can't install 10.9.3 - any ideas what could be wrong?

mrjayviper

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I have created my bootable USB using myhack and the 10.9.3 as download from the AppStore.

Anyway, I have tried rc6 and rc7 FX kernels and have replaced System and Sandbox KEXTs. In both cases, it results in a blank screen (my monitor says power saving mode).

I'm not sure how to extract the dump the screen so I took a video.

from what I can see the last 4 entries before the screen goes blank is

probe
start
Built-in decrypter used
[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] - completed
blank screen here

I am using 10.9.2 right now and the only KEXTs I needed to replace are the ones I mentioned above. I am using chameleon (like what I used in 10.9.2) and used the flags "-f -v npci=0x2000".

Any ideas what could be wrong? thanks very much in advance.

ps. my setup is in my sig.

edit1: I tried installing without using patched KEXTs and still the same results and error.

edit2: I used myhack to create the 10.9.2 USB installer and that works fine.

edit3: I've tried 2.1 Kernel/Kext from niresh and still no luck.

I have no luck at all trying to update to neither 10.9.2 or 10.9.3. Whatever kernel I tried, I still got a white screen with spinning wheel. The only way to get to desktop is trough safe mode (boot with -x)

Any idea on my case?

This is strange, because I updated to 10.9.3 without problems using 2.1 kernel from Niresh.

Also, you could try like this:

1. Backup your working mach_kernel and S/L/E folder

2. Update to 10.9.3

3. Boot with usb to terminal

4. Replace new mach_kernel and S/L/E with backuped ones (don't forget to back new ones too, just in case)

5. Fix permissions (chown -R root:wheel / chmod -R 755)

6. Restart and boot from HDD

Some users are reporting that this method works. Also this is method i updated to 10.9.2 with (Well, I used different mach_kernel and ADDED kexts tho).

Good luck!

You tried old (10.9.0) and new (modded for 2.1) kernels and none of them work?

Makes me think, there is something with VGA, because I have same CPU and it worked like charm.

Also strange thing is that You don't get kernel panic, which should be in case of wrong kernel / kexts - so that makes Me think more that it might be VGA issue...

Yeah, that's my thought as well... hmm.. but I don't have other VGA to do the test (sad thing). I thought HD 7770 is natively supported by OS X, but it seems like I'm wrong then. Do you have any other suggestion for me on this quest of conquering my VGA (LOL...)