MacOsX on the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

194 posts in this topic

Hi

yes - here is the IOreg without DSDT OSYS patch. Just as an info - since this was a installation by a guide (mentioned in this thread) the OSYS was set to Windows 2006 via default in the DSDT. I have changed the line for OSYS first from Windows 2006 to Windows 2012 (IOREG above), then changed ist to Windows 2013 (IOREG above) and then removed the "Darwin" section completly - so this is now the the IOreg posted in this post - without any Darwin OSYS assignment.

Thanks

gkarg

Just looked into this some more, looks like there's a rfkill device which is related to bluetooth being disabled if the system does not match specifically Windows 12.

Search for "BTKL" in the DSDT. In the _STA method of this device, change "Windows 2012" to "Darwin". Then post your IOReg output here (please post the .ioreg format not the .txt one). This probably won't enable the bluetooth device OOTB but it may enable you to upload the firmware as ppage was mentioning earlier on in the thread.

This actually makes sense since bluetooth is working in Linux on the SP3 from what I gather and the Linux kernel masks itself as Windows 2012.

Edit: Turns out I have this exact device on the Venue Pro as well. I'll see if I cam get bluetooth working on it.

Just looked into this some more, looks like there's a rfkill device which is related to bluetooth being disabled if the system does not match specifically Windows 12.

Search for "BTKL" in the DSDT. In the _STA method of this device, change "Windows 2012" to "Darwin". Then post your IOReg output here (please post the .ioreg format not the .txt one). This probably won't enable the bluetooth device OOTB but it may enable you to upload the firmware as ppage was mentioning earlier on in the thread.

This actually makes sense since bluetooth is working in Linux on the SP3 from what I gather and the Linux kernel masks itself as Windows 2012.

Edit: Turns out I have this exact device on the Venue Pro as well. I'll see if I cam get bluetooth working on it.

Hi

ok -here is the output after changing to the following:

Scope (_SB)
    {
        Device (BTKL)
        {
            Name (_HID, "INT3420")
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    If (LEqual (BID, BW2C))
                    {
                        Return (0x0F)
                    }
                }

Return (Zero)
            }

Method (_PS0, 0, Serialized)
            {
                And (GL0A, 0x7F, GL0A)
            }

Method (_PS3, 0, Serialized)
            {
                Or (GL0A, 0x80, GL0A)
            }

Method (PSTS, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (RDGP (0x57))
            }
        }
    }

I also changed the OSYS section to Windows 2012

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
Store (0x07DC, OSYS)
}

I'm not sure what you mean with .ioreg format ? I piped the ioreg Output directly -> this and also as an XML file -> this

What koind of output do you need excactly?

Many Thanks

gkarg

Hi

ok -here is the output after changing to the following:

Scope (_SB)
    {
        Device (BTKL)
        {
            Name (_HID, "INT3420")
            Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    If (LEqual (BID, BW2C))
                    {
                        Return (0x0F)
                    }
                }

Return (Zero)
            }

Method (_PS0, 0, Serialized)
            {
                And (GL0A, 0x7F, GL0A)
            }

Method (_PS3, 0, Serialized)
            {
                Or (GL0A, 0x80, GL0A)
            }

Method (PSTS, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (RDGP (0x57))
            }
        }
    }
I also changed the OSYS section to Windows 2012

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
Store (0x07DC, OSYS)
}
I'm not sure what you mean with .ioreg format ? I piped the ioreg Output directly -> this and also as an XML file -> this

What koind of output do you need excactly?

Many Thanks

gkarg

Use IOReg explorer to save the ioreg, it makes it easier to read. I can still use the text though, I'll look at it when I'm home.

It doesn't look like your patched DSDT is loading. It's strange though because the I2C devices should enumerate inside OS X without any changes to the DSDT. I'll look into this more soon and see.

Should i post the complete DSDT output of MaciASL after the boot ? Will this help?

Thanks

Gkarg

That won't make a difference, MaciASL extracts a fresh DSDT on boot. Where are you saving the DSDT.aml to? (also, what's your bootloader?)[/

But why are the changes in my patched DSDT included in this fresh DSDT, when i open MaciASL, if they are not active ?

I'm using Clover - the DSDT is saved on the boot partition in some directory called patched - do you need the full path?

Thanks

Gkarg

That won't make a difference, MaciASL extracts a fresh DSDT on boot. Where are you saving the DSDT.aml to? (also, what's your bootloader?)[/

But why are the changes in my patched DSDT included in this fresh DSDT, when i open MaciASL, if they are not active ?

I'm using Clover - the DSDT is saved on the boot partition in some directory called patched - do you need the full path?

Thanks

Gkarg

Ah sorry, I assumed that you were using an EFI partition which doesn't usually mount by itself. I'm not really sure what's going on, give me some time to have a think about it.

