Easy Yosemite 10.10 Final USB Installer - *Updated 10.16.2014

377 posts in this topic

In the EFI partition.

It worked, but now the screen is going all black after DSMOS has arrived message.

The USB HD still keeps on some read activity (led blinking), but the screen stays black.

I've seen that you had the same issue. Did you just change ProductName in the config.plist file? Or did you also change all the other definitions of that specific Mac model?

Tried almost everything.

Changed Intel Injection to NO. Changed Nvidia Injection to YES.

Changed ProductName (under SMBIOS) to iMac12,2 (Clover is pre-defining my system as iMac12,1).

Changed from HDMI to DVI port.

Tried with npci=0x2000 and npci=0x3000. Tried with PCIRootUID=1.

Tried with kext-dev-mode=1.

The problem persists. "DSMOS has arrived" appears and quickly the screen goes black. The external HD still blinks the led, indicating there's reading activity. According to this FAQ http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/FAQ#Q:-The-system-hangs-after-Waiting-for-DSMOS.-It-looks-like-my-HDD-keeps-working., my video card isn't being initialized. It says that I should try enabling and disabling the Inject configs in config.plist, but I've tried that already.

My hardware is:

Intel Core i5 2400 (Sandy Bridge)

GigaByte H67MA-USB3-B3

ALC889

RTL8111E

EVGA GeForce GTX 760

Maybe Clover is just incompatible with this VGA...

Clover has no problem with that card. Don't inject Graphics:

<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

I'm seeing exactly the same problem with the blank screen and I tried almost everything, including this. In fact, this is the default I have been using since Mavericks. I tried true as well (injecting) but it didn't make any difference.

GTX760 btw.

Tried almost everything.

Changed Intel Injection to NO. Changed Nvidia Injection to YES.

Changed ProductName (under SMBIOS) to iMac12,2 (Clover is pre-defining my system as iMac12,1).

Changed from HDMI to DVI port.

Tried with npci=0x2000 and npci=0x3000. Tried with PCIRootUID=1.

Tried with kext-dev-mode=1.

The problem persists. "DSMOS has arrived" appears and quickly the screen goes black. The external HD still blinks the led, indicating there's reading activity. According to this FAQ http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/FAQ#Q:-The-system-hangs-after-Waiting-for-DSMOS.-It-looks-like-my-HDD-keeps-working., my video card isn't being initialized. It says that I should try enabling and disabling the Inject configs in config.plist, but I've tried that already.

My hardware is:

Intel Core i5 2400 (Sandy Bridge)

GigaByte H67MA-USB3-B3

ALC889

RTL8111E

EVGA GeForce GTX 760

Maybe Clover is just incompatible with this VGA...

I have the exact same card as you.

Probably it's the version of the FakeSMC you're using. Try the one I have, I'm attaching it here.

You know, now that I think of, the SMBIOS changed had no effect, because now I'm using my original MacPro6,1 System Definition, and my system works fine with it. I think it had to do with the FakeSMC.kext I'm using:

Also, I do have "InjectSystemID" enabled to help with Sleep:

<key>SystemParameters</key>

<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>D4B0D9AF-ABAB-5CE3-909F-1B82263FC8CB</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Detect</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>

FakeSMC.kext.zip

Guest patel4prez

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with the actual USB Installer itself...

After creating the installer using the script in the first post, I try and install the extra kexts (which have worked in the DP/PB/GM C2 releases of Yosemite), and run into a strange problem.

I can't find /System/Library/Extensions on the USB Installer, and it is because of that (at least I believe), that when I try and boot from the flash drive, it only loads the kexts found in /Extra/Extensions, resulting in an "Unable to find driver for this platform /ACPI/" kernel panic. Previously, I'd have to include an older version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ or S/L/E in order for it to move on, which is why I included it in /Extra/Extensions this time around...

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I should probably note that I've tried Clover (r2953 and 2696), Chameleon (2.2 r2401), and Enoch (r2403) and they all threw back the same kernel panic so I doubt it's the bootloader...

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with the actual USB Installer itself...

After creating the installer using the script in the first post, I try and install the extra kexts (which have worked in the DP/PB/GM C2 releases of Yosemite), and run into a strange problem.

