Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA

toleda

793 posts in this topic

Ran realtekALC and then ran cloverALC.  The second method disables the first method and the first method disables the second method. One method start to finish.

Install native AppleHDA.kext.  Remove any config.plist/DSDT/Fixes. Download and run the latest script, cloverALC-110.  Reply with new IOReg and config.plist.

I did remove any config.plist/DSDT/fixes between realtekALC and cloverALC. Before ever trying to do anything with audio I backed up my EFI folder on the EFI partition to have a "vanilla" starting place. Then I tried cloverALC which doesn't modify AppleHDA but modifies/injects the clover install. When that didn't work I rremoved the modified clover install and replaced it with my "clean" EFI backup AND even though it shouldn't have edited AppleHDA I restored AppleHDA (taken from the 10.10.4 combo update) just for good measure. THEN I tried realtekALC, not both at the same time.

I am now back to the "vanilla" state with no DSDT/audio edits at all and a vanilla AppleHDA in place. I am going to run through the steps of doing realtekALC again and keep a log of exactly what I did and report back.

EDIT* ok I started from my "clean" EFI folder backup and with a clean AppleHDA, I've included the following log in the zip below but I will put it here as well. The zip contains my config.plist and IOReg from the different stages so download it to see them.

In the vanilla folder you will find my “clean” config.plist as well as IOReg. From “vanilla” I ran audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0b.command and get the following.

MonstaPC:audio_RealtekALC-master damadone$ ./audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0b.command 

Agreement
The audio_realtekALC-110 script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
the patch, any or all of the files or the resulting patched AppleHDA.kext
for any reason without permission. The audio_realtekALC-110 script is
provided as is and without any kind of warranty.

File: File: audio_realtekALC-110.command_v1.0b
rm: /tmp/org.chameleon.Boot.txt: No such file or directory
Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem
No system files were changed
To save a Copy of this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...
MonstaPC:audio_RealtekALC-master damadone$ 

It complains of no HDEF, so I add “AddDTGP” and “FixHDA” in the ACPI section of clover configurator and also inject layout 1 in the device section of clover configurator and reboot.

I’ve now rebooted and can see HDEF in IORegistryExplorer. The new config.plist and IOReg that shows me now having HDEF and audio layout 1 are in the “AddDTGP_FixHDA_Layout 1” folder. So I will run audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0b.command again. The following is the output.

MonstaPC:audio_RealtekALC-master damadone$ ./audio_realtekALC-110_v1.0b.command 

Agreement
The audio_realtekALC-110 script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
for any reason without permission. The audio_realtekALC-110 script is

File: File: audio_realtekALC-110.command_v1.0b
rm: /tmp/org.chameleon.Boot.txt: No such file or directory
Password:
Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n): y
Enable HD4600 HDMI audio (y/n): n

Download ALC1150 files ...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 21366  100 21366    0     0  42324      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 42392

Preparing 10.10.4 ALC1150 AppleHDA.kext_v272.18.1
/Users/damadone/Desktop/audio_ALC1150-10.10.4-archive created, max 1 archive
Patch binaries ...
10.10.4 codec patch
Install files ...
Fix permissions ...
Kernel cache...
rebuilding //System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext

Install finished, restart required.
MonstaPC:audio_RealtekALC-master damadone$ 

Patching went successfully and now it is time to reboot and cross fingers!

I’ve now rebooted and it “looks” like I should have audio but I do not. In the “After last reboot” folder is a new IOReg and I copied my config.plist again to show it has not changed and various screenshots.

No matter which method I try I arrive at the same place. Everything "looks" good but still no audio. I have a 5.1 surround speaker setup plugged into the outputs on the back so if any of those outputs worked I would hear something and I've also tried the "front" headphone output with some earbuds and nothing comes out of there either.

RealtekALC log.zip

Whoops, I forgot to run audio_alc_x99-hda-100_patch.command as well. I've now ran that patch and rebooted but audio still doesn't work. Either I'm crazy, or there is something different with these MSI boards. I'm off to bed, I'll hop back on after work tomorrow, hopefully to some instructions on how to proceed. Thanks again Toleda.

@ DaMadOne

Patch never worked for me for x99 (Rampage V). I used the beta AppleHDA from Rampagedev's dmg to get audio working on my MB

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give it a shot when I go home for lunch today. I ran across their stuff while doing a bit of research before I installed Yosemite.

Whoops, I forgot to run audio_alc_x99-hda-100_patch.command as well. I've now ran that patch and rebooted but audio still doesn't work. Either I'm crazy, or there is something different with these MSI boards. I'm off to bed, I'll hop back on after work tomorrow, hopefully to some instructions on how to proceed. Thanks again Toleda.

I'm new to the whole Hackintosh scene, so I may be stating the obvious. Did you try changing output sources from System Preferences > Audio > Output? From my experience, the port mapping is like this:

Internal Speakers = green port

Line Out (1st one) = orange port

Line Out (2nd one) = black port

Microphone = pink port

Line In = blue port

Since you have speakers plugged into each port, I'm not sure which output source is appropriate. Maybe there is a different driver needed to send the signal to all three ports at the same time. Maybe something like Soundflower.

I would use iTunes to play something. Then try each output source. That's how I discovered which source goes to each port.

Thanks JezJ! That debug AppleHDA from the x99 DMG works! I am glad that it works but it sucks I've had to resort to a 3rd party kext in S/L/E I was hoping to keep the install Vanilla. I had to head back to work but do you happen to know if I put that kext in the clover kext's in EFI partition if it will override the "vanilla" AppleHDA in S/L/E? I'm going to give it a shot when I get home.

Maybe Toleda would like to try and get his cloverALC/realtekALC working with these boards? I'm will to help out any way I can!

Hey RedRogue, thanks for the input. I definitely tried any/all combinations to get sound out of the back outputs and well as the headphone output on the front of the case with no luck, that is until using the rampagedev kext from their x99 DMG.

EDIT* Toleda, I attached an IOReg with my system booted and working with the debug AppleHDA from rampagedev. I'm using the same clover config.plist from my other posts with AddDTGP, FixHDA and inject audio layout 1. Hope it helps.

Working_x99_ALC1150_IOReg.zip

From my experience, the port mapping is

See Post #1/More Information

1. Capabilities - Realtek ALC AppleHDA_v2 [Guide].pdf

3. Screenshots - Realtek ALC AppleHDA_v2.pdf

using the rampagedev kext from their x99 DMG.

Attach the working AppleHDA.kext, config.plist and installed ssdts.

Attach the working AppleHDA.kext, config.plist and installed ssdts.

No SSDT, No DSDT. Just "AddDTGP", "FixHDA" and inject audio layout 1 with clover.

the working AppleHDA.kext and my current config.plist is in the attached archive.

I just started to look at the working kext it appears to be one of yours "2.6.3-toledaALC1150" though I don't know if it has been modified.

Archive.zip

appears to be one of yours "2.6.3-toledaALC1150"

Yes; 10.9.5 1150 AppleHDA.kext with the audio_alc_x99-hda-100_patch.command patch

For current AppleHDA.kext:

1. Install native AppleHDA.kext (see Desktop/audio_ALC1150-10.10.4/AppleHDA-orig.kext)

2. Run audio_realtekALC-110_patch.command

3. Run audio_alc_x99-hda-100_patch.command

4. Restart

• 3 weeks later...

Im setting up a new Mackintosh, and the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H) says it has a Realtek ALC887 codec (Audio Device 0x80868CA0, Sub Device 0x1458A182) . On my older system, I have used the realtekALC script and it worked wonders and I was able to have sound, on this system not so much. The script is giving me errors: I have tried realtekALC and cloverALC with no success.

Last login: Tue Aug  4 16:28:00 on ttys000[/size]
Nathans-Mac-mini:~ dave$ /Users/dave/Downloads/audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0d.command ; exit;

Agreement
The audio_cloverALC-110 script is for personal use only. Do not distribute
for any reason without permission. The audio_cloverALC-110 script is

/Users/dave/Downloads/audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0d.command: line 50: csrutil: command not found

File: audio_cloverALC-110.command_v1.0d

EFI partition is mounted

Boot/Arguments = kext-dev-mode=1 found

No audio codec detected

logout

[Process completed]

For some reason it can't find csrutil, and the bin isn't on my old Mac either, ideas? 

Hi Toleda

I tried using your method of Injection with Clover and editing the config.plist and then running the 110 command script. It loaded everything fine and I have devices showing up in the preferences, just no audio playback - youtube videos don't play at all, songs don't play on iTunes - the playback bar doesn't even move in any program with audio - it's like a codec is missing or something...

Using Yosemite 10.10.4

Gigabyte X99 UD4P

BIOS version F2a

i7 5820K

MSI GTX 970

Please help me out! I've been trying to get audio working for weeks now - I feel like I am so close!!

Toledo, you are the hero I need!!!

(I've attached as many report logs and screenshots as I could, I hope they are enough)

DaleSnail Error Report 2015.08.08.zip

For some reason it can't find csrutil, and the bin isn't on my old Mac either, ideas? 

My mistake, csrutil is in 10.11. The error is not fatal; the script ran and says no codec.  The device_id is the Intel HDMI codec. Realtek codec device_id is 10ec0887.  Figure out why OS X does not see the codec.

no audio playback - 

OS X does not support X99 audio device_id.  See Post #1/Change Log/X99...

The X99 patch is missing.

OS X does not support X99 audio device_id.  See Post #1/Change Log/X99...

The X99 patch is missing.

Ah thanks a lot! I didn't see that.

So i added that patch to my config.plist, still not working - can I just run that command 110 again or do I have to reset everything first?

And would just restarting with a fresh config.plist be a good enough reset?

Also command 110 is just the newer version of command 100 right? Or am I mistaken....

Sorry for all the questions, I couldn't find the info sprawling these forums -so many messages and I don't think I've quite figured the search function out yet  :blush: 

So i added that patch to my config.plist, still not working - can I just run that command 110 again or do I have to reset everything first?

Also command 110 is just the newer version of command 100 right? Or am I mistaken....

You can run the command as many times as your like; if it finds a problem that likely results in a no audio outcome, the script exits without modifying any files.  No audio codec is a good reason not to patch anything.  Verify BIOS is set with Optimized Defaults.  See Post #1, Problem Reporting.

100  supports 10.10, 10. 9 and 10.8 and 110 supports 10.11 plus all versions 100 supports.

Thanks Toleda!

I got it to work!   :D

The x99 patch didn't do it, but I spotted DaMadOne's posts just a few above this and I got success using the AppleHDA patch that comes with the DevRampage x99 download (which I believe is your work too).

I didn't use any of the patch script commands just the AddDTGP, FixHDA and inject audio layout 1 in my config.plist.

I'm not sure why this combination works and not the other one, I saw your reply to DaMadOne and it seems to indicate that this is an older AppleHDA version and your patch fixes are for a newer one? Is there any downside to using this AppleHDA patch method?

My 5.1 speakers are just rooted to the wrong outputs at the moment, although I'm sure there's a way to fix this. (If you can point me in the right direction to finding a solution I'd appreciate that)

But thanks so much for all your work and your quick replies :)  I can see why people say insanelymac is the best website for hackintosh 

Looks like I jumped the gun a little... 

Turns out it's not a just matter of configuring 5.1 - I found the how to in your original guide - sorry about missing that, but yeah I tried setting up 5.1 in the midi setup through an aggregate device but the audio only comes out of one port...

I think it may be that it should be audio layout 2 and not 1. Going to try inject layout 2 and will report back here how it goes.. 

And i was so close..

Okay I've found a semi fix: using sound flower to emulate sound out of all my speakers. 

Works well enough as a fix, although still is a bit buggy at times. Think I'm going to still order an external sound card just so I can have the best sound quality.

But still great to have sound actually coming out my mac.

Thanks for all your help Toleda! 

I have an Asus Z97-K/CSM motherboard with Realtek ALC887/888B, Rev0x302 audio (Audio ID=2).  I am running OS X 10.10.5.  At this time with native AppleHDA.kext/AppleHDAController.kext, I have no audio devices displaying in System Preferences.  I am using DSDT.aml that was extracted using a bootable/trial version of Ubuntu 15.04.  The system boots with Chameleon.

I am interested in applying the procedure in the Guide "How to add HDEF/kext" in order to see if I can enable audio, however the procedure requirements limit the OS X version to Mavericks.  My question is this:  Will this procedure work for Yosemite?  If not, given the hardware and software present, can you recommend a procedure that will help me get audio to work?  Thanks for your consideration.

Will this procedure work for Yosemite?  If not, given the hardware and software present, can you recommend a procedure that will help me get audio to work?

Procedure applies to all versions; 10.6 and newer.  The edit is not required as HDEF is present in the Z97-K dsdt.  See Post #1, Problem Reporting, attach all requested files.