Ah sorry, I assumed that you were using an EFI partition which doesn't usually mount by itself. I'm not really sure what's going on, give me some time to have a think about it.

Yes, I'm using an EFI fat32 boot partition, which I need to mount manually, if I want to access it - with the EFI & CLOVER files.

Thanks

Gkarg

Great thread!

I'm a complete newbie in the hackintosh world but have used Macs for 15 years.  I'm wondering if a SP3 would be a good replacement for my 4yr old macbook.

Would be really great if someone can post a summary of what's not working yet and if there's any way I can help out (have lots of time over the holidays to try things).

Great thread!

I'm a complete newbie in the hackintosh world but have used Macs for 15 years. I'm wondering if a SP3 would be a good replacement for my 4yr old macbook.

Would be really great if someone can post a summary of what's not working yet and if there's any way I can help out (have lots of time over the holidays to try things).

Hi

Here is my experiance:

The following is NOT working:

Touchscreen

Typecover

Internal WIFI

Internal Bluetooth

The following is working with problems:

Tablet Display - has sometimes some graphic glitches

I'm currently using the Apple Keyboard with integrated Hub and attached USB Bluetooth / WIFI sticks. Apple Bluetooth Mouse is working with this combination.

Gkarg

Can't get the installer to boot - after following all the instructions the boot is really slow and ends with the Apple logo corrupted and a forever spinning cursor.

I would spend more time and effort trying to move forward, but the Surface Pro 3 is the most unreliable HW I've ever used.  Even after applying all firmware updates it still randomly reboots.  When fully shut down it randomly start's up!

Can't get the installer to boot - after following all the instructions the boot is really slow and ends with the Apple logo corrupted and a forever spinning cursor.

I would spend more time and effort trying to move forward, but the Surface Pro 3 is the most unreliable HW I've ever used.  Even after applying all firmware updates it still randomly reboots.  When fully shut down it randomly start's up!

Hi

You device seems to be defective. I never had one of the issues, you described. So I think, you should replace it.

With a defective device it doesn't make sense to install Mac OS X.

Gkarg

Hi,

This happened to me while I tried to use 10.10 Yosemite to install. This solved after I've found 10.9.1 mac app installer and follow this topic.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same on my SP3 after following the guide on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/. Do I need to change config.plist? Anything else?

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I am trying since last week to install Mac Os maverick or Yosemite on to my surface pro 3 > I5 and thus far no chance . 

Has anyone been successful at this ? any drivers or steps they can share by now? 

What is the issue? We can't help you unless you state what your problem is.

thank you for the reply. it usually hangs at the installer portion. I will be getting numerous error lines such as the ones showing in the picture attached. 

i have done all the steps requited and mentioned by jah including using all the steps others have tried and mentioned in this thread.

post-1477304-0-97164800-1423321942_thumb.jpg

Looks like there might be a corrupt next in the installer. Have you tried downloading the Yosemite installer again and creating the USB from scratch?

Note that low quality USB sticks are not recommended for installing. If you have an external hard drive, I'd recommend you use that.

Have you modified the Clover config.plist provided in the first post in any way?

Just an observation for you guys with regards to the bluetooth on the Surface Pro 3. The new generation Windows tablets (Surface Pro 3 and the Dell Venue 11 Pro) have been using the Intel Lynxpoint LPSS set of devices to control most of the special equipment on the tablet. This includes the bluetooth. The bluetooth on these new devices sits on the LPSS UART bus which we dont really have support for (and unlikely to).

Here is the IOReg on my Dell Venue 11 Pro showing the BTH0 device on the UART Bus:

84bb72b325bc7e54bed747de4d802af6.png

You guys should be able to get the same result by following the OS check fix I mentioned earlier on in the thread. The Surface Pro 3's DSDT is exactly the same as the Dell's in this respect.

Apple does have support for the LPSS devices (which is why we get 'LPSSI2C, LPSSUART probe etc' failed in the bootlog). However Apple's devices use GPIO interrupts to interface with the LPSS devices whereas our tablets seem to use generic ACPI interrupts. As a result, the LPSS drivers fail to find the GPIO pin data set in the _DSM method of the LPSS device and the probe fails.

I have been porting the LPSS I2C bus drivers from Linux which will work for the touch screen but I doubt anyone will ever get round to porting the UART drivers. The Dell Venue 11 Pro has a changeable wifi card and I have replaced it so I have working wifi and bluetooth with a broadcom card. You guys with the Surface Pro 3 aren't so lucky. Even if the UART drivers are ported from Linux to get the bluetooth to work, you'll still be stuck with a non-functioning wifi card.

Edit: on second thought, I'm not entirely convinced that the Bluetooth on the Surface Pro 3 is on the UART port. Can anyone here follow my DSDT patch I posted earlier in the thread and provide me with their IOReg? I tried with gkarg but it didn't seem to work for him.