can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Wow many thanks :) I have a couple of questions/remarks

I use Clover Configurator.

I have enabled inject Intel now

How can I get/generate those fields? (Clover Configurator didn't generate them) and Googling couldn't find much!

I unchecked FixFirewire because I don't have Firewire :) But I have enabled it again.

Yeah if you can help me with EDID I will be grateful because I have no idea :(

In SMBIOS section:

Your Board Serial Number is composed by your Serial Number (in your case: CK937GDOXYL) + 5 random characters.

For example: CK937GDOXYL12345

The SmUUID is automatically generated by Clover (if I'm not mistaken) and you can find it by clicking the Apple logo on the top left corner, then going to About This Mac -> System Report... -> Hardware UUID. That's your SmUUID. You can copy-paste that in the SmUUID field in SMBIOS.

For a good functionality of iMessage, I would recommend never changing these values, unless you really have to.

For EDID, you will need:

You will need to:

• Run DarwinDumper, choose Deselect All Dumps (you'll only need one) and check EDID in the list. Then click Run. You should see some cool highlighted rows saying Completed and stuff like that.
This will create a folder called DarwinDumperReports. Open up all of its subfolders until you find one that's called EDID. Inside it, you'll find your EDID.hex file.

2. Run Hex Fiend, go to File (on the panel) -> Open File... (or do the Command key + O if you're using a Mac keyboard, or Start + O, if you're using a keyboard with Windows layout), browse to the EDID folder that you found above and select the EDID.hex file. You should see a bunch of letters and numbers. That's your hexa code.

After that, go to File -> Save As... -> edit the extension of the file into EDID.txt (just replace "hex" with "txt"), select the destination of the file and click Save. This will create a EDID.txt file at your chosen location.

3. Open up the EDID.txt file, select the entire text and copy it.

4. Open Clover Configurator, load your config.plist (the one that you're planning on modifying), go to Graphics, and paste the text you copied above, in the "Custom EDID [HEX]" field. Save the config.plist.

You might also need to check the checkbox for Patch VBios. In my particular case, it works fine without it, so first I would try without it.

Also, I think you might want to remove the fixed resolution that you set in the GUI section of Clover Configurator and save the changes.

If you've got other questions, I'm here to help. Or, at least, I'm gonna try to. :)

• Like 2

In SMBIOS section:

Your Board Serial 

[...]

Many thanks, 

Unfortunately still Clover boots into 1024x768 and so the Apple boot screen  :censored:

If I enable Patch VBIOS then it WILL boot in 1366x768 mode (according to my monitor) but the screen becomes garbled, stretched vertically (tried recalibrating the monitor) and neither OSX nor Windows will boot (black screen on both cases, in case of Mac after its (stretched) boot logo)

post-767483-0-12652000-1406145416_thumb.jpg

I will attach the new config.plist, maybe I have something wrong or overlooked!

config.plist 2.zip

Many thanks, 

Unfortunately still Clover boots into 1024x768 and so the Apple boot screen  :censored:

If I enable Patch VBIOS then it WILL boot in 1366x768 mode (according to my monitor) but the screen becomes garbled, stretched vertically (tried recalibrating the monitor) and neither OSX nor Windows will boot (black screen on both cases, in case of Mac after its (stretched) boot logo)

attachicon.gif2014-07-23 21.31.38.jpg

I will attach the new config.plist, maybe I have something wrong or overlooked!

In Kernel and Kext Patches, try to also check Apple RTC and Asus AICPUMP. I know these are default and they might not affect the functionality in any way. But, it's better to start from a less crowded/default config.plist and add features that you need, one by one, than remove what you think you don't need, then add stuff that you think you need and mess everything up. I did that....so I know. :)

Also, let's try checking the Inject EDID in Graphics, along with the Patch VBios option. As I said before, here is something I'm not very sure of, cause I only added the hex value and that's all I needed. Oh, and Inject Intel (though I'm using an nVidia Card). Aaaanyway...at least it works.

So let's try that.

If it doesn't work, let's try the default Clover config.plist, modified enough just so you can boot. And after that, gradually add only the EDID value. Leave Inject Intel as it is by default. Make a backup of your current config.plist somewhere safe.

Also, I would suggest shutting down the computer between tries, instead of rebooting it. I've got some weird issues if restarting vs booting from a complete shutdown. Issues like: I boot from the USB stick, I remove the stick, I reboot and it boots the USB's Clover bootloader, though the stick is not there anymore.  I think it might cache the last successful boot somehow and use that one. But if you need clean, unaltered results, I think Shutdown is the way to go.

Also, can you boot successfully in single user or verbose mode, with those tweaks in place? And are you using DP4? Using Clover 2774? Sorry if you already mentioned that before.

• Like 1

I actually have that same problem with the 6670 in my xps 720. I'm pretty sure it's because the vbios patch just doesn't work on this card. I'm going to try to extract it with rbe and patch it manually, I'll let you know if it's successful. I tried it before but I think I did it wrong. I'm not positive on this, but I think in order for the vbios patch to work you need a resolution that's close, for example if you need 1080p you might have a 1920 x some other number resolution in the bios. I don't have anything close so I think that's why it's not working.

• Like 1

In Kernel and Kext Patches, try to also check Apple RTC and Asus AICPUMP. I know these are default and they might not affect the functionality in any way. But, it's better to start from a less crowded/default config.plist and add features that you need, one by one, than remove what you think you don't need, then add stuff that you think you need and mess everything up. I did that....so I know. :)

Also, let's try checking the Inject EDID in Graphics, along with the Patch VBios option. As I said before, here is something I'm not very sure of, cause I only added the hex value and that's all I needed. Oh, and Inject Intel (though I'm using an nVidia Card). Aaaanyway...at least it works.

So let's try that.

If it doesn't work, let's try the default Clover config.plist, modified enough just so you can boot. And after that, gradually add only the EDID value. Leave Inject Intel as it is by default. Make a backup of your current config.plist somewhere safe.

Also, I would suggest shutting down the computer between tries, instead of rebooting it. I've got some weird issues if restarting vs booting from a complete shutdown. Issues like: I boot from the USB stick, I remove the stick, I reboot and it boots the USB's Clover bootloader, though the stick is not there anymore.  I think it might cache the last successful boot somehow and use that one. But if you need clean, unaltered results, I think Shutdown is the way to go.

Also, can you boot successfully in single user or verbose mode, with those tweaks in place? And are you using DP4? Using Clover 2774? Sorry if you already mentioned that before.

Many thanks again!  Yeah I have the DP4 and Clover 2774.

I enabled both inject EDID, inject Intel, VBIOS, as well as AppleRTC and AsusAICPUMP, tried shutting down the computer completely, still the distorted screen and unbootable OSes. Tomorrow (I will go to bed, I'm very sleepy and it's hard to work :) ) I will try to tinker with a default config.plist and add the EDID there. I won't give up yet  :)

PD: Do you both use a VGA monitor? could the issue be there?

Many thanks again! Yeah I have the DP4 and Clover 2774.

I enabled both inject EDID, inject Intel, VBIOS, as well as AppleRTC and AsusAICPUMP, tried shutting down the computer completely, still the distorted screen and unbootable OSes. Tomorrow (I will go to bed, I'm very sleepy and it's hard to work :) ) I will try to tinker with a default config.plist and add the EDID there. I won't give up yet :)

I'm using HDMI.

Many thanks again! Yeah I have the DP4 and Clover 2774.

I enabled both inject EDID, inject Intel, VBIOS, as well as AppleRTC and AsusAICPUMP, tried shutting down the computer completely, still the distorted screen and unbootable OSes. Tomorrow (I will go to bed, I'm very sleepy and it's hard to work :) ) I will try to tinker with a default config.plist and add the EDID there. I won't give up yet :)

I'm still using VGA. And I don't know... But I don't think that's the problem.

Well that didn't work. I found the resolution I needed to change, which was 80 07 a8 02 A0 05 (1920x1440) and changed it to 80 07 a8 02 38 04 (1920x1080) and then had Clover load it. It's possible it's not working because I have the card in my DSDT but I need it in there for HDMI to work. 

I have CsmVideoDxe-64.efi installed

Tried a clean config.plist and adding the EDID but no avail. I might just give up until another fix is coming. Maybe the HD5450 isn't fully supported but OS X works great, and recognizes the monitor's native resolution and model just fine.

I have CsmVideoDxe-64.efi installed

Tried a clean config.plist and adding the EDID but no avail. I might just give up until another fix is coming. Maybe the HD5450 isn't fully supported but OS X works great, and recognizes the monitor's native resolution and model just fine.

Try rebuilding caches and fix permissions maybe?

