can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

This is the one we don't see in Yosemite, unless we put a fake id which disables graphics acceleration.

In yosemite I don't get any apple logo, but with fake id I get the 2. logo.

By faking a wrong id I see the logo much earlier (before the bar is half filled) than I normally do on a regular boot where it appears almost at the same time as the desktop. Maybe it's just a matter of boot speed as it's probably slower to react without graphics acceleration.

As far as i understood, in yosemite the real boot process is being counted by the first half of the progress bar, then the 2° apple logo and the last part of the animation count the loading from "the window manager" to the desktop or login screen.

This is not Yosemite problem. I also see on different computers 2nd logo will appear or not in 10.7 or in 10.9.

I think it may depends on which connector (in terms of Radeon) will play first.

This is not Yosemite problem. I also see on different computers 2nd logo will appear or not in 10.7 or in 10.9.

I think it may depends on which connector (in terms of Radeon) will play first.

yes .. the white apple logo only appear in my main display ... not in the secondary display ... 

The Apple bot logo will only show up, or should I say should only show up, on the frame buffer where property "AAPL,boot-display" is set. This is done by one of these binaries:

AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul
AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB
ATIFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMDFramebuffer
Binary file ./IOGraphicsFamily.kext/IOGraphicsFamily
Binary file ./IONDRVSupport.kext/IONDRVSupport

You can check this by looking at IOFrameBuffer.cpp:

http://opensource.apple.com/source/IOGraphics/IOGraphics-471.1/IOGraphicsFamily/IOFramebuffer.cpp

This new version also reveals some other interesting bits:

void IOFramebuffer::initialize()
{
    OSDictionary * matching;
    OSIterator * iter;

gIOFBServerInit = true;
    gIOFBBlackBoot = (0 != (kBootArgsFlagBlack & ((boot_args *) PE_state.bootArgs)->flags));
    if (gIOFBBlackBoot) gIOFBGrayValue = 0;

Also note the kIOFBBootGammaRestoredKey (boot-gamma-restored) and boot-gamma (NVRAM data). Stuff that I researched for RevoUEFI.

p.s. boot.efi is the real boot loader for people using Clover. Clover is only a UEFI setup changer.

Hope this helps ;)

• Like 1

In this case I may propose the follow in Clover's config.plist

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<string>IntelGFX</string>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>@0,AAPL,boot-display</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>AQAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

Anybody want to test?

I already(a week ago) tried to inject "@0,AAPL,boot-display" via DSDT.aml file and it injects (so it appears in ioreg properly) but no change on the bootscreen.

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>AQAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

Anybody want to test?

And for nvidia the offboard injection?

I believe the release binaries are:

Binary file./IOGraphicsFamily.kext/IOGraphicsFamily

Binary file./IONDRVSupport.kext/IONDRVSupport

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>AQAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

Anybody want to test?

Didn't work for me.

Oh, and that says Intel GFX, I have ATI.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>AQAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

Anybody want to test?

In my case it won't work. I have Z68X-UD3-B3 without possibility to use Intel graphics. Could you please advise, how to use the above method for GTX660Ti (connected via DP)?

Devices			AddProperties									Device				IntelGFX				Key				@0,AAPL,boot-display				Value				AQAAAA==
Anybody want to test?

If it works with my i5 4570 built-in video (Intel HD Graphics 4600), I'll give it a try tonight, though I hate the built-in video. It sucks. But I'll give it a try.

Otherwise, I would also like to know what to try for my dedicated video card (if there is a way).

Update:

I tried it. After injecting that into config.plist, the OS doesn't boot up anymore (it hangs in the middle of loading). It never reaches the login screen. And it doesn't seem to matter if the dedicated or the onboard video is active at that time. It doesn't boot with either one of them active.

I added that on the bootable USB stick (so that I can still boot from the HDD normally). And I tried booting into Yosemite.

In case I might have done something wrong, I attached the whole config.plist file that I used to boot. Let me know if anything.

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for the "Fake ID-guys" to rediscover what I said on page 1 about the graphics acceleration, at least we now know what it looks like...

Seriously now, thanks to Slice for your tip! I added that property with an empty value to my DSDT (yes, hard-coded, no Clover injection) and I pretty much achived now what was achieved with the Fake ID, beside that the graphics acceleration works. :)

Here a cut video (yes, I wanted to save you from that long boot): http://1drv.ms/1lPkjwk

I still don't get why boot.efi refuses to draw the boot logo as the kernel is obviously in the mood to do so. Anyways, thanks again Slice. Even if it sound ironicly, it's really a huge deal for me as the transition between black, grey and the picture was eye-burning.

Guys, could you tell me how to change gtx 660 ti dp port numer? When booting to Yosemite, my active display is NVDA,Display-@3 (port number 3). Is there a possibility to force the system to recognize it as the main display? I suppose display3 is treated as the secondary one...

DarwinDumper logs are here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2035061

Thanks for the "Fake ID-guys" to rediscover what I said on page 1 about the graphics acceleration, at least we now know what it looks like...

Seriously now, thanks to Slice for your tip! I added that property with an empty value to my DSDT (yes, hard-coded, no Clover injection) and I pretty much achived now what was achieved with the Fake ID, beside that the graphics acceleration works. :)

Here a cut video (yes, I wanted to save you from that long boot): http://1drv.ms/1lPkjwk

I still don't get why boot.efi refuses to draw the boot logo as the kernel is obviously in the mood to do so. Anyways, thanks again Slice. Even if it sound ironicly, it's really a huge deal for me as the transition between black, grey and the picture was eye-burning.

What property did you inject? You mean AAPL,boot-display?

Finally .. get back the apple logo :) at my Nvidia

1. inject Edid & patch vbios

2. Custom Edid

3. add meter=0 (optional) ... thanks pike

this my video

Could you be so kind and post a tutorial or something on how to do it? I mean, what tools did you use, where do you need to make changes, how do you inject Edid, how do you patch vbios? Your video looks almost (if not identical) to a real Mac. So congrats for that.

But could you please, share your knowledge?

A video tutorial would be awesome. But a written one would work just as good.

I've got a GTX 650. Will this method work for me? Will it work for Mavericks as well? If the answer is "I don't know", I'm willing to try it out once I know what exactly do I have to do to make it work.

It's simple my friends, use Darwin Dumper to dump Edid .. then fill the "edid value" in Custom Edid and check inject edid and patch vbios (clover configurator), oops almost forget fill Display-cfg too

It's simple my friends, use Darwin Dumper to dump Edid .. then fill the "edid value" in Custom Edid and check inject edid and patch vbios (clover configurator), oops almost forget fill Display-cfg too

CustomEdid.tiff

• Like 2

attachicon.gifCustomEdid.tiff

Ok, I got it. But where do we get the Display-cfg value that you put in there for your case?

I know the fix, pico, as well as the much easier png fix for Chameleon, but you seem to have missed my point, which is: with the meter bar, we need not to worry anymore, besides it also being cool IMO. Again, great work for the grey Apple lovers, and even for my benefit if I miss the old looks some day.

All the best!

• Like 1

Display-cfg found at clover wiki or projectosx , in my case customizing Edid + CsmVideo (driver64Uefi) fix apple logo too means no stretched

Well, to me, with or without EDID inject...I still get nothing. Only the loading bar which is filling up only half way, after that, I get a white screen with the same loading bar, for about two seconds, and then the login screen. So not sure what I'm doing wrong.