Java for 10.10 Yosemite

asapreta

11 posts in this topic

For the current Version available, jre-7u60-macosx-x64, Java won't install on Yosemite due to version conflict.

The installer claims it needs at least 10.7.3 but you have 10.10  :w00t: and won't let the installation proceed.

You need to spoof the system version, editing the following:

Go to System->Library->CoreServices inside your OS X hard drive and open the file "SystemVersion.plist" with TextEdit. Change the system version listed under "ProductVersion" to whatever you desire. 

You might not be able to write to the file because it's system-protected (in Lion, TextEdit will let you unlock system files). To work around this problem, "Save As" this file to the desktop, or some other random place where you can find it. While saving it, make sure you uncheck the option to convert it into a .txt file.

Doesn't need to restart. Just install Java and restore the default value.

Source: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/how-to-spoof-your-version-of-mac-os-x.html

• Like 2

I have the latest update now... what i did: followed the guide above on system version 10.9.3 and then installed the the update 60 afterwards without restarting. This made it finish without errors and then afterwards changed the version to 10.10 again.

Now on java 7 update 60 @ OS X 10.10

I think changing the check in the package from 10.7.3 to 10.10.0 would be better way to go.

it will not do the trick

just need to edit "Distribution" file in the package

find this line:

if(tProductVersion < supportedVersion)

and change it to:

if(system.compareVersions(tProductVersion, supportedVersion) < 0)

Moreover, it seems to be the only thing changed in the last Java 8 Update 20 release so it can be compatible with Yosemite

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_10_10.xml