How to install OS X Yosemite on a macintosh using Clover

8 posts in this topic

Title should be mackintosh not macintosh

Will be rewriting soon.

The clover part is a bit finicky, try using an existing one or just use google.

REMEMBER: Here is the download link!

Download   Download   Download   Download

Hey guys! Today I have a guide for you on how to install OS X Yosemite on a mackintosh with clover. So, let's get started!

NOTES: 1. THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE! MAKE A BACKUP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KEEP YOUR DATA!

2. Clover is (as of posting) the ONLY working boot loader for this develop release.

3. We WILL be ERASING the drive to put in Yosemite. (Make backup and use migration utility)

Edits: Rewriting (First guide I’ve made)

Adding: More Pictures

Step 1. Get the developer preview application

I don't care how you get this, I recommend getting it the legitimate way like I did. If you don't have a developer account, then go to www.apple.com/osx/preview/ and hope you get in.

Step 2: Grab the attachments below. These consist of the following:

Clover revision r2692

ShowHiddenFiles  (Replacing with custom script soon)

ReadMe guide  (This guide but in case you have no internet access)

Step 2b. Grab your system Critical kexts

Grab the kexts your system needs to run. Only vital things like NullCpuPowerManagement if you need it ect. 

Step 3: Get the package contents of the developer preview.

Right-Click or Command-Click and press the "Show package contents" button.

Put it aside

Step 4. Set up the USB drive

a. Open disk utility

b. Select your drive and go to the "Partitions" tab, then select 1 partition in the drop down menu (THIS WILL FORMAT THE DRIVE), In the other drop down select mac os extended (journaled), then click "Options" , GUID Partition Table, then partition the drive.

c. Put disk utility to the side, we still need it.

Step 5: Mount the proper installer DMG’s

a. Go back to the package contents Finder window

b. Go to Contents —> SharedSupport —> Mount InstallESD.dmg

c. Mount BaseSystem.dmg (If there isn’t one, then make sure you have showhiddenfiles on)

Step 6: Writing the OS to the drive

a. Open disk utility

b. Click on your flash drive (That should have just been formatted) and go to the “Restore” tab.

c. (From the disk utility sidebar) Drag the partition of your flash drive (The thing DIRECTLY under the flash drive name with the white disk drive icon) to the white box next to “Destination”, and find basesystem.dmg, and drag the partition DIRECTLY UNDER BASESYSTEM.DMG to the box next to “Source”

d.Click Restore

Step 7: Now that the OS is there, let’s add the hackintosh touch

a. If a whole bunch of windows pop up after Step 6 part d, then just close them all.

b. In, disk utility, find your flash drive.

c. Right/command click the partition (Should be renamed to OS X Base System) on the flash drive and click “Open”

d. In disk utility, right/command click again and rename it to “Yosemite Install” (No parentheses)

e. Open OS X InstallESD (Mounted version)

f. Copy the “Packages” folder to clipboard.

g. Go back to the flash drive that we just renamed and within the drive, navigate to System —> Installation. There is an alias (Shortcut) to the packages folder. On a mac, this would redirect and run normally. But on a hackintosh, we have to do more work.

h. Delete this alias.

i. Paste the packages folder you copied to the System —> Installation folder.

j. Open the “OS X InstallESD” that we mounted earlier and copy BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg. (If these are not shown, then make sure that showhiddenfiles is on)

k. Go back to the root of the flash drive (The one with all of the folders and the Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview, etc. ) and paste BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg here.

TIP: If you get an error while copying, eject the flash drive and reinsert it. The error means it thinks the alias is still there, but it’s not, So when we try to name it to something that the index thinks is there, when it’s not, it gets an error. Ejecting and plugging back in the drive re-indexes it so that it will realize that the alias file is gone.

Step 8: Install A Bootloader

REMEMBER: If you already have a working clover drive (Not the one were about to erase) then skip this section.

a. Open the clover installer from the download

b. Click continue and agree until you reach the screen with “Change Install Location…” and click it. Select the flash drive your using (Should be renamed to “Yosemite Install”)

c. Click Continue

d. Click “Customize”

e. Use as follows

Bootloader Tab:

Depends on hardware config

refer to www.clover-wiki.zetam.org/

Under CloverEFI

Make sure it’s 64-bit SATA

Under Drivers64UEFI

EmuVariableUefi-64

OsxAptioFixDrv-64

PartitionDxe-64

Step 9: add kexts  {TIP: To skip this step, drag the “kexts” folder from the attached DMG to the drive}

a. Download FakeSMC.kext from InsanelyMac or OSx86.com or the downloaded attachment zip.

b. At the root of the flash drive, create a “kexts” folder.

c. Put the newly downloaded FakeSMC.kext file in the kext folder.

d. Add any other VITAL kexts from

Step 10: Yeah, there’s more. (PRINT THE REST OF THIS GUIDE OUT)

a. Restart and boot to clover

b. Go to options

c. set boot args to “-s kext-dev-mode=1”

d. boot to installer

e. wait and you should be in a UEFI shell.

Type the following line by line

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

chmod -R775 /kexts/FakeSMC.kext

chown -R root:wheel /kexts/FakeSMC.kext

cp -R /kexts/FakeSMC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

exit

f. The installer should boot up.

g. Go to disk utility and format the HARD DRIVE/SSD to install Yosemite on with the name “Macintosh”

h. Install using the given instructions

i. Restart to the installer again.

j. open terminal

k. use the command:

cp -R /volumes/Yosemite\ Install/kexts/‘FakeSMC.kext’ /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions

l. Restart

Step 11: We’re done! Boot Up! No.

a. open clover

b. go to options, and add the boot args:

-v kext-dev-mode=1 GraphicsEnabler=No

There we have it! Now guys, this is my first guide so please tell me what I did wrong. I am rewriting this entirely. Also, how do you add the quote effect for commands?

• Like 1

Under CloverEFI

Make sure it’s 64-bit SATA

Under Drivers64UEFI

EmuVariableUefi-64

OsxAptioFixDrv-64

PartitionDxe-64

Same install clover on HDD or SSD or not.How to install Clover on partition after installation Yosemite.

Thanks.....

Which graphic you have?

I use an NVIDIA GTX 760, if that's what your asking.

Same install clover on HDD or SSD or not.How to install Clover on partition after installation Yosemite.

Thanks.....

I don't really understand the question. Now, To install clover AFTER install on the HDD/SSD. You need to find out if your motherboard supports UEFI. Once you do that, then check UEFI if it IS compatible with it. Or, use the other options. You may want to refer to http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Installation#Using-the-installer

can't see any graphics?!

Well, what graphics card do you have? If you don't have one, then what APU/Built-In graphics do you use?

Also, try booting also with verbose.

P.S:Is it clover not working, or mac not working (graphics-wise)

• Like 1

You can skip step 5-7 and do this.

5. Run the App (Apple Way), point it to USB

Reboot, select USB in Clover...away you go.

Easiest way by far.

Oh really? Thanks! I will test it now!

By the way STLVNUB, I see that you are a coder. Do you mind checking out the topic I made in 10.10 Yosemite post installation? It's a little topic for others to request kexts to be made. If you do make kexts, please check it out!

• 1 month later...