Nvidia Drivers

ChromeAndroid

16 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if the Nvidia web drivers can be used in Yosemite at this time? It was a pain trying to get them downloaded and turned on in Mavericks and I was wondering if they would work in Yosemite if I attempted the upgrade. I currently am running a 780ti and without the beta drivers I can't get it to work at all. Also if they do work, do you guys think I should just upgrade my current partition (basically I am asking if the drivers would stay on and active) or should I just create a new partition?

I am not worried about compatibility or stability within Yosemite, I am more curious, I only installed Mavericks to really see if I could achieve it, its a hobby, really. Having to redo that whole process would be a crazy hassle since it was nearly impossible the first time around and I think I would only do a new partition if they ended up turning off in the upgrade and I would have to redo it anyways.

I have a time machine backup so if anything goes wrong I can always restore.

Im no pro @ this, but my guess would be no. I tried using the webdriver on the 10.9.3 beta when it was out, and that was a no go. Might be possible to edit the plists to allow it to be installed on other os versions tho. I´d advice you to stick with Mavericks for now, might be a while before NVIDIA releases a driver for Yosemite! (And before Yosemite becomes usable to the extent you would need the NVIDIA driver) :P

GL tho, and keep us posted if you decide to try and find anything!

If you want to give it a try, you need to edit the info.plist in the nvidia web driver version of NVDAStartup.kext to allow it to boot Yosemite. This has a hardcoded build number for the supported version of OS X. So change 13D65 under NVDARequiredOS to 14A238x and see if they load.

my GTX770 works fine with the default drivers.  The Unigine Valley score is pathetic, but the whole things still running from a usb drive at present.

Yea unfortunately my 780ti doesn't work like the 770 because the GK110B chipset. the regular 780 is just GK110 and that works fine, its the TI's that have issues and require the drivers.

If you want to give it a try, you need to edit the info.plist in the nvidia web driver version of NVDAStartup.kext to allow it to boot Yosemite. This has a hardcoded build number for the supported version of OS X. So change 13D65 under NVDARequiredOS to 14A238x and see if they load.

So what I did was, create a new partition and I cloned my original one. When I do the upgrade on the new partition would the Nvidia drivers just stay installed and working or will I have to do something different? Also, in the nvdastartup kext there wasn't a requiredos listing, I also searched the whole thing for 13d65 just to be sure and couldn't find anything. The kext itself, however, is in a folder by itself called 13D65 so I just cloned that folder and renamed the copy with 14A238x to see if that would work. I think I am going to go for it now since I have nothing to lose with my cloned partition.

That was the original NVDAStartup.kext from OS X. It's backed up and replaced by the Web version by the nvidia installer. You need to look at the copy in /System/Library/Extensions though that will likely have gotten replaced with the upgrade install as it's the only kext in the nvidia drivers that has the same name as the stock drivers (all the others have Web appended to the name so they'll be left alone by the OS X upgrade). If it has been replaced you could either try to run the driver installer and see if it checks the system version or extract that kext with Pacifist.

This is all theory so far as I haven't tried it yet. The drivers might not work at all. I'll probably try it later today if I get a chance just to see what happens.

Are there any benefits to the NVIDIA drivers verses <insert whatever kexts here> that already provide QE/CI and "full" graphics for existing builds?

I ran the web driver stuff on Mavericks before switching to Yosemite and I really couldn't tell the difference between what already worked, and NVIDIA's stuff. I can still play most games (though my graphics card is very crappy), and even managed some virtualized full screen gaming (Windows) without a hitch.

They're newer so there may be some performance improvements. Graphics in Yosemite is pretty limited right now as you'll see if you run any benchmarks. My 670 doesn't clock up at all.

I tend to stick with the stock Apple drivers but the current web drivers finally fixed the Kepler OpenCL bug which is significant. I still ended up using the Apple drivers and just copied out the libclh.dylib file from the web drivers to fix the bug in the stock ones.

Anyway, I tried them in Yosemite and they don't work. The system boots to a grey screen and then resets.

Anyway, I tried them in Yosemite and they don't work. The system boots to a grey screen and then resets.

Ah darn So I take it with my 780ti there is probably no over way of getting this working? I'm even trying using just the hd4600 and I can't even get that to go to the installation. I'm about to just give up on Yosemite haha.

I just spent hours trying to get this to work. I changed the build number to "14" in NVDAStartup.kext and set my boot flag to nvd_drv=1 but no success. The screen appears but sloooooow. 7mb ram. Can anyone point to where to look in these files to get them working beyond the NVDAStartup.kext?

I'm wondering as well, since i updated to DP2 i couldn't get into screen unless u deleted kexts, tried using kexts from mavericks, changed to 14A**** but it wont load em on startup. I guess i pretty much screwed it all up, but want to keep trying until tomorrow :P Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How do you get the default driver to work? I have a GTX 760 and I only get 1024x768.

Update: I had to change my SMBIOS to a MacPro and it worked.

Hi Can you please let me know what steps you followed to get your graphic card working? I've NVidia Geforce 435m 2GB card in my Dell laptop and it was working fine in mavericks out of the box however how since I've installed the Yosemite its not working. Even to get to the installer I had to remove the native NVidia kext to get the install to work. now I have everything else working except my graphic card.

please help....