MacOsX on the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

194 posts in this topic

Thanks heaps for the config.plist! With it I was able to get my new Surface Pro 3 to run OS X 10.9.0. WiFi dongle should arrive in a few days, so will then update to 10.9.4. Once I have internet access it will be a lot more useful!

Problem I have is the the SP 1 & 2 forums and videos mention pressing the volume down button while pressing the power button to go into Clover drive section screen. This does not work for me. Has this changed with the SP 3? What should I use now?

It's made the whole thing very cumbersome having to boot in to Windows, go to setup, restore, restore from USB drive, restart to get to the Clover screen.

Thanks, James.

Hmm, I am finding SP3 great entirely due to the added screen size. I guess everyone has different priorities. I am using (or planning to use) SP3 and iPad 3rd gen in a lot of unconventional ways (as a music interface, for example), so that could be why things like larger screen size, or the old dock connector on the iPad (with all the accessories made for it) are things that I need.

Has anyone gotten the USB to ethernet adapter working for SP? How about the HDMI and/or VGA adapters?

jlbrown - it really should still be a matter of holding volume down while booting to get to the bootloader. I'll try it myself once I finish figuring out how to prepare for installing OSX on SP3.

Wanted to share my experience with installing Yosemite on a Surface Pro 3. 

What doesn't work:

Touch Controls

Wifi

Bluetooth

Type cover

Graphic Artifacts after initial startup (resolves itself logging out and then in again)

Things tried:

Audio works with the Voodoo kext. Installed a bluetooth adapter (Asus) for bluetooth. Used NullEthernet to fix imessage/itunes/facetime etc.

Installed an external wifi usb adapter which worked but uninstalled because the adapter's performance was disappointing (any suggestions for a good wifi usb adapter?). Also, the usb ethernet adapter works. Enabled hidpi using Quartz debug (installed Xcode beta) and the clarity is amazing.

Airplay tested and works as well. Tried with both an airport express and an apple tv. 

----------

This was my first hackintosh and I've learned a lot from this experience and this forums. A thank you to the community.

To me, this surface pro 3 hackintosh feels like 80% complete and usable. Mainly, it's missing n-trig kexts and getting the type cover to work . 

post-1382445-0-60484500-1409880881_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone do a quick summary of installing 10.10? I get it to boot up to 'AppleIntelLpssI2C: Probe fails' and it just hangs there. I've tried injecting EDID and Intel Graphics etc. 

Don't mind about WiFi, Bluetooth, Keyboard, etc, just want to be able to boot OS X so I can run some vector software on it  :P

Hi

I tried this Guide together with the config for Surface 3. My Problem is, only OS X 10.9.5 Installer can be downloaded via AppStore - and this version seems not to work with this guide - I can't boot into OS X Installer - always stuck at boot at  "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!". So - what is the latest compatible OS X Version, which works with this guide and how can I download a older version via AppStore ?

Many thanks

gkarg

Hi

I tried this Guide together with the config for Surface 3. My Problem is, only OS X 10.9.5 Installer can be downloaded via AppStore - and this version seems not to work with this guide - I can't boot into OS X Installer - always stuck at boot at "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!". So - what is the latest compatible OS X Version, which works with this guide and how can I download a older version via AppStore ?

Many thanks

gkarg

Hi

I switched to 10.10 public beta ... so the message is normal ... but now i can pass until the Install screen ... problem now is, that usb is not working .. neither Mouse or Keyboard . tried UsbBusFix=Yes and also tried to disable USB injection in Clover menu ... still usb is not working ... i used the config from this thread and the files from the referenced Surface 2 guide.

Any help would be great

Thanks

gkarg

• Like 1

Hi
USB Problem solved - i needed to download a signed Generic USB kext - so this was an 10.10 Problem. Now it works.
So - i was able to start the 10.10 installer.

Now I'm writing this post under 10.10 with my Surface 3 pro. Everything works great.

I'm Using the external USB Mac Keyboard - in the two USB ports of the keyboard i have plugged in a mouse and RTL8188 WIFI dongle. 

So - when the Type Cover would work & internal Wifi + Bluetooth - this would be a great Mac Book. I don't think. we will see an touch input soon - but who knows.

Thanks
Gkarg

Can someone do a quick summary of installing 10.10? I get it to boot up to 'AppleIntelLpssI2C: Probe fails' and it just hangs there. I've tried injecting EDID and Intel Graphics etc.

Don't mind about WiFi, Bluetooth, Keyboard, etc, just want to be able to boot OS X so I can run some vector software on it :P

Hi

I followed the guide on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298461-guide-test-macos-1010-publicbeta-or-developerpreview/ and used the section for public beta, since it was easy just to apply for the apple public beta and download the public beta 3 officially. The only difference was:

1. you have to use the SurfacePro 2°Gen. Steps files from the guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/

2. you have to use the config.plist from this thread

3. now you should get to the installation screen, but usb is not working (see my posts below in this thread) - so you have two options:

1) download and put an signed GenericUSB kext in the clover extensions 10.10 folder

2) add kext-dev-mode=1 to the boot args, to enable load of unsigned kexts (i added them to the config.plist on the clover EFI partition, which is the config.plist mentioned in 2.)

I would suggest 2), since for enabling trim mode, you will also need add kext-dev-mode=1 and a kext patch section in the config.plist for enabling trim. Instructions found under http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298507-enable-trim-on-non-apple-ssd/

Just use "3rd Method (Clover only. DP8 Works)" - and be sure, to add this patch correctly to the config.plist - since there is already an entry in our config.plist,

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

</dict>

-----> add the 3rd method here from the post referenced - but only everything from the <dict> ... </dict> section

</array

BTW: Don't use Trim Enabler - it will crash your installation, by wrongly modifing other plists - i had to reinstall 10.10 2 times because of this.

Hope this helps

Gkarg

I too have "artifacts" on the menu bar and dock, even on SP2. Maybe they are 4300U caused? I will post again about them on SFPro2 thread "soon".

By the way, AvastarFwLoader won't work on SP3, but the fix should be trivial (add a new personality for the new PCI IDs and mix in the new USB8897 firmware image from http://git.marvell.com/?p=mwifiex-firmware.git;a=tree;f=mrvl

I will try to build a version that should work on all Surface models, but as usual, it may be some time until my next freetime slot.

I tried this - so i added the new firmware to the Surface 2 Pro Xcode project and changed the personality to vendor id = 4742 / product id = 8260 (found on internet) also tried 8266 (shown under Windows). Since i have seen post, that the product id can change, when the bluetooth firmware is loaded in Windows, i tried to read the product id via Mac OS X - but it is not listed via system Profiler usb device tree / usb probe - the bluetooth is shown in Windows as an USB subsystem. Is this normal, that i can't see the device in Os x via system Profiler usb device tree / usb probe ? Other components - like the type cover are shown, but not working - so is the kext only working, when the device is at least listed in usb device list ?

Has somebody the correct product id ?

Thanks

gkarg

Good news everyone - I talked to the guy at Touch-Base and they now have an SP3 so they will be developing a touchscreen driver!

If I have a chance I will take a look at how the other remaining problems like smart cover support, bluetooth and WiFi might be solvable. Is anyone else working on the problems right now??

• Like 1

Good news everyone - I talked to the guy at Touch-Base and they now have an SP3 so they will be developing a touchscreen driver!

If I have a chance I will take a look at how the other remaining problems like smart cover support, bluetooth and WiFi might be solvable. Is anyone else working on the problems right now??

Worthy of note, the Gold Master (GM) of Yosemite (10.10) was released today! Thus renewing my interest, goal being to get it running as good on the SP3 as I have it running on the SP2. I'll gladly share my results as soon as possible.

I have 10.9 running on my SP2 and SP3.

All works except wifi on the SP2 (using dongle for that).

On the SP3, I'm using the Edimax USB dongle for WIFI and the Asus USB-BT400 (Bluetooth 4.0) dongle with the microsoft wireless adapter for the surface type cover. It's a small black stick like device the clips onto the keyboard and makes it wireless. It connects the keyboard via bluetooth to the SP3 just fine. The little black stick is about $40 bucks though.

I was unable to get bluetooth to work on the SP3 but it works quite well on SP2. The type cover work on the SP2 and the power cover works as well but it doesn't charge the computer, only the keyboard on the power cover works.

On the SP3, I'm able to see the type cover keyboard and I've experimented with the GenericUSB kexts but without any luck, yet. Ironically, the type cover works with Clover at boot time and I can change the boot options, etc with the type cover connected directly to the SP3. It's just when mavericks loads it doesn't work. Power comes on the keyboard when you press the keys but the keys don't work.

In "USB Prober" on the SP2 it appears that the touch cover (USB 2.0) is working with com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI just fine. On the SP3 the touch cover is recognized on a 3.0 port using the AppleUSBXHCI. Actually the keyboard is recognized and hardware is viewable as if it should work.

It appears that microsoft upgraded the keyboard connection port to 3.0 and the XHCI apple driver needs to be modified to work with it. Funny thing is, the Apple EHCI driver works just fine. The keyboards themselves are backwards compatible. I snapped the SP3 big keyboard on the SP2 and it works just fine in 10.9 without any modifications so as everyone else has discovered, the connection port is upgraded and the XHCI driver is not compatible as-is.

I'm still playing with this and waiting for the touch screen drivers for SP3. :) If I make any progress, I will post an update.

Let me clarify... on SP3, bluetooth does work when using bluetooth dongle. It's the bluetooth on the device that I couldn't get to work.

Hmm it seems like they are only a bit closer, but there was not yet several people to verify everything working for Ubuntu.

Still, I am becoming very interested to set up a triple boot on Clover for SP3 running 10.10, Win 8 and Ubuntu 14.04.

Maybe if I can get everything installed and working with temporary substitute adapters, I can go back and forth on analyzing the problems remaining on both the Ubuntu and OS X side of things.

I'll report back if I make some progress.