GA-H97N-WIFI and Haswell, 2nd Gen: Not ready yet

6 posts in this topic

After more than a week of re-installing (did so about 20 times), trying to get my rig going, I've come to the conclusion that this board and CPU are just too new and will need people that can look at code (I can't) and figure out ways to run it as a hackintosh.

I tried the myHack way to install, and I was able to get 10.9.3 installed but I could not find a way to get to the Desktop without -x. Once there, though, I didn't get any system freeze after 3 minutes.... up to 3 hours and no freeze.

I wiped and tried another way to install. I get to install 10.9.3, but even booting with -x, safe mode, I get about 3 minutes before a system freeze happen. No log, nothing to tell me what's wrong. I had a semi-running system at one point, would only crash if I plugged a USB thing into it. And the HD4600 is not supported yet, I got 1920x1080 but no acceleration so unusable with the apps I need. Then I tried to install a new AppleHDA kext and it corrupted my boot drive badly, I had no other alternatives but to erase and start again.

I wiped and tried this other way again, but this time, keeping things at a bare minimum with only SMBIOS and bootloader.
No USB, disk, network or graphics kexts. Got to boot to the Desktop with -x and.... system freeze after 3 minutes.

So, it is installing something without telling me what it is (guessing under Basic Boot Options, which I can't untick) and it is screwing up something in my setup.  Another strike for the "one-size-fits-all" gang.

Clearly something's not right here. I tried before, with a well-known board (the P5LD2VM) and it was quite easy as many had ironed out the problems before I got to turn it into a hackintosh.

I wish I could help, I'm ok dealing with software in computers, but I have never learned code and I just copy-paste what I can find on the internet. 

I will be taking a step back, and a breather, as this is annoying me to the point of affecting my mood now. I'll look at the progress done, and decide when it's time to come back.

Should you need anything from my setup to test, I'm here. But as for trouble-solving this on my own, I'm done for now. Need to slow down the growth of white hair!

Good luck!

Thanks for keeping us informed of your dramas. I held off buying a h87n because I wasn't sure if I should go the hackintosh route, being such a n00b and all; and now I can't even get that board anymore. It would be nice to finally be able to build a computer that has a chipset that supports a cpu upgrade in a year or so. I have read that the new macbook pro's will be using iris pro 5200 - is there any hope for HD4600 with the 9 series chipset?

• 3 weeks later...

This issue is the onboard GPU (Intel HD4600). You need to add the 9 series device ID for the MEI driver to AppleIntelMEIDriver for onboard Graphics to work. Just because you do not have a full understanding on how a Hack works does not mean the hardware does not work. This board and CPU you have work fine under Mac OS X. 

This issue is the onboard GPU (Intel HD4600). You need to add the 9 series device ID for the MEI driver to AppleIntelMEIDriver for onboard Graphics to work. Just because you do not have a full understanding on how a Hack works does not mean the hardware does not work. This board and CPU you have work fine under Mac OS X. 

Hi,

How to add the ID from single user mode? Or a link maybe? As I'm using vanilla mavericks in VMware.

Many thanks  :)