can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Yes, both of my legacy machines have the boot logo:

I get a white screen with Apple logo and the progress bar underneath in Yosemite DP2 - legacy boot on my old BIOS based laptop using either Clover r2721 or Chameleon_2.2svn_r2380_10.10_CBv2.  I use a MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and the progress bar goes the entire way to completion to the log in screen like in this youtube video.

The photo in my previous post is of my Dell XPSm1530 booting Yosemite DP2...

Nothing special done in my configs - these are already listed in the Clover config thread:

For the XPSm1530/nVidia 8600GT see here.  Just enabled Graphics Injection to Yes in config.plist to get native 1440x900 panel resolution.

For desktop GAP55aUD3/XFX Radeon 5770 see here.  I had to set

<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>

to get native resolution 1980x1200 at the Clover menu.

• Like 1

Yes, both of my legacy machines have the boot logo:

I get a white screen with Apple logo and the progress bar underneath in Yosemite DP2 - legacy boot on my old BIOS based laptop using either Clover r2721 or Chameleon_2.2svn_r2380_10.10_CBv2.  I use a MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and the progress bar goes the entire way to completion to the log in screen like in this youtube video.

The photo in my previous post is of my Dell XPSm1530 booting Yosemite DP2...

Nothing special done in my configs - these are already listed in the Clover config thread:

For the XPSm1530/nVidia 8600GT see here.  Just enabled Graphics Injection to Yes in config.plist to get native 1440x900 panel resolution.

For desktop GAP55aUD3/XFX Radeon 5770 see here.  I had to set

<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>

to get native resolution 1980x1200 at the Clover menu.

Lucky man... :))

Getting the display's native resolution might not be the only thing.... Could it be because we're booting in UEFI mode? Is the boot logo displayed only for legacy boot? I got clover to display the menu in native resolution (or at least it looks like it) and still I get no Apple logo.

Here's what I did in config.plist. I suppose that's what I needed to do. With the only mention that I put Inject Nvidia just to be there. I actually get the same result without that since my video card is officially supported.

post-1303722-0-50400500-1404362293_thumb.png

• Like 1

@arsradu,

I think you are correct.

Getting your panel to display at its native resolution during early boot is only one piece of the puzzle and I agree that UEFI vs legacy boot is important.  I think most PC graphics cards still have old style video BIOS designed to be compatible with legacy BIOS booting.

@pico joe mentioned he was using the CsmVideoDxe-64.efi driver when booting in UEFI mode (this unlocks VBIOS and makes available "hidden" resolutions while UEFI booting).

Obviously, Apple's video cards are designed to work with EFI firmware and displaying at the screen's native resolution during an EFI boot....

Edit

@arsradu

I think the output connection used may also be a factor in whether you see the logo or not - my desktop monitor is connected to the video card via DVI & DP.  I remember from a previous post you said

"I'm still with D-sub since my monitor doesn't support DVI (it's an old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 943NW)."

• Like 1

@arsradu,

I think you are correct.

Getting your panel to display at its native resolution during early boot is only one piece of the puzzle and I agree that UEFI vs legacy boot is important.  I think most PC graphics cards still have old style video BIOS designed to be compatible with legacy BIOS booting.

Obviously, Apple's video cards are designed to work with EFI firmware and displaying at the screen's native resolution during an EFI boot....

Well...I tried our theory (legacy boot). And UEFI or legacy, I still get no Apple logo. I do get the native resolution (which is pretty cool), by adding that EDID and patching VBIOS, but no logo. I also tried with and without the CsmVideoDxe-64.efi. And got the same result.

The USB stick that I used was formatted for MBR (since, for legacy, we don't need an EFI partition). Same as for Chameleon. So, for this case, you could say that I booted up in legacy mode, and loaded the system in EFI mode (since my Yosemite partition is designed to work with the EFI partition on my HDD), but since I was booting up from the USB stick, I'm pretty sure it ignored the EFI partition anyway. :)

So yeah, if the resolution has anything to do with this issue (looks nice though, so thank you very much for that :) ), it's only half of the puzzle.

• Like 1

Edit

@arsradu

I think the output connection used may also be a factor in whether you see the logo or not - my desktop monitor is connected to the video card via DVI & DP.  I remember from a previous post you said

"I'm still with D-sub since my monitor doesn't support DVI (it's an old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 943NW)."

You're right, man. I did say that. My video card supports DVI and D-sub, but the display only supports D-sub. But...I could try using an adapter and see what happens. See if it makes any difference.

Update

The story gets more bizaare!

Up to this point, I had the -v boot argument set in the config.plist for both my Yosemite installations (laptop & desktop, for diagnostic purposes).

With -v, there are 2 phases in the boot process

1. Verbose white text on black background

2. Grey Apple logo on white screen with grey loader going from start to finish before seeing the login screen (refer to my screenshot post#100)

When I removed the -v argument from the config.plist and booted normally without any options, the boot process looks completely different

There are still 2 phases but colours are now inverted

1. Black screen with white loader but no Apple logo.  The loader goes from start to about half way...

2. The screen refreshes and a white Apple logo appears on the black screen.  The white loader progresses only a fraction from half way (before it can complete filling all the way to the right), and then the login screen suddenly appears.

How's that for weirdness :o:blink::shock:

I might stick with the -v in my boot arguments, both for diagnostic and cosmetic reasons :).

• Like 1

Update

Up to this point, I had the -v boot argument set in the config.plist for both my Yosemite installations (laptop & desktop, for diagnostic purposes).

2. Grey Apple logo on white screen with grey loader going from start to finish before seeing the login screen (refer to my screenshot post#100)

When I removed the -v argument from the config.plist and booted normally without any options, the boot process looks completely different

1. Black screen with white loader but no Apple logo.  The loader goes from start to about half way...

2. The screen refreshes and a white Apple logo appears on the black screen.  The white loader progresses only a fraction from half way (before it can complete filling all the way to the right), and then the login screen suddenly appears.

I might stick with the -v in my boot arguments, both for diagnostic and cosmetic reasons :).

Hmm...that is very interesting. I usually boot in normal mode. I don't like booting in verbose mode if I don't have anything to investigate/debug. I don't really enjoy seeing a bunch of text rolling on my screen. :)) But that is really interesting, as verbose mode is for diagnostic purposes only...for as far as I know. I mean...it only helps you see what's wrong with the boot process, in case there is something wrong with it. But it shouldn't affect the functionality.

yes, booting in verbose show the animation, but it's screen size its still wrong,

i applied the connector-type patch suggested by download fritz, and even tried injecting a fixed edid and patchvbios, i always had native resolution in Clover but never seen an apple logo during boot of Yosemite...

here a screen of the actual situation: (everything is done with photoshop, not a real screenshot)

post-221766-0-78634400-1404391351_thumb.jpg

Guys, seriously? Is it that hard to read? So, once more...

@fusion71au You get the boot logo with Chameleon in legacy mode? Nice! Could be because Chameleon renders it as I said a few times already. Legacy vs UEFI boot is important because in legacy mode Apple's loader doesn't render anything (because it isn't even loaded) while all is done by the loader of your choice (Chameleon in this example). In UEFI mode these render nothing and Apple's loader does the job. Furthermore it's nice how you first say you got the Apple logo to show up for the whole boot process and then tell us that you had -v in which makes that impossible. It most likely shows the light boot screen because it doesn't bother to check which to display in text-only mode.

@JahStories I never suggested a "connector-type" patch, I said that you need to set that property ("AAPL,boot-display) for the right or for all connectors. I mentioned "connector-type" as this property is set for all connectors if the DSDT is properly made, so you can see the amount of connectors. "connector-type" is useless if you want the boot logo to show up. If you still don't get what I mean, I talk about the part before... "@0,AAPL,boot-display". "@0" is the first and only the first, I needed to set it for @2 if I remember correctly, I set it for all however.

@Download-Fritz

Does the port (DVI or VGA) have anything to do with this? I don't have DVI-D to VGA adapter and the monitor is VGA only...so it would be pretty much impossible to test that on DVI right now. But anyway...is your monitor connected via DVI?

Also, how do I establish which port/connector is the right one? For example, I would like to set that property "AAPL,boot-display" for the VGA port of my dedicated video card. How do I know which port is that? The GTX 650 has 3 ports, right? A DVI-D, a D-sub (VGA) and a HDMI. Should I try setting this up for all of them? And if so, where exactly do I need to do that? It might sound really easy and intuitive to you, but I never done that before so I have no idea what to do and how to do it. So would you mind sharing your knowledge? Is the software you used to edit those values IORegistryExplorer? Which software is that? Can I add exactly the same things you did for yourself (since we've got the same video card)?

Update

See I knew you didn't really have the 'boot logo'. I have tried with a GOP GFX card, a real Apple GFX card and a VBIOS GFX card, all same results. I tried DVI/HDMI/VGA and even DP connectors. I tried with/without inject EDID etc. I allways get native display resolution. Still no boot logo.

I still do not understand however why my 2nd stage is so different from everyone else. I do in fact get that same screen everyone is talking about with the loading bar and apple logo but is barley visible for a second, it does not show progress from start to finish.

@download-fritz

Please, as i said before, can you be more detailed about these dsdt edits?

or at least share a link with some documentation about it.

Thanks

@JahStories There is no documentation. The source of the edit is Slice (with his clover config edit) and the DSDT edit itself was hand-done by me. All you need to do is placing the blocks I showed to you with all connectors set (I did it for @0 to @3 because that's just how the connector-types are set in DSDT) in the proper DSDT region (PCI0 -> PEGP -> GFX0 for me). You know what needs to be added, you even saw an example of how it was added, now just add it yourself! I definitely won't make a DSDT patch or something like that... I tried to explain anything properly related to why the apple might not be present at first, why it is present at second for some, what Slice intended with his snippet, why Chameleon shows the logo and all that, but simply nobody bothered to properly read and anything was rolled up again along with false information, so I won't do that effort for the DSDT edit. My only source for the edit was Slice's post. Sorry for sounding rude or something, but what I provided was ignored, so I won't provide any more stuff not necessary.

@arsradu You can't edit IOReg itself, you need to edit DSDT. Use MaciASL for that. Just add what I added (4 blocks of "AAPL,boot-display", ignore the rest).

• Like 1

@arsradu You can't edit IOReg itself, you need to edit DSDT. Use MaciASL for that. Just add what I added (4 blocks of "AAPL,boot-display", ignore the rest).

Cool. Thanks, man. I'll try that when I get home and I'll let you know. :)

Why are you guys posting boot vids of real macs? We do know what a real mac booting Yosemite looks like :D

It seems some people are confused about how it is 
a boot "real mac" some have the logo only in the second stage of the boot 
then posting the video to clarify a few things for them.

ALL real macs have the logo in both stages, not just some. Not sure where the confusion is or why we need to see the 'real' boot sequence over and over as if you had been following this thread, its been posted several times already.

BTW I have not seen anyone say they were confused about the boot sequence, they all seem to know they are missing the logo from the 1st stage.

• Like 1

@JahStories

...All you need to do is placing the blocks I showed to you with all connectors set (I did it for @0 to @3 because that's just how the connector-types are set in DSDT) in the proper DSDT region (PCI0 -> PEGP -> GFX0 for me). 

and that's what i've called "connector type patch".

And it doesn't help, at least for me.

p.s. 

easy on :D

we are here to have fun!

• Like 1

Hey, man

So, two questions I've got:

1. How do I Save, and not Save as.... in MaciASL? Seems that Save or Save as... actually do the same thing: pop-up for a location to save a file (.dsl ?). I saved the one attached to this post, but not sure what should I do with it or if I did a good job in applying those changes.

2. Where do I need to put this? I mean..since apparently I can't "override" what's already there, how do I actually take advantage of these changes?

Also, I've attached a screenshot of what I've done, in case you wanna take a look at it.

System DSDT.zip

post-1303722-0-91724200-1404408246_thumb.png

ALL real macs have the logo in both stages, not just some. Not sure where the confusion is or why we need to see the 'real' boot sequence over and over as if you had been following this thread, its been posted several times already.

BTW I have not seen anyone say they were confused about the boot sequence, they all seem to know they are missing the logo from the 1st stage.

It maybe you're right, one of a video of a boot 
Real Mac so can give us hope ... :hysterical:  
but you have something new to tell us about the tests 
who performed with a graphics card Apple?