No sound after waking from sleep

frankiee

26 posts in this topic

Well, title says it all ... after waking, no sound!

Am on ALC898, and the only solution so far is to manually reload AppleHDA.kext and restart coreaudiod after each wake.

Any ideas what causes this and how to solve?

Ahhh OK, this is much better! But I still had one instance where sound died after waking, and interestingly - as with the AppleHDA I used before - I could hear the sounds that are played when changing volume immediatly after waking up, but as soon as I tried to play an HTML5 video, sound was gone again. But at least this only happened once, and not everytime as before, so it is a definitive improvement.

But - being curious - can I ask you what is the underlying root of the problem? Also heard that some "real" Mac Owners - mostly MBP owners - suffer from the same problem.

So do we need to apply another patch besides toleda's in the future?

OK, so what is the difference between your method and toleda's? On the first hand, it looks similar, but with just a different technique.

And while your solution works better, I still get the problem that sound was dead after wake. In contrast to a toleda patched HDA, this problem does not occur always, but still sometimes ...

OK, so what is the difference between your method and toleda's? On the first hand, it looks similar, but with just a different technique.

And while your solution works better, I still get the problem that sound was dead after wake. In contrast to a toleda patched HDA, this problem does not occur always, but still sometimes ...

This is not a problem of patch kext 
from 10.9.2 a few things have changed in the AppleHDA Binary 
if you use a version of 10.9.1 will not have this problem. 
I have my own patch AppleHDA for tools, 

I use different methods.

This is not a problem of patch kext 
from 10.9.2 a few things have changed in the AppleHDA Binary 
if you use a version of 10.9.1 will not have this problem.

So this also looks like a bug on Apple's side? That would explain that this symptoms also can be seen on some real macs.

Thank you, I'll try! But what I immediatly see is still some assertion messages in the log:

29.06.14 17:32:14,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAWidget at line 4271
29.06.14 17:32:14,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 1374

and these:

29.06.14 17:38:28,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAFunctionGroup at line 1042
29.06.14 17:38:28,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAFunctionGroup at line 1042

And I had dead sound just at the second wake I tried ... so this does not really seem to be a final solution, just a bit better, but unfortunately not quite there it seems.

Well, I do not care too much about assertions, as long as everything works. And the "solution" you proposed just seems to suppress these messages, but not actually solve anything.

btw: just got another dead sound situation after waking, so your 2nd solution does not seem to work as good as the first one, ie. fails in about 50% of all cases (non scientific personal measurement though)

So it almost seems I have to go back to the "reload AppleHDA.kext and restart coreaudiod after each wake" workaround ... hope the 10.9.4 kext will work better.

OK, no probs so far with the 10.9.1 version. If that turns out well, it seems the problem is on Apple's side. Looks like they introduced a bug with 10.9.2. Hope they fix it with 10.9.4, at least bc it affects some real mac owners, too.

Thanks for your help ;)

And the problem is NOT fixed by 10.9.4 :mad: .... arrrg this gets pretty annoying. Has anybody an idea how to fix this, or do I need to stay on the 10.9.1 version forever? (if it still works at all)

• 1 month later...

For this issue i use AppleHDA version from 10.9.0 or 10.9.1, but i found this on the web, reported by MacBookPro users on the apple bug reporting page.

I've not tried the app because i'm not at home, if someone wants to try...

For this issue i use AppleHDA version from 10.9.0 or 10.9.1, but i found this on the web, reported by MacBookPro users on the apple bug reporting page.

I've not tried the app because i'm not at home, if someone wants to try...

I did and it works (relatively) well, but still sometimes fails. But still no real solution - all this app does (but does it well in a nice package) is to restart AppleHDA after sleep. But it works and I would recommend it overall, if rewinding to 10.9.1 kext is not an option. Big bonus of this App - in contrast to other solutions - is that this app does *not* expose your admin password, i.e. stores it in the keychain.

• 1 month later...

Really annoying… I start to experience this little issue from Yosemite final. AppleHDA from 10.9.5 is resolving trouble for now, but we all know that this is not neat solution...

Hopefully Apple will do something in the future to resolve this.

Of course I can use this AppleHDA Reset application, which btw is not running perfectly smooth, or terminal commands such as:

sudo bash
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

• 3 weeks later...

Meh

https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander

+ darkwake=8 in boot-args solves it all

Thanks for this one... I'll check it right away.  :yes:

[EDIT]

Yeah, it works but with additional editing. It's ok, but not for beginners...

Would either of you mind explaining how to use this Codec Commander for a beginner like me? As in after I've downloaded that .zip what do i use to run those files?

[Edit] 

As in I'm supposed to compile the stuff in that folder into a kext or something right? And then I show contents of the kext and alter the info.plist? But how do i compile that stuff into a kext?

Edited by Jared Taskin

• 2 months later...

For me codec commander did not work, however this http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/3084-eapdjack-sense-fix-no-audiojack-sense-issue-after-sleep/ did work like a charm.

However you need to have a linux distro availble to check certain things, I just downloaded linux mint and burned it on a dvd.

Still this also not a beginners solution.