can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

That worked great.  Thanks so much.  Funny thing though, with the new Clover version, I get a light gray background with a dark gray apple and a white progress bar in first stage.  In second stage, I get the black background, white apple logo and white progress bar.  I'll keep working at it but your fix took care of my second stage boot distortion.   :)

For light grey theme, I've done another bin patch and tested with my device. it works great with clover white or black (u can have a mix first stage black and second stage grey , both black , both grey or etc.). it's up to ur clover config and which kext u use.

This is the new bin patch. clean up some unnecessary patch. hope this work for everyone

This new patch have 2 versions: one for grey logo(grey) and one for white logo(black).

[old] is original kext for people who want to revert back.

Edit : For those who don't want to install patch kext can try to use clover on-the-fly kext patch ability. (For Black Only) ==> Please Use Pokenguyen patch (Thanks to him. I try to split to 2 patch but got KP about graphics kext until using his patch)

Edit2 : Clean up Grey patched kext and clover on-the-fly patch. For grey boot, I still can't fix progress meter from white to black.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
	<key>KextsToPatch</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>Comment</key>
			<string>Second Stage Boot1</string>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>
			hcB0XUg=
			</data>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>
			McB0W0g=
			</data>
		</dict>
        <dict>
            <key>Comment</key>
            <string>Second Stage Boot2</string>
            <key>Find</key>
            <data>
            QYjE6wM=
            </data>
            <key>Name</key>
            <key>Replace</key>
            <data>
            QYjE6yM=
            </data>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>

For grey boot please try this patch. First 2 patch is same as black boot (edit some jump condition to fix distorted screen). Patch 3,4 fix some jump condition to force it use grey mode. Clean unnecessary patch from 7 point to 4 point to patch.

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage Patch1</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				hcB0XUg=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				McB0W0g=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage Patch2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QYjE6wM=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				QYjE6yM=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage Patch3</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				/3UcQb8=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				/3QcQb8=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage Patch4</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				YITAdHA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				YDDAdHA=
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>

blackIOGraphicsFamily.kext.zip

oldIOGraphicsFamily.kext.zip

greyIOGraphicsFamily.kext.zip

• Like 4

@alexanderq which kext are you using? Did your second stage success with my patched kext? Could you please send me your original kext which you are using? I will try to disassemble it to compare with my original one.

Thanks, your kext works, but Clover patch-on-the-fly does not work. my kext is the same as your old kext (DP3).

EDIT: This works:

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage patch 1</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				hcB0XUg=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				McB0W0g=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Second Stage patch 2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QYjE6wM=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				QYjE6yM=
				</data>
			</dict>
  • Like 7

Hey guys.

I just tried Clover 2758 and I have the boot logo...grey on grey, no matter which OS version I'm trying to load (Mavericks or Yosemite). And the white loading bar in Yosemite on a light grey background...is not the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Before, it was black background, white loading bar, but no logo. Now I've got the grey logo (instead of white), the grey background (instead of black) and the same white animation (which is intended). Now...isn't it supposed to, somehow, autodetect the configuration and load the appropriate logo and background according to that?

Is there a workaround/fix for this?

post-1303722-0-32857800-1405598203_thumb.jpg

I tried your patch

Using Clover on the fly it boots but no difference.

Replacing the kext gets stuck here at the (same old) boot screen but not frozen as I can write on the console and Caps lock works and HD light blinks.

with -v I get this (solved by copying again the original kext)

post-767483-0-19154400-1405599469_thumb.jpg

Hey guys.

I just tried Clover 2758 and I have the boot logo...grey on grey, no matter which OS version I'm trying to load (Mavericks or Yosemite). And the white loading bar in Yosemite on a light grey background...is not the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Before, it was black background, white loading bar, but no logo. Now I've got the grey logo (instead of white), the grey background (instead of black) and the same white animation (which is intended). Now...isn't it supposed to, somehow, autodetect the configuration and load the appropriate logo and background according to that?

Is there a workaround/fix for this?

I had the same question.  Here's the answer:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2041278

• Like 1

I tried your patch

Using Clover on the fly it boots but no difference.

Replacing the kext gets stuck here at the (same old) boot screen but not frozen as I can write on the console and Caps lock works and HD light blinks.

with -v I get this (solved by copying again the original kext)

attachicon.gifDSC_0014.JPG

sorry maybe it's not working with radeon gpu. can u get second boot stage with -v mode with original kext?

This is whats happening with my GTX, with the latest Clover.

post-221766-0-78369900-1405606498_thumb.jpg

if i set onboard gfx instead i get a "vanilla boot" but without qe/ci or working discrete gpu

P.s.

on the surface pro side with the latest clover and the Family patched kext the boot process is perfect in both stages :)

I have Intel HD4000. This was tested on HD4000 and HD5000 igpu. I don't know if it works on geforce or radeon. Please help me test on other gpu. I will upload new patch for grey boot (both patched kext and clover patch) which I've cleaned many unnecessary patches. However, I still don't know what draw boot progress meter on second boot. With verbose boot, any patches I used can't change screen from grey to black, but progress meter is black as it should be. Then I patched boot.efi to add my board-id to blackmode, progress meter change from black to white. Maybe this kext check boot-args for "black mode" to draw progress meter, but only effect verbose boot.

I think normal boot mode this kext doesn't redraw progress meter. Will check boot.efi again soon.

I have a GPU via my signature.Ok how settings your config.plist and what were you doing all that to make a switch so?

You should make backup of your config.plist. If it doesn't work, you'll be able to change config file in clover boot option by typing your backup filename (eg. configbak.plist). You should have KernelAndKextPatches section and may have KextsToPatch section. Then you need to add my patch to your config.plist, choose between black or gray.

Not sure, my guess it only affects Yosemite.

1. Yes, in 2758, it only affects Yosemite. Not sure about the future versions though.

2. I'm not quite sure why that is not already implemented... I had to add those lines manually in the config.plist. It's not like UseAlternateLogo was set to False. It wasn't anywhere to be found.

Anyway...thank you. That worked. :)

Strangly  with Clover 2767 when I used the key  

<key>CustomLogo</key>
<string>Alternate</string>

On Mavericks the Shyny withe  Apple  appears for about alf sec  :P

On Yosemite its perfect  B)

How to enable this apple on Mavericks  :wink_anim: