can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

aren't we free to spend our time as we desire?

i like OS X visual effects, and the welcome one is lovely...

and yes i want to try fixing it....

and actually @0 AAPL,boot-display helped, but not completely, 

the animation is perfect if autoboot is disabled...

if enabled it's as in the picture....

and if the apple were black on black why isn't the progress bar showing there?

post-221766-0-87159700-1409314357.png

Before patching i didn't had the third screen you see in the picture at all and i had not showing Apple logo with login screen enabled too...

Sorry, where the hell do we need to add that value? :))

Is it Clover? Is it Chameleon? Where?

In your particular case, it looks like you need that second stage boot to either come earlier, or last longer so that the animation can finish nicely. It probably just doesn't get to show the second stage loading cause it already spent most of that time "in the dark", sort of speak. Meaning in between the two stages. I'm not an expert and anyone with more knowledge than me (which is most likely everyone else :)) ) is welcome to provide more accurate information on this, but from my point of view, the whole boot process (or maybe just the second stage) is set to take place in a certain amount of time (not sure if that's intended or not). And, in your case, you just got too little time for the animation to load everything. So, to you, it's gonna be like a flashing snapshot of the second stage boot and then the desktop screen. It's like..."oh, you said you wanted animation and Apple logo for the second stage? Well I forgot about those. Here they are now."

But there is no time left to show the whole thing nicely. So it's showing what the time allows it to show. I don't know... This is probably not the case. But this is what it looks like. It looks like you've got a second stage boot, but it's a delayed one.

Before patching i didn't had the third screen you see in the picture at all and i had not showing Apple logo with login screen enabled too...

Where the put @0 AAPL,boot-display?In DSDT or .....?

Ehm. How many times do I need to say this? You don't see the Apple logo simply because the first stage (boot.efi) and second stage (kernel) failed to display it. For whatever reason. All you can do now is patch the IOGraphicsFamily binary to make the third stage show it, but you got to wonder why boot.efi and the kernel didn't do it already. Not having a AAPL,boot-display property is just one of the signals that something is wrong. Fix that with this and you will see that Apple logo ;)

that's was and it's working for me only on the surface pro with hd4000 

not on my desktop with my gtx780

@ekica, arsradu

if you have problems patching the dsdt ask to mirone via PM...

all too much emphases on this issue that most people don't understand to begin with.. move on already and enjoy the actual OS.

Speak for yourself and not for other people. Even if that means that you have to read posts from people who like things to be fixed. Something that the Clover developers apparently fail to fix.

Which boot loader you use?

I use RevoBoot and another unreleased product called RevoUEFI, but this isn't about RevoBoot/RevoUEFI because I want you to use Clover. Why? Because I do not have the time to support it.

I'm not a clover dev but i think that yosemite is in beta still but i don't understad why all you who can develop or code dont try to help each other so more problems get resolved easily and faster.

That is exactly what I did for Chameleon and I am trying to do here.

I use RevoBoot and another unreleased product called RevoUEFI, but this isn't about RevoBoot/RevoUEFI because I want you to use Clover. Why? Because I do not have the time to support it.

I hope that you will soon expel you RevoUEFI boot loader!!!!!

That is exactly what I did for Chameleon and I am trying to do here.

can you pm me that revoUEFI i love to try it 

post-221766-0-87159700-1409314357.png

What do you mean - the animation is perfect if autoboot is disabled? Which autoboot?

Can you reproduce the exact changes that solve the situation described in your photos?

--

Where the put @0 AAPL,boot-display?In DSDT or .....?

Many options, simplest is config.plist:

(By the way, it makes sense to do it only with Inject nvidia disabled, as if it is enabled, that property is already being added... But nvidia injection doesn't seem to be really needed anymore with latest OS drivers)

<key>Graphics</key>
        <dict>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
        <key>Devices</key>
        <dict>
                <key>AddProperties</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Device</key>
                                <string>NVidia</string>
                                <key>Key</key>
                                <string>@0,AAPL,boot-display</string>
                                <key>Value</key>
                                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                        </dict>
                </array>
  • Like 2

Many options, simplest is config.plist:

(By the way, it makes sense to do it only with Inject nvidia disabled, as if it is enabled, that property is already being added... But nvidia injection doesn't seem to be really needed anymore with latest OS drivers)

<key>Graphics</key>
        <dict>
                <key>Inject</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>NVidia</key>
                        <false/>
                </dict>
        <key>Devices</key>
        <dict>
                <key>AddProperties</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>Device</key>
                                <string>NVidia</string>
                                <key>Key</key>
                                <string>@0,AAPL,boot-display</string>
                                <key>Value</key>
                                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                        </dict>
                </array>

1. Finally! Someone cared enough to post an answer to this. Thank you!

2. Adding @0,AAPL,boot-display as property or setting the nVidia Injection to true, made no difference whatsoever to me. I still got only the first stage boot, perfectly fine, and only the loading bar, with no logo, for the second stage boot.

1. Finally! Someone cared enough to post an answer to this. Thank you!

2. Adding @0,AAPL,boot-display as property or setting the nVidia Injection to true, made no difference whatsoever to me. I still got only the first stage boot, perfectly fine, and only the loading bar, with no logo, for the second stage boot.

Can you see Clover, and the 1st boot logo at native resolution ?

If i don't set the native display resolution on clovers gui, it displays also only the progress bar without logo on second boot stage

• Like 1

Can you see Clover, and the 1st boot logo at native resolution ?

If i don't set the native display resolution on clovers gui, it displays also only the progress bar without logo on second boot stage

I can. But I'm talking about the second stage boot logo. The first one is ok anyway. And even if I set the native resolution manually in Clover's GUI section (though it doesn't make much sense if it's already detected fine), I still have no second stage boot logo.

the animation is perfect if autoboot is disabled… if enabled it's as in the picture....

The progress bar may be grey as well. Pretty difficult to spot on a black background, but like I said in one of my earlier replies here; it has yet to be determined if this is the case.

mhhh i've discovered a strange thing, 

if the hackintosh is completely shut down, the first boot is graphically perfect, as a mac.

but if i reboot or reset the machine, the little glitch, shown in the picture, is there...

Pb2Bootsequence.mov  :)

it's obviously just a minor graphical issue!

just wondering what's causing it....

mhhh i've discovered a strange thing, 

if the hackintosh is completely shut down, the first boot is graphically perfect, as a mac.

but if i reboot or reset the machine, the little glitch, shown in the picture, is there...

look at this video :)

it's obviously just a minor graphical issue!

just wondering what's causing it....

Would love to see your video, but it doesn't seem to be accessible. At least not to me.

post-1303722-0-68894500-1409509665_thumb.png

sorry, fixed.

Yep, now it works.

Well, that is interesting. You've got first boot stage ok. But for the second stage, you've got:

1. in normal mode: mouse cursor + logo + loading bar.

2. in reboot mode: mouse cursor + about 2 seconds of pause, logo + loading bar for a split of a second (since there is no more time to display everything properly).

It looks like, in reboot, it's taking more time to perform a certain task than in normal boot.

And the question is why. I personally don't have any difference between regular boot and reboot. But I don't have the logo either. In neither of the two cases. By the way, does it make any difference whatsoever if the video card is connected to the monitor via DVI/HDMI/VGA (aka D-sub)? I mean in terms of the logo being displayed or not and in terms of the weird behavior that you're encountering between normal boot and reboot.

By the way, does it make any difference whatsoever if the video card is connected to the monitor via DVI/HDMI/VGA (aka D-sub)? I mean in terms of the logo being displayed or not and in terms of the weird behavior that you're encountering between normal boot and reboot.

seems to me that yes, Apple does not use VGA (D-Sub).

seems to me that yes, Apple does not use VGA (D-Sub).

It might be so, but they don't use DVI/HDMI either, for as far as I know. They're using Thunderbolt. Which, for as far as I could understand, is backwards compatible, via an adapter, with all the other standards. Including VGA. So should I try buying a DVI-D to VGA or HDMI to VGA adapter? Will that make any difference?

Isn't a bit strange that the rest of the operating system is functioning as it should, via VGA, but only the logo, for the second stage boot, is not loading?

Also, another question is: since the loading bar (for the second stage) is displayed just fine, shouldn't the logo be as well? I mean, you can't display a simple image in analog? I don't know... I wish that someone with both DVI/HDMI and VGA on their monitors (and video cards, of course) could test this theory.

I have to say that i have the same problem as arsradu and i have the clover patch for IOGraphicsFamily and the kext from this post but the problem remains the same and i don't think we are the only ones with that as yosemite is still in beta and many people have not tested yet.