I can't find /System/Library/Extensions on the USB Installer, and it is because of that (at least I believe), that when I try and boot from the flash drive, it only loads the kexts found in /Extra/Extensions, resulting in an "Unable to find driver for this platform /ACPI/" kernel panic. Previously, I'd have to include an older version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ or S/L/E in order for it to move on, which is why I included it in /Extra/Extensions this time around...

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I should probably note that I've tried Clover (r2953 and 2696), Chameleon (2.2 r2401), and Enoch (r2403) and they all threw back the same kernel panic so I doubt it's the bootloader...

Are you using a DSDT? If you are, then disable patching in your clover config.plist. If you need graphics patching then enable it in your clover config.plist. Otherwise, disable pretty much everything. Try booting then. Any extra kexts you need goes in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder. Don't forget fakesmc!

I experienced this one time but unable to replicate it since although I remember this happening to me one or two times in the past and could never figure out why so I stopped using the script method and went back to the manual method of creating it.  I know its cumbersome and you have to add the BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist files to the root of the USB which you never had to do with Mavericks.

What I experienced was it boot to what look like a Recovery partition installer window.  The install progress window showed 5 minutes, I should have known this was the not the normal installer splash screen.  It completed the install but created a data folder in that partition.  Someone mentioned that it could do this like on a real Mac with no partition on it or recovery partition.  They said it will mount and install the ESD then reboot and finish the install process after one reboot.

From this point forward I have wiped all partitions of OSX and any recovery partitions and have started over from scratch and have not been able to reproduce this weird instance. 

Also I cannot use this method to install OSX using Clover Legacy Bios method and unsure why?  It works fine for installing Clover UEFI.  For Clover Legacy it starts the Clover boot and gets to the Clover boot screen but the USB installer drive never shows up.

One more question.  Can this installer method be used on a real mac to install Yosemite if I do not install Clover onto the USB flash drive?

Thanks

Guest patel4prez

Are you using a DSDT? If you are, then disable patching in your clover config.plist. If you need graphics patching then enable it in your clover config.plist. Otherwise, disable pretty much everything. Try booting then. Any extra kexts you need goes in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder. Don't forget fakesmc!

Thanks for the reply!

When you say "EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10" do you mean the EFI partition or the EFI folder on the root of the Installer?

I experienced this one time but unable to replicate it since although I remember this happening to me one or two times in the past and could never figure out why so I stopped using the script method and went back to the manual method of creating it.  I know its cumbersome and you have to add the BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist files to the root of the USB which you never had to do with Mavericks.

What I experienced was it boot to what look like a Recovery partition installer window.  The install progress window showed 5 minutes, I should have known this was the not the normal installer splash screen.  It completed the install but created a data folder in that partition.  Someone mentioned that it could do this like on a real Mac with no partition on it or recovery partition.  They said it will mount and install the ESD then reboot and finish the install process after one reboot.

From this point forward I have wiped all partitions of OSX and any recovery partitions and have started over from scratch and have not been able to reproduce this weird instance. 

Also I cannot use this method to install OSX using Clover Legacy Bios method and unsure why?  It works fine for installing Clover UEFI.  For Clover Legacy it starts the Clover boot and gets to the Clover boot screen but the USB installer drive never shows up.

One more question.  Can this installer method be used on a real mac to install Yosemite if I do not install Clover onto the USB flash drive?

Thanks

Yes it can... I have tested it yesterday on a Mac Mini and an iMac (2007) and both successfully installed. Just run the script, and don't install Clover/any other bootloader. It'll boot to the "Recovery Mode" and you'll be able to Install from there...

I have been attempting to install the Yosemite release with the latest version of Clover. I'm attempting on an XPS 12 (9Q33) device with a swapped out bcm94352z card. Here's a screenshot of a kernel panic I'm getting in the AirportBrcm43224 driver. Any thoughts as to what next things to try would be? I've tried using kext-dev-mode=1, -s, and -v and nothing seems to have helped so far.

Clover has no problem with that card. Don't inject Graphics:

<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

I've already tried that combination.

I'm seeing exactly the same problem with the blank screen and I tried almost everything, including this. In fact, this is the default I have been using since Mavericks. I tried true as well (injecting) but it didn't make any difference.

GTX760 btw.

Did you find anything? Still no success here.

I have the exact same card as you.

Probably it's the version of the FakeSMC you're using. Try the one I have, I'm attaching it here.

