10.9.3 Unabled to Use Asus HD7850 1GB Graphics Card (0xdeadbeef Error)

Nys

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I read that 10.9.3 supports hd7850 fully, then I updated my pc (amd) from 10.9.0 to 10.9.3 so that it could recognize hd7850 graphics card but still, it doesn't.

(to update, I backed up s/l/e and used some mach_kernel and replaced the one that update installed and then I replaced all of them with my s/l/e extensions from 10.9...repaired permissions, rebuilt cache with kext wizard...)

It still doesn't recognize it and if I don't use graphicsenabler=no command, it gives Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: ati.c, Line: 1772 error 

with my previous hd6570 video card, everything was awesome. not sure why but football manager worked much better than it did with windows. And os x installation was simple, too

Phenom II X4 Processor

Asus m5a78lm-lx mainboard

Asus HD7850 1GB Graphics Card

Hi,

I read that 10.9.3 supports hd7850 fully, then I updated my pc (amd) from 10.9.0 to 10.9.3 so that it could recognize hd7850 graphics card but still, it doesn't.

(to update, I backed up s/l/e and used some mach_kernel and replaced the one that update installed and then I replaced all of them with my s/l/e extensions from 10.9...repaired permissions, rebuilt cache with kext wizard...)

It still doesn't recognize it and gives Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: ati.c, Line: 1772 error if I don't use graphicsenabler=no command

everything was awesome with my previous hd6570 video card. Games like football manager worked better than they did with windows. I didn't have a single problem with installation or anything at all.

Phenom II X4 Processor

Asus m5a78lm-lx mainboard

4gb ram

Asus HD7850 1GB Graphics Card

Have you tried using PCIRootUID=0 or 1? I don't know why you would need to change that if your card worked previously, though...

I had a similar problem on my XPS, it used to have an 8800GT that it just would not recognize. verdant added it to my DSDT and that was what finally got it working. So you could try enabling it that way.

BTW the fact that you got a "deadbeef" error i find hilarious. Perhaps your motherboard is vegetarian.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I finally did it.

with clover it boots up without the deadbeef error. (It must be about GraphicsEnabler, you can probably boot using chameleon by enabling GraphicsEnabler via chameleon wizard)

if you install 10.9.3 directly using clover bootloader it will work.

for anyone who has 10.9.0,

1) Install os x with clover as the bootloader (if it can't recognize your usb mouse and keyboard, disable InjectUsb (or something like that) from clover boot menu, should be under pci devices

2) Update using 10.9.3 combo update

3) Now you need to replace mach_kernel with another kernel that's compatible with amd processors. (you can find it using google the kernel that has something like 10.9.0/10.9.1/10.9.2/10.9.3 in its title should do the trick)

To do this you'll need to use a linux live cd or windows. I used ubuntu and I was able mount the os x drive read/write with these commands

1) sudo apt-get install hfsplus hfsprogs hfsutils
2) mount -o force -t hfsplus /dev/XXX /mnt/

3) sudo nautilus (use it to replace mach_kernel)

after replacing the kernel you must replace the kexts that your kernel requires. (they are in the zip file of the kernel you downloaded) again, replace them using nautilus

4) You need to repair permissions using the disk utility of os x installer usb (or dvd)

Done, now hd7850 should work.