For this you've got two options:

1. Via UI, using Kext Wizard, for example. Google it. You'll find it for sure.

2. Via terminal commands:

sudo -s
[Your password]
rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/*
This command will remove your kextcache so that the system can rebuild it by itself on the next reboot.

diskutil repairPermissions /
This will repair permissions on the disk you are on right now. If you want to do it for another disk use:

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/the name of your disk
The disk needs to be bootable.

After any of these two methods, reboot.

Does it boot without the EDID?

• Like 1

Thank you again!

I've repaired permissions and rebuilt caches with kext wizard many times.

Yeah it boots without custom EDID and original IOGraphicsFamily, OS X still recognizes the monitor and its native resolution. But I can't see the second boot stage and clover is stuck at 1024x768.

Try rebuilding caches and fix permissions maybe?

For this you've got two options:

1. Via UI, using Kext Wizard, for example. Google it. You'll find it for sure.

2. Via terminal commands:

sudo -s
[Your password]
rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/*
This command will remove your kextcache so that the system can rebuild it by itself on the next reboot.

diskutil repairPermissions /
This will repair permissions on the disk you are on right now. If you want to do it for another disk use:

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/the name of your disk
The disk needs to be bootable.

After any of these two methods, reboot.

Does it boot without the EDID?

Thank you again!

I've repaired permissions and rebuilt caches with kext wizard many times.

Yeah it boots without custom EDID and original IOGraphicsFamily, OS X still recognizes the monitor and its native resolution. But I can't see the second boot stage and clover is stuck at 1024x768.

Maybe try without that kext (make a backup of it) or with its vanilla version (if it's a patched system kext)? Also, don't forget to rebuild caches and fix permissions after you do that.

I don't know what to say... I don't have this issue... But I'm not using any graphics kext either. I don't know. Maybe adding that EDID somehow interferes with whatever that kext does.

@Pene

I updated to REV2775, now so I see the Apple logo with no progress bar that in both partitions Windows/Mavericks and Yosemite, I always see the same screen the black background with white Apple logo.

Note: With the REV2758 just get a black screen until the login screen.

No Apple logo or progress bar.

@Pene

I updated to REV2775, now so I see the Apple logo with no progress bar that in both partitions Windows/Mavericks and Yosemite, I always see the same screen the black background with white Apple logo.

Note: With the REV2758 just get a black screen until the login screen.

No Apple logo or progress bar.

But did you try to set what I wrote? (CustomLogo=false) It should solve your problem. CustomLogo seems not needed anymore for DP4, and it should operate properly with CustomLogo=false.

Beware that it defaults to true for Yosemite if you don't specifically set it to false.

About the progress bar - CustomLogo (unless it is set to false) currently blocks the progress bar in latest revisions. We are waiting for apianti to address this.

@pene

at DP3 I could see only the progress bar with CustomLogo= false, in DP4 I just have a black screen until the login screen. the same happens with other revisions of clover.

Do you get black screen also if you use "-v"?

I did not see any other reports with this behaviour.

But anyway, there were some changes in boot.efi regarding Logo drawing, so for now, you can probably use boot.efi from DP3 instead, and you will get back old behavior.

Maybe try without that kext (make a backup of it) or with its vanilla version (if it's a patched system kext)? Also, don't forget to rebuild caches and fix permissions after you do that.

I don't know what to say... I don't have this issue... But I'm not using any graphics kext either. I don't know. Maybe adding that EDID somehow interferes with whatever that kext does.

Yeah now I use the vanilla version, with Boss Kittipos patched one my system won't display the desktop.

@Derek12

why this is not in your config.plist?

<key>GUI</key>

<dict>

<key>ScreenResolution</key>

<string>1366x768</string>

</dict>

I had it but does nothing here!

in DP4 not need it anymore, 

the system already shows the apple logo. 
but for me yet ... LoL

Boot in legacy mode. It doesn't show in UEFI mode. I don't know why.

Just boot in legacy mode, selecting the partition without the "UEFI:" in front of it.

I do not get it, why is doing that...

EDIT: Got it working...

Mount EFI Partition, delete clover..., (RE)Install clover ( new version ), put <key>CustomLogo</key><false/> and other of yours stuff like resolution, default partition...etc, but do not replace it whit old config file because it will not work.

EDIT: I forgot, you need to install IOGraphicsFamily.kext from few posts back, but its made for DP1 so it have some issues.

Only difference is; 

Without using kext: first part is with apple logo, 2nd is blank ( only progress bar ) but full screen.

Whit kext: Whole boot whit logo and full screen, but it have some graphics issues inside OS so i do not recommend it until its fixed.

Probably the problem is in that its made for/from DP1.

• Like 1