You know, now that I think of, the SMBIOS changed had no effect, because now I'm using my original MacPro6,1 System Definition, and my system works fine with it. I think it had to do with the FakeSMC.kext I'm using:

Also, I do have "InjectSystemID" enabled to help with Sleep:

<key>SystemParameters</key>

<dict>
<key>CustomUUID</key>
<string>D4B0D9AF-ABAB-5CE3-909F-1B82263FC8CB</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Detect</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>

What port are you using? HDMI or DVI?

I've tried with the FakeSMC.kext you uploaded, but it didn't work too.

Damn it.

I've already tried that combination.

Did you find anything? Still no success here.

What port are you using? HDMI or DVI?

I've tried with the FakeSMC.kext you uploaded, but it didn't work too.

Damn it.

DisplayPort. 

Also, do you have your internal Intel Graphics Port card enabled? Try disabling it in the BIOS. Or, disable your NV card and try installing with the integrated video first.

DisplayPort. 

Also, do you have your internal Intel Graphics Port card enabled? Try disabling it in the BIOS. Or, disable your NV card and try installing with the integrated video first.

The BIOS is set to detect if there's an external video card.

If there is, it disables the internal one automatically.

I'm using HDMI port. Maybe there's the problem... And I don't have a DisplayPort cable around lol.

Hi,

I have a problem

My usb stick won't boot!

The script only copy the "Install OS X Yosemite" file from the application folder to the usb drive , and clover only 2 folders (EFI and EFI backups) and a file (boot), is it regular? Where did I go wrong?

The BIOS is set to detect if there's an external video card.

If there is, it disables the internal one automatically.

I'm using HDMI port. Maybe there's the problem... And I don't have a DisplayPort cable around lol.

When I had the black screen it didn't matter whether it was DP, or HDMI. Even tried it with DVI-D but no dice.

Perhaps go back and look at your Clover install settings and what drivers are you installing? are you using regular MBR or UEFI boot? Here's what I have in my clover installation settings, for the record:

post-592937-0-57039200-1413653414_thumb.png

When I had the black screen it didn't matter whether it was DP, or HDMI. Even tried it with DVI-D but no dice.

Perhaps go back and look at your Clover install settings and what drivers are you installing? are you using regular MBR or UEFI boot? Here's what I have in my clover installation settings, for the record:

Your installation is almost exactly like mine. The only difference is that I didn't select "Install for UEFI booting only", since my motherboard uses legacy BIOS.

I've chosen to install boot0af in MBR. The Yosemite installer is in a GUID partitioned external USB HD. So the installer has created the EFI partition in this external HD and that's where I'm putting the FakeSMC.kext and Clover drivers were installed.

As for Driver64UEFI, I've chosen the same options as you.

But there's something weird. I've followed the guide in the first post of this topic.

In the "Install OS X Yosemite" partition of the USB external HD, there's no Extensions folder inside /System/Library. There are only 2 folders: Caches and CoreServices.

The /System folder is hidden, so I have to show them by using the Terminal command.

Is this normal? Isn't there supposed to be an Extensions folder inside /S/L in the Yosemite installer partition?

Can you get in the Chat? I'd appreciate if you could help me there.

Edit

Well, I'm starting over. Running the script in the first post right now.

Thanks for the reply!

When you say "EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10" do you mean the EFI partition or the EFI folder on the root of the Installer?

The installer doesn't have an EFI folder in the root folder (unless you made one or there was an update?). I meant the partition. What does your config.plist look like?

The installer doesn't have an EFI folder in the root folder (unless you made one or there was an update?). I meant the partition. What does your config.plist look like?

Now that I've started over, I've noticed the installer partition doesn't have the EFI folder anymore.

I think I know what's happened. The first time I've installed Clover, I didn't choose to install boot0af in the MBR and didn't choose to install Clover in the ESP, so the installer probably has decided to put the EFI folder in the installer partition.

I've installed correctly now. Testing. brb

Still not working. :(

DSMOS has arrived and screen goes black.

Guest patel4prez

Okay, I too made the mistake of not selecting Install to ESP... My bad. 

Installed and fixed that now, and have attached my config file below. Honestly, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Clover, so I'm not too sure what to look for...

config.plist.zip

Thanks again for all the help.

I've followed this guide but Clover won't boot (v2953/2957)

I installed it in the same partition where the the script copy the installer app (GUID - HFS+)

Do I have to install it in a FAT32 partition instead?

Did you choose the right options during Clover installation?