Help Duel Booting W7 + Mav using bios

Manolo1

1 post in this topic

Hello guys. I only have one machine being a inspiron 530 which is limited to bios only. I've been searching high and low for a way to duel boot the two operating systems. At times I felt like I was very close, but I've yet to produce the desired result. Here are the things that I've tried..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/320700-boot-windows-7-8-gpt-bios-system-no-hybrid-mbrs-duet.html

This source explains that it can be done by converting the partition table to GPT then creating a boot usb for windows. This worked until it was time to install Mavericks. When I first went to format the desired partition, disk utility performed like it was formatting but not like it was supposed to. According to gparted, it added a 200mb efi partition and changed file system on all the partitions to hsf+ (including installed windows partition) so windows was gone. I couldn't reinstall Windows 7 on the same partition being that I changed the scheme to GPT. Also at this point, it still would not let install Mavericks. I had to erase the target partition a second time for it to to make it journaled.

I ended up reinstalling windows and trying again. This time, I backed up the partition before and after changing the scheme to GPT. The Mavericks Installer once again killed the ntsf file systems but the plan was to try one or both back ups of the partition and pray it works with the Windows boot usb. I even redid the steps for the usb just so there wouldn't be a problem on that end. Sadly, both backups of the Windows 7 partition failed to transfer over. If anyone has any ideas, please shoot. Thanks in advance.