Constant Disk Corruption

29 posts in this topic

Well I'm on my 3rd reinstall of mavericks. (last time I created a new installer from a different mac and even completely wiped the HDD)

I think I caught it this time before rebooting.

post-1106388-0-24442600-1403718390_thumb.png

Has anyone else had constant issues like this?

I'm afraid if I reboot now It will not be fixable like before :(

I'm using Clover's trim patch. Should I disable it?

I'm using an OCZ Agility 3 256 GB

I could see that being the cause, since I recently added that patch...

Apparently Sandforce SSDs have issues with OS X's TRIM support. Therefore I am disabling TRIM and we will see how it goes...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5453/trim-enabler-20-for-os-x-lion-released

I put a OCZ Vertex 3 (120GB) with Trim Enabler in my sister's 2010 MBP 15' running Mavericks with the same SF 2281 (I think?) controller and it works fine, although 10.10 got corrupted somehow...

i have seen this happen before, but always able to fix it with DiskWarrior. Im not sure exactly why TRIM would have anything to do with it. Using Windows 8 hibernate / fast startup feature in a dual-boot environment can cause this kind of fsck errors. I also have a Original vertex as well as a Vertex 2 ssd in my system here. Original trim enabler / Clover patch / no trim at all does not make a difference. Sometimes when u boot in verbose mode after a normal fsck u see like "trimming unused blocks"  i always assumed when i did see that TRIM was active, i also read that older (OCZ/sandforce?) based ssd's have indeed some native TRIM/garbage collection feature built in.   

Soon after rebooting a couple times in a row, I noticed the computer was hanging (spinning beachball of death)

Diskutility had the same message again.

I rebooted to disk repair and once again repaired the disk

ran verify a 2nd time and it was ok.

Then ran repair permissions,

then verified 1 more time. It is still good.

I've also noticed this message when shutting down but am not sure if this is normal or maybe it's related.

unmount of /home failed (45)
unmount of /net failed (45)

post-1106388-0-89918200-1403722411_thumb.jpg

Also I do dual boot Windows 8.1 but it has it's own SSD.

Mac OS will always say that the Windows drive is hibernated (but I always shut down Windows)

Windows 8 has a new "fast" shutddown that is really logging out then hibernating, which can be disabled in the power options.

The process killing is unusual, but I have that issue too. Is it still hanging?

After the second disk repair via the repair partition I've resumed Android programming without an issue, but am keeping an eye on it.

Should I disable Windows 8 fast startup?

(also I think the process killing was because I immediately shutdown after it just booted)

Fast startup/shutdown isn't an issue unless you need to read files on your windows ssd.

What exactly do you mean, read files? Doesn't mac OS auto-mounts NTFS automatically at boot time? This happens cause it uses your storage to write a part of the state of memory into your disk (hibernate), with foreign filesystems, all the changes that occur in-between reboots are can leave an inconsistent filesystem, sooner or later, it's like not syncing disks after rebuilding kernel cache etc

So we would assume Apple's bootcamp drivers for Windows 8 disables the fast startup option, or their OS X NTFS driver knows how to read a (partially) hibernated disc?

And yes the Windows 8 NTFS disk is auto mounted but I never really read anything from it.

i never tried the driver for HFS/NTFS that apple ships, i do have experience in using other third party filesystem drivers namely paragon's one, and Macdrive (media four) I think at the moment you run the installer for both products, in windows, it even warns you to go into power options in windows to configure it off. So if u don't need any foreign filesystem support in Windows your good, But once you need r/w HFS support, you can better disable the fast startup feature, or it will sooner or later give trouble. Maybe its also due to the fact that i assume everybody in here has mostly mac native filesystems on their storage, but i think both (NTFS HFS) fail if u compare it to ZFS and I'm serious about migrating to that.

My friend didn't find anything wrong with the drive.

I am going to reinstall and not use Time Machine to restore anything. I am also starting without the trim patch. Then I will see how it goes from there.

I caved...

I got the disk back and tried restoring from time machine. It failed this time.

I then changed the Sata port to the other controller and it worked fine. 

We'll see if I get corruption now...

I disabled fast startup in Windows 8.1 but Mac OS X still complains the disk is hibernated and mounts it like normal.