MacOsX on the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

194 posts in this topic

does it matter that I did not do a complete wipe of the windows drive ? I just partitioned the C: drive to C and D and installed OS X on D without touching the windows stuff...

that is ok - i also using multiple martitions and just resized (shrinked) my original windows partition. But did you choose "Install Clover in the ESP" as the option for the Clover installer - only this option will install Clover to the EFI partition (after mounting the EFI partition automatically).

gkarg

i did a new install and followed your steps... Now I am able to boot into OS X without the usb but I can't boot into windows.  In clover I have several options boot windows from legacy HD1 boot windows from system boot windows from legacy HD4 and boot windows from legacy HD7.  it does not matter which windows option I use i always get a windows  icon in the middle of the screen and if a I press any button I go back to clover..

i did a new install and followed your steps... Now I am able to boot into OS X without the usb but I can't boot into windows.  In clover I have several options boot windows from legacy HD1 boot windows from system boot windows from legacy HD4 and boot windows from legacy HD7.  it does not matter which windows option I use i always get a windows  icon in the middle of the screen and if a I press any button I go back to clover..

Do you have one Windows Symbol as the first option, which is named "Boot Microsoft EFI from SYSTEM" ? If not - please check, that EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi exists (you have to use exactly the same filename). Only then it is listed in the boot menu.

gkarg

Hi

for me the following Chipsets are working:

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

WLAN USB:
Product ID: 0x8176 (RTL8188CUS chip)
Vendor ID: 0x0bda  (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

or just take a look at:

gkarg

i was looking around at other laptops that use the n trig digitizer, I think the sony vaio duo 11 also uses n-trig, and there are videos of the touch and pen functions working under osx... Not sure if this is of any value.

The n trig digitiser is on an I2C bus on the SP3, not USB. I am writing the drivers for it myself, check this thread here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304487-i2c-hid-touchscreens-trackpads-and-more/

Please do not ask about ETAs.

• Like 1

After installing yosemite, I have had two occasion where I get the blue screen with the following error: Error Code: 0xc0000034 in Windows 8 - Boot Configuration Data file missing required information and something about BCD.  I have to refresh the PC and then windows works again.  Not sure if this has something to do with the way clover changes the boot manager.

i was playing a little bit today with the bluetooth and the surface pen on Mac os and surprisingly the system detects it as  surface pro pen.

I am very sure that it can be easily transformed into a fully working pen acting as a  mouse. 

I need to keep the top button pressed to stay connected though. 

post-1477304-0-43388500-1425615237_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Small update for those waiting for SP3 touchscreen drivers. There hasn't been any new code contributions but someone was finally able to test a contribution from a couple of months back that gives proper input without the need for that HIDSample app (those who were alpha testing know what I'm referring to). The kext linked below can be loaded with "sudo kextload VoodooI2C.kext" and you should get basic mouse-like input. This includes navigating, left/right clicking and dragging. Keep in mind that these drivers are still experimental so I don't suggest you install them to /s/l/e. Furthermore, these drivers do not support power saving so it is highly likely that if you put the machine to sleep, it will crash. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdnnfgh80fcoprw/VoodooI2C%20SP3%20alpha.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

Small update for those waiting for SP3 touchscreen drivers. There hasn't been any new code contributions but someone was finally able to test a contribution from a couple of months back that gives proper input without the need for that HIDSample app (those who were alpha testing know what I'm referring to). The kext linked below can be loaded with "sudo kextload VoodooI2C.kext" and you should get basic mouse-like input. This includes navigating, left/right clicking and dragging. Keep in mind that these drivers are still experimental so I don't suggest you install them to /s/l/e. Furthermore, these drivers do not support power saving so it is highly likely that if you put the machine to sleep, it will crash. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdnnfgh80fcoprw/VoodooI2C%20SP3%20alpha.zip?dl=0

Alex - Thanks. I know how tough & busy Grad School can be. Why not put this as a project on Git, open source and get all SP3/ SP4 users {quite a many techies} to contribute.  

• 1 year later...

Hi

great news - got the Type Cover 3 working on the Surface Pro 3 (both keyboard / trackpad):

it took me time to read to all the docs and postings - since I'm a newbie to this (hackintosh and usb drivers) - but now it works.

First - what was the problem ? The Type Cover Keyboard has standard value for bInterfaceClass = 3, but non standard values for bInterfaceSubClass = 0 and bInterfaceProtocol = 3 - therefore the IOUSBHIDDriver never matched (expects bInterfaceClass = 3, bInterfaceSubClass = 1. bInterfaceProtocol = 1)

So how to fix that:

first make a backup of /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext so you can copy it back if needed

then open terminal

in terminal type:

"cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBHIDDriver.kext/Contents/"

in terminal type:

"sudo vi Info.plist"

then duplicate the <key>Generic Keyboard</key> section and replace the integer values of bInterfaceProtocol with 0 and bInterfaceSubClass with 3 - so that it looks like the following section (the section in bold is the copy / pasted and modified section):

<key>Generic Keyboard</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>

<key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBInterface</string>

<key>bInterfaceClass</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>bInterfaceProtocol</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>bInterfaceSubClass</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>Generic Keyboard</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>

<key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBInterface</string>

<key>bInterfaceClass</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>bInterfaceProtocol</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>bInterfaceSubClass</key>

<integer>3</integer>

</dict>

in terminal type:

"sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" and let it finish.

in terminal type:

"sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" and waited while it finished reindexing the extensions.

now reboot and the keyboard and trackpad are working ;-)

So good luck !

The best way to apply this permanently is to build a codeless kext. Anybody with Xcode and a developer account is welcome to create it !

EDIT: i have now created the coddles kext - just take a look only posting on the next page

gkarg

Do you mean Trackpad works with 2-finger scrolling? 

Or do you mean Trackpad works as a mouse?

I tried and I only get trackpad to work as a mouse, there is not 2-finger scrolling gesture.

Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks