying itself off.

The default warranty is 1 year. During the year if things are replaced, they adopt the rest of the year as their warranty period, or 90 days, whichever ends up being longer. So if your Logic Board fails the day before your warranty ends, and you log it with Apple before it expires, you get another 90 days of warranty for that part replaced.

-John

It's not the best, I agree. But it ran OS X VERY smoothly. I don't think I ever experienced a crash, except for when I was trying to get the graphics card to enable Core Image and Quartz Extreme. It was a speedy dependable little guy and now that I'm running Windows on it (I deleted my Mac partition since I had a real Mac), it's been puttering along.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bro, how it going now? Got it back?

If so how is it functioning?

Apple Care in my opinion is really over priced. I know in suleiman case it was well worth it but when I spend $1999+ on a system, I don't expect to need to purchase additional warrenty for a further 2 years at $349.00.

That's a good portion of the entire cost of the system itself.

Also in the UK the prices are even worse taking into account the conversion rate.

15-Inch MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

US: $1,999 + $349 = $2,348

UK: £1,349.01 + £279.00 = £1,628.01 = $3,050.54 (1 GBP = 1.87380 USD, XE.com 25/10/06)

Difference: $3,050.54 - $2,348 = $702.54 = £374.97 (1 USD = 0.533748 GBP, XE.com 25/10/06)

That's a fair bit of extra cash.

Inshallah when i'm rich and loaded i'll by a row of MacBooks Pros like those arab princes buy cars. :angel:

(Note: cost of the UK MacBook Pro = £1349.01. Why the extra £0.01? Mistake?)

• 2